Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    So, I have to decide.

Will I continue with the little FitPC3 (running Windows 7), totally stable, never any issues, and either take the risk of updating to Win10 or just leave it alone?

Or should I go to the minor trouble and expense to set up a Pi and have the distraction and pleasure and no-doubt irritation of doing so?

Need to ruminate on this.

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    So, I have to decide.

Will I continue with the little FitPC3 (running Windows 7), totally stable, never any issues, and either take the risk of updating to Win10 or just leave it alone?

Or should I go to the minor trouble and expense to set up a Pi and have the distraction and pleasure and no-doubt irritation of doing so?

R.
    Why not do both? It's pretty useful to have a backup server in case your usual server stops working or loses functionality. Plus tinkering with a Raspberry Pi is always fun.
    I'm not really much of a Windows user these days (my office PC in on Win10, but I've been working from home since Covid-19 hit) but it does seem to me that a Pi running piCorePlayer as a single function unit is easier to keep running once you set it up.

I've recently put together two Pi-based servers. One is intended for use in the office (assuming I ever return there), the other as a more mobile server, based on a Pi Zero and attached HDD. Either of these could be switched into action if something were to happen to my main server.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/pCP6.1.0/LMS8.0.0/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare Pi2/piCorePlayer
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi Zero/pCP6.1.0/LMS8.0.0/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

So, I have to decide.

R.
    I experience more irritation with Windows, and if you have ever had the "startup repair" loop that never repairs anything, the emotion is stronger than irritation (That might be new to windows 10).

I never looked back from running LMS on a Pi instead of PC, and if you nothing else, the power consumption of a pi running 24/7 is much less.

If you follow the guide here (I think it's been posted before) https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/ you will be up and running a picore in a short time.

You could even half invest/experiment. Buy a pi and use a thumb drive with a small amount of music, it mounts the same way as a HDD in PiCore. If you like it, then get the HDD if you haven't already invested. If you don't prefer it, like Robert said, you have a backup server in your desk drawer

Jim

PS - If you do decide to upgrade to windows 10, it is still offered (unadvertised) from Microsoft for free

I might just do the Pi as a project, keeping the Windows machine for the time being. I do have several Windows devices in the household, 3 Win10 and 1 Win10s (on a Surface Go), without any real problems. I've kept Win7 on the music server just because there didn't seem a compelling reason to upgrade, which would require a new round of device drivers for the FitPC. I do know I could get 10 for free.

I'll upgrade the HDD with the music to a 2tb, and if I build the Pi will maybe try mounting the old drive as a test.

R.
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

I might just do the Pi as a project, keeping the Windows machine for the time being. I do have several Windows devices in the household, 3 Win10 and 1 Win10s (on a Surface Go), without any real problems. I've kept Win7 on the music server just because there didn't seem a compelling reason to upgrade, which would require a new round of device drivers for the FitPC. I do know I could get 10 for free.

I'll upgrade the HDD with the music to a 2tb, and if I build the Pi will maybe try mounting the old drive as a test.

R.
    That's a very sensible approach that lets you proceed at your own pace. No time pressure. If a time comes when the FitPC3 is no longer usable, you should be much better prepared by then to transition to the Pi.
    LMS 8 nightly; 3 Squeezelite players connected by powerline ethernet; 5 wireless players connected via Airplay Bridge; 1 SqueezeAmp player
    no high-end or esoteric audio gear
    1 Squeezebox Radio (upgraded UE Smart Radio) now mostly retired

Okay, one more pre-purchase question.

I'll be getting a Pi4 kit; a basic starter kit (board, ventilated case, SD card with NOOBS, power supply, hdmi cable, etc), which costs just $10 more than the 3B+ corresponding kit, and comes with 2gb RAM and a 32gb card (3B+ has 1 gb RAM and a 16gb card, and a slower processor).

The question is, is there any reason why I'd want to upgrade to 4gb RAM? I occasionally have a brief fantasy that I might want to play with the device in ways other than as a music server, although I suppose that is unlikely.

r.
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Okay, one more pre-purchase question.

I'll be getting a Pi4 kit; a basic starter kit (board, ventilated case, SD card with NOOBS, power supply, hdmi cable, etc), which costs just $10 more than the 3B+ corresponding kit, and comes with 2gb RAM and a 32gb card (3B+ has 1 gb RAM and a 16gb card, and a slower processor).

The question is, is there any reason why I'd want to upgrade to 4gb RAM? I occasionally have a brief fantasy that I might want to play with the device in ways other than as a music server, although I suppose that is unlikely.

r.
    The only reason I went for a 4GB Pi4 is that a lot of memory is used during a full rescan when the MusicIP plugin is installed. Now a new alternative plugin which allows MusicIP to work with Don't Stop The Music means that is no longer an issue for me. 2GB is easily enough. If you ever want to mess around buy another one in the future.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    The only reason I went for a 4GB Pi4 is that a lot of memory is used during a full rescan when the MusicIP plugin is installed. Now a new alternative plugin which allows MusicIP to work with Don't Stop The Music means that is no longer an issue for me. 2GB is easily enough. If you ever want to mess around buy another one in the future.

I have built on 3B+ servers (only), and am planning on building a new one for a friend, and was also wondered about the memory option, thanks for your insight. Further, as Ron indicates the price between the 3B and 4 is not significant, so is the choice of the 4 a no brainer? Or, does the 4 run hotter/need a fan cooled case? I ask because my 3B+ systems do everything I ask, and I don't think I am missing anything not being in the 4 club, am I? I guess I am asking if there is anything really significant (other than newer, faster) that would make the 4 the best/only choice? Is there anything that would favor the 3B+ (cooler running?)

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    I have built on 3B+ servers (only), and am planning on building a new one for a friend, and was also wondered about the memory option, thanks for your insight. Further, as Ron indicates the price between the 3B and 4 is not significant, so is the choice of the 4 a no brainer? Or, does the 4 run hotter/need a fan cooled case? I ask because my 3B+ systems do everything I ask, and I don't think I am missing anything not being in the 4 club, am I? I guess I am asking if there is anything really significant (other than newer, faster) that would make the 4 the best/only choice? Is there anything that would favor the 3B+ (cooler running?)

Jim
    If you are happy with the 3B+ stick with it. My previous server was a 3B and it was fine except I needed 2GB swap memory to stop it crashing during the full rescan. The Pi4 does run hotter but with the latest firmware and a decent case it is comparable to the 3B. The Pi4 does have USB3 ports which speeded up transfer of files over the network.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    I have two 3's and one 4. One of the 3's runs as a server/player, the 4 only runs as a player. I found that 4 is consistently 10 degrees warmer than the 3's, but still well within acceptable levels (55 max, running in a closed case, but with a cooler rib on the CPU).