Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

piCorePlayer Documentation

Hi piCorePlayer users,

The new online "piCorePlayer Documentation" can be found here:

https://docs.picoreplayer.org/

https://picoreplayer.gitlab.io/pCP-docs/

The content should be a close mirror of the original "piCoreplayer Help".

Comments welcomed. I already have a list of improvements from the other guys.

regards
    Greg
    Last edited by Greg Erskine; 2020-10-07 at 12:59.

This is only the beginning of the process of moving to the new online documentation system.

[We still need to remove the old piCorePlayer Help and integrate these pages into the piCorePlayer main web site.] DONE.

Some history can be found here:

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...er-Online-Help
    Last edited by Greg Erskine; 2020-10-07 at 13:02.

How can people contribute to this?
    Whatĺs required exactly
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

hi d6jg,

As of today:

People can simply attach a text or Markdown file to this thread.

In the future:

Once I finished removing the old piCorePlayer Help and fixing the links on the piCorePlayer landing pages, we will make the piCorePlayer Documentation GitLab repository public, so a normal pull request can be done.

I will also have to document these processes.

regards
    Greg

I'm excited to see this effort moving forward. I think you've chosen a solid set of tools.

Greg (and others);

I took a quick look through, this is wonderful, thank you for the effort to date. I do have a thought though...

When I setup my first picore player, I followed the "how to" step by step and was successful, but often didn't understand "why", what the purpose of the step was. For example "resize the file system", "Move Cache and prefs", etc. After a lot of time in these forums, addressing issues, reading the efforts of others, I slowly understood much of what those steps mean, what they are actually doing. I got to understand the system. Of course following the how tos I got up and operational quick, I just didn't fully understand what I had just built, and therefore what I could/should change.

For example, I get frequent power failures with a picore (server only) and attached USB HDD. The power interruptions caused the HDD mount to get lost. I had to remount the HDD and sometimes rebuild LMS. All this because I moved Cache and Prefs to the HDD. Now, I keep them on the SD, in fact, I created a third partition on the SD for cache and prefs (per a recommendation from Paul). I never understood what the step meant, or that it was not required to have an operational system. I now (through the forums) know.

So, if I can make a suggestion (I would be willing to help if I could), maybe think to add some "what it is you are doing and why" to the steps. EG:

1) Why do I have to resize the file system? Are there factors that would make a user want to make it even bigger?
    2) When I am moving cache and prefs, what does this mean? Even adding, "this step is recommended but optional because..."

Not trying to create extra work, just thought I would give you a perspective from the experience I went through as a LMS vet, but a Picore noob (at the time). I might have been more mystified if I was a full noob

Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your input.

The new publishing process makes it a lot easier write and update documentation, so that is a major obstacle removed.

I agree with what you are saying but as a general rule, but documentation is never going to be just right because the audience is at different levels of understanding.

Personally I like something like this:

Click [Resize FS] to resize the file system--see "Resizing file system".

An clear action with a brief concise description and a link to detailed information.

So:
    • An expert would read: Click [Resize FS]
    • A normal user would read: Click [Resize FS] to resize the file system
    • While a novice would read: Click [Resize FS] to resize the file system--see "Resizing file system".

regards
    Greg

piCorePlayer Help is dead, long live piCorePlayer Documentation!!

https://docs.picoreplayer.org/

Please report any dead links to piCorePlayer Help. We are putting in page redirects where possible.

Next step is to document the documentation process then make the piCorePlayer Documentation git repository public.