Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

slimserver.pl command line & Linux file permissions

Hi - I'm trying to update one of my plugins and usually I do that under Windows where I run slimserver.pl from the command line. It's faster to start/stop and I can use ad-hoc printf for debugging. Unfortunately, that plugin connects to a HTTPS site that seems to have the issue with the aging SSL under Windows, so negotiation fail due to lack of cipher agreement. I assume that this site wants some TLS 1.3 transforms.

So, as I can't find a solution, I'm back to debugging under Linux. For personal reasons, I prefer to do editing under Windows (Notepad++), so I was hoping to have the cache/log/prefs directoy in a network or shared folder (Linux box is in a VM) and edit the plugin files from there, but run slimserver.pl under Linux where all I need really is to simply ^C it and see stdout easily. Unfortunately, whatever option I've tried slimserver.pl does not starts as soon as it is on a non-local folder. I assume it is trying to change some permissions and fails.

I know I can try to use wine and notepad++ but it crashed too often or use other editors. I'm fine with vim but I'm much faster with notepad++

So ... any chance to have slimserver folders usable on shared folders?

Thanks

NB: Iĺve also tried Windows NFS which refuses to work (canĺt write ...)
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2020-09-29 at 03:41.
    LMS 7.9 on Pi 3B+ & Odroid-C2 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, Riva 1 & 3

slimserver.pl command line & Linux file permissions

Are you trying to store the Linux side prefs on a share hosted on the
    Windows box? Or are you trying to share your Linux prefs folder with the
    Windows host? The latter certainly should work without any further fiddling.

As you're running a VM: many virtualization systems off you to mount a
    folder from the host in a VM. Technically I believe it's just a share
    from the client's POV, too. But anyway: did you try that?

One other solution I've been using in the past is some kind of cloud
    syncing: share a folder in- and outside over a service like Dropbox or
    your NAS' version of it, or Seafile, whatever. There can be a little
    latency, but it did work quite well. I actually often edit on Mac and
    run on whatever VM I'm working with (Windows or Linux).

There also are tools to map drive's over SSH. That probably has similar
    latency as syncing, but wouldn't require a lot of tools on the VM side.

--

Michael

Maybe try running LMS on a WSL 2 subsystem in Windows? I think you should be able to edit the Linux LMS files directly from Notepad++ in Windows.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...le-permissions

What versions of Net SSLeay, IO Socket SSL and Mozilla CA are you using for windows?

I have created a perl package manager repository for windows which might help.

Code:
    http://ralph.irving.sdf.org/ppm4/MSWin32-x86/5.14/1400/package.xml
    The repository now includes Net-SSLeay 1.88 built with OpenSSL 1.1.1.h. See this post for details.
    Last edited by ralphy; 2020-10-06 at 08:04. Reason: Test build of Net-SSLeay 1.88 available
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Thanks to all - as sad as it sounds, the NFS Windows mount did not work (was able to read by not write) ... until I rebooted Windows. Seems that the uid/gid forcing was not applied till that.

@ralphy, thanks and I also need to update from the very old ActivePerl 5.14. as there is definitively an issue with security transforms agreement and that site my plugin needs to access to, but I was trying to separate issues though as my main problem was with LMS wrt Net::HTTP(S)::NB update and my added SOCKS proxy. All good now, but it was more handy to use the Linux runtime than cumulating Windows/SSL and that Socks problem.
    LMS 7.9 on Pi 3B+ & Odroid-C2 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, Riva 1 & 3