Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Raspberry Pi basics

As usual, the search function on this list has proven not very useful

I'm contemplating converting my music server arrangements to a Raspberry Pi, possibly the Pi4. I currently have a micro-size Windows box serving that function, but think it might be safer to convert. I have a USB monitor and keyboard, along with an external HDD for music storage, attached to the FitPC3 I'm currently using. I'm thinking I might have to get an HDMI monitor, although the little USB monitor is working fine.

So, I need to know basics, like installing LMS on the Pi, mounting the external drive, connecting to the network, etc etc.

Is there a guide that I couldn't find?

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post

I'm contemplating converting my music server arrangements to a Raspberry Pi, possibly the Pi4. I currently have a micro-size Windows box serving that function, but think it might be safer to convert. I have a USB monitor and keyboard, along with an external HDD for music storage, attached to the FitPC3 I'm currently using. I'm thinking I might have to get an HDMI monitor, although the little USB monitor is working fine.

So, I need to know basics, like installing LMS on the Pi, mounting the external drive, connecting to the network, etc etc.

R.
    The subject is very much a moving target, but I think this is as good a starting point as you are likely to find:

https://www.picoreplayer.org/landingzone_option2.html

This is all about setting up LMS on a Pi running the piCorePlayer OS, which is probably the best bet if you are a Linux newcomer. You might eventually consider moving to another OS on the Pi if you want to do much more than just run LMS and a Squeezelite player on it. If you're going to dedicate the Pi to just those tasks, pCP is an excellent OS choice.
    LMS 8 nightly; 3 Squeezelite players connected by powerline ethernet; 5 wireless players connected via Airplay Bridge; 1 SqueezeAmp player
    no high-end or esoteric audio gear
    1 Squeezebox Radio (upgraded UE Smart Radio) now mostly retired

Also try
    Google
    Search_for site:slimdevices.com
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

R.
    Agree with the previous reply. You don't really need a monitor or keyboard attached to the Pi as everything can be done remotely.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I've been running LMS on a Raspberry Pi 3B for some years now, and I'd definitely recommend it over a full spec computer. It is hooked up by ethernet to my router, as is my NAS which holds the music files.
    I have never used a monitor or keyboard with it - if I need to access the server other than via its web interface I ssh in via a terminal on my laptop.
    There is a developing documentation site for piCorePlayer at https://docs.picoreplayer.org/
    I would definitely recommend piCorePlayer, I have always found it pretty straightforward, and assistance via these forums is always quick and helpful.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/pCP6.1.0/LMS8.0.0/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare Pi2/piCorePlayer
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi Zero/pCP6.1.0/LMS8.0.0/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Okay then, I've definitely been having some conceptual issues. I'd imagined the Pi running some version of Linux as OS and installing LMS. I'm unclear on the role of PiCorePlayer. Is it actually the OS installed on the Pi, or is it an extra layer? And is it necessary for installing LMS? And what about SqueezeLite vs LMS? Or is that even a sensible question?

Perhaps someone could lay out the basic architecture for me.

R.
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

There are several supported OS for the Raspberry pi

http://https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/

Raspberry PI OS is used by most people for LMS

Squeezelite is the player and can be installed as a standalone player or in combination with LMS as a Player/Server.

Regard piCorePlayer as an OS which allows Player/server as either a combiantion or an independent device

Max2Play is an OS similar to pCP withe free installation but with the possibility for add-ons to be installed for a small fee

ronnie

Thanks. So if I will never use the Pi as a player, only as a server, I don't need to think about PiCorePlayer at all. I can just go with the Pi OS, install LMS on the Pi and proceed. I assume there are instructions for that.

Similarly, I don't need SqueezeLite if I'm not going to be using the Pi as a player.

The next question is about an external HDD; my 1tb drive is almost full, and I think I will be copying all the content onto a 2tb drive; I'll then need to make it available to the Pi. Any issues with that? Do I need to set up the drive (partition, etc) using the Pi OS, or will it accept a drive set up for Windows?

I feel like such a noob asking what I'm sure are basic questions!

R.
    Last edited by RonM; 2020-10-14 at 13:17.
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

piCorePlayer = piCore + squeezelite + web GUI

The web GUI includes a lot of installation and configuration scripts.

You add an extra extension or 2 for LMS (or other features).

https://picoreplayer.gitlab.io/pCP-d.../picoreplayer/

Instead of piCorePlayer you could use any OS you like and install LMS manually.

Thanks. So if I will never use the Pi as a player, only as a server, I don't need to think about PiCorePlayer at all. I can just go with the Pi OS, install LMS on the Pi and proceed. I assume there are instructions for that.

Similarly, I don't need SqueezeLite if I'm not going to be using the Pi as a player.

R.
    If you install piCorePlayer, you can disable the player (squeezelite), install LMS and just use the Pi as a server.

If you install piCorePlayer you don't need any Linux skills whatsoever, all set up is done on your PC/laptop/Mac using your usual web browser.

Loads of help and support available in these forums, from the pCP devs and users.
    Server - LMS 8.0.1 Pi4B 4GB/Flirc case/pCP v7.0.0b6 - 74K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B/pCP 7.0.0b6/pi screen/Allo Boss DAC Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 6.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Garage - Squeezebox Boom + Fostex sub
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Radio

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 7xRPi