Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tiny LMS - adding Favorites

I use LMS8 on a pCP 1.6, but I setup a "simple" system for a non technical friend who doesn't live in the area, so tech support is phone/email. In an effort to save him the $50 for a Pi, and the technical aspects of understanding separate music "server" and a "player", I skipped the Pi, got him a touch, added his library to a jump drive, plugged it in, and we manually created favorite radio stations by searching and adding.

He loves it btw....

Over time, a few of the favorite stream urls have gone dead, and in some cases he can't search and fine anything through the "radio->search" (Tunein) menu.

Of course with my pCP (or any LMS) I can go to the web, find non tune in urls that work and add them through the LMS web interface, or even access the favorites.opml file. I am wondering if something similar can be done with the touch and Tiny LMS?

It would be great if I can help him do any of the following. Remember, this is remote support, I don't have his touch in front of me:
    1) Manually enter a URL favorite into tinyLMS
    2) He can manually enter a url through mysb.com, could one then be "imported" to Tiny LMS?
    3) If I could send him a favorites.opml file, it lit located somewhere on the jump drive, or is it accessible in the touch?

I realize that this is trailing edge technology and some of the community would prefer I abandon Tiny LMS . I am starting to lean toward spending the $, and setting up a pCP for him and helping him understand how to plub in the jump drive and use it. I would make remote support easier.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    I use LMS8 on a pCP 1.6, but I setup a "simple" system for a non technical friend who doesn't live in the area, so tech support is phone/email. In an effort to save him the $50 for a Pi, and the technical aspects of understanding separate music "server" and a "player", I skipped the Pi, got him a touch, added his library to a jump drive, plugged it in, and we manually created favorite radio stations by searching and adding.

He loves it btw....

Over time, a few of the favorite stream urls have gone dead, and in some cases he can't search and fine anything through the "radio->search" (Tunein) menu.

Of course with my pCP (or any LMS) I can go to the web, find non tune in urls that work and add them through the LMS web interface, or even access the favorites.opml file. I am wondering if something similar can be done with the touch and Tiny LMS?

It would be great if I can help him do any of the following. Remember, this is remote support, I don't have his touch in front of me:
    1) Manually enter a URL favorite into tinyLMS
    2) He can manually enter a url through mysb.com, could one then be "imported" to Tiny LMS?
    3) If I could send him a favorites.opml file, it lit located somewhere on the jump drive, or is it accessible in the touch?

I realize that this is trailing edge technology and some of the community would prefer I abandon Tiny LMS . I am starting to lean toward spending the $, and setting up a pCP for him and helping him understand how to plub in the jump drive and use it. I would make remote support easier.

Jim
    Why can't he just connect his Touch to mysb.com?
    Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP v7.0.1 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B/pCP 7.0.1/pi screen/Hifiberry DAC HAT Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 6.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Garage - Squeezebox Boom + Fostex sub
    Dining Room - Pi3B/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Why can't he just connect his Touch to mysb.com?
    yes, he could, the option I forgot to list...

When I helped him setup his favorites, we did it in a folder organization:

Eclectric-

>Radio Paradise
    >Pear Radio
    Blues -
    > Aardvark Radio
    > Johnny Winter's Blues Station....
    Classic Rock -

etc, etc.

In mysb.com it's just a list, no folders

Also, I would have him have to switch back and forth between mysb.com and tiny LMS for his library. He's kind of a "make this thing play music" guy

Thats why I was wondering about url->tinylms

Jim

This doesn't help with having to switch back and forth to mysb.com, but regarding favorites in folders, here's what I do. I take my favorites.opml file from my currently running LMS (that is setup with subfolder organization), and I save that on my dropbox account. Then I copy the URL link of that dropbox file (favorites.opml) and make that a favorite in mysqueezebox.com. After you paste in the link there, the end of the link may look like: "....favorites.opml?dl=0" (without the quotes). if it is "dl=0" change it to "1", that is, "dl=1" instead. Give this a name in the mysb.com favorites (mine is Gary's LMS Favorites), and now when you are on mysb.com, you'll see this favorite. Clicking on it will show you the entire subfolder structure.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0/4TB>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

That looks like a great solution since it would allow Redrum to manage the list by changing the contents of the internet copy.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    That looks like a great solution since it would allow Redrum to manage the list by changing the contents of the internet copy.
    And now that I think about it, this could actually solve the problem of switching back and forth from tinyLMS to mysb.com. I'm not sure about tinyLMS, but in regular LMS, assuming you have your mysb.com credentials entered in LMS, when you look at favorites in LMS, the last item listed is "On mysqueezebox.com". So assuming tinyLMS is the same, you could simply remove all the other favorites, and your friend would be left with only one favorite...."On mysqueezebox.com" and he'd click on this and then on the favorite that was saved earlier (my "Gary's LMS Favorites") and everything would be there in subfolders. And could be updated from the internet by anyone with access to the dropbox account where favorites.opml stored and the mysb.com account.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    And now that I think about it, this could actually solve the problem of switching back and forth from tinyLMS to mysb.com. I'm not sure about tinyLMS, but in regular LMS, assuming you have your mysb.com credentials entered in LMS, when you look at favorites in LMS, the last item listed is "On mysqueezebox.com". So assuming tinyLMS is the same, you could simply remove all the other favorites, and your friend would be left with only one favorite...."On mysqueezebox.com" and he'd click on this and then on the favorite that was saved earlier (my "Gary's LMS Favorites") and everything would be there in subfolders. And could be updated from the internet by anyone with access to the dropbox account where favorites.opml stored and the mysb.com account.
    what a clever idea! Thank you! I'll play with it on my account and try to get a mirror of my favorites on my mysb.com account. If successful, I can then modify his mysb account (I have his credentials).

The idea of fool proofing it by deleting all other favorites, eliminates confusion. Plus, when going back to my music it always suggest connecting to your library, so going back and forth will be predictable for him.

I wonder (and will find out) if you have to be logged into dropbox for this to work?

Thank you, I'll report back.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    what a clever idea! Thank you! I'll play with it on my account and try to get a mirror of my favorites on my mysb.com account. If successful, I can then modify his mysb account (I have his credentials).

The idea of fool proofing it by deleting all other favorites, eliminates confusion. Plus, when going back to my music it always suggest connecting to your library, so going back and forth will be predictable for him.

I wonder (and will find out) if you have to be logged into dropbox for this to work?

Thank you, I'll report back.

Jim
    Once the favorites.opml file is saved on dropbox, and then the URL for the link to the file is created and used in mysb.com, you don't need to be logged into dropbox for this to work. (So the favorites.opml file can be on your dropbox account and he doesn't need any login access....just the URL pasted into his mysb.com account.) The only hiccup I had was that my pasted link had d=0 instead of d=1. Once I changed end of URL to d=1, all worked perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Once the favorites.opml file is saved on dropbox, and then the URL for the link to the file is created and used in mysb.com, you don't need to be logged into dropbox for this to work. (So the favorites.opml file can be on your dropbox account and he doesn't need any login access....just the URL pasted into his mysb.com account.) The only hiccup I had was that my pasted link had d=0 instead of d=1. Once I changed end of URL to d=1, all worked perfectly.
    really cool, like I said, I'll test it. My friend and I share allot of favorites so he can use my favorites.opml via mysb.com, then if he wants to add some of his own, they can be local to tiny, or even a separate mysb.com favorite. I'm sure he will get used to it.

The great thing is when a link gets broken, or a I find a new station he might like, I can update my favorites.opml and tell him "check out..."

the flexibility of the sb environment makes me giggle some times! Thanks for your input...

Jim

Yep, what a great music ecosystem.