Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Replaygain - Check My Thinking

Two questions...

I have a playlist of about 80 songs that I've now put on a CD ISO in MP3. The tracks all had track and album gain tags. The CD player in my car doesn't know about gain tags so I used Foobar2000 to copy the tracks to a folder and then used the Foobar2000 utility to apply track gain to the files. I've used that folder to burn the CD ISO of MP3's and this way I think I should not have any big volume differences from track to track. Does this thinking make sense?

Another question on Foobar2000. It's easy enough to have Foobar2000 copy the tracks in a playlist, but I can't find a way to keep the songs on the order they occur in the playlist. I had to go to the folder I put the song in and prepend each track with a sequence number so the tracks in the folder are in the same order as the playlist. Does anyone know if there's a way with Foobar2000 to prepend a copied playlist with sequence numbers?
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.4 Official on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.3 Official on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Test system - LMS 8.0 nightly on Win10Pro - Squeezeplay
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    Two questions...

I have a playlist of about 80 songs that I've now put on a CD ISO in MP3. The tracks all had track and album gain tags. The CD player in my car doesn't know about gain tags so I used Foobar2000 to copy the tracks to a folder and then used the Foobar2000 utility to apply track gain to the files. I've used that folder to burn the CD ISO of MP3's and this way I think I should not have any big volume differences from track to track. Does this thinking make sense?

Another question on Foobar2000. It's easy enough to have Foobar2000 copy the tracks in a playlist, but I can't find a way to keep the songs on the order they occur in the playlist. I had to go to the folder I put the song in and prepend each track with a sequence number so the tracks in the folder are in the same order as the playlist. Does anyone know if there's a way with Foobar2000 to prepend a copied playlist with sequence numbers?
    correct thinking on the replaygain approach. I use foobar2000 but have never used to create a playlist burned in a particular order. Since these are just for use in car, you can change to the track numbers from 1 to N for the entire playlist. There must be a way to do this in foobar, but I have used mp3tag to take a bunch of files in the order I want, highlight them all, then use "tools > autonumbering" to renumber them from 1 to N. Then I use "convert> tag to filename" to name the files as %track% - %title% - %artist%, so then you'll have the filenames also in track order in case your car player uses file name instead of tags (as many do).
    Home: VBA2.5 4TB or rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet except Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

@garym, Thanks for confirming my replaygain approach!

On the Foobar2000 question I think I'll go get an id on their forum so I can post the question over there.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.4 Official on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.3 Official on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

I got an answer in the Foobar2000 forum that solves my question. The key is to use %list_index% as the first variable in the File name pattern. So I used %list_index% %title% as my pattern so the file names in my target folder came out with a sequence number and song title in the order they are in my playlist. I've now got this filed in my "treasures of truth".

Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    I got an answer in the Foobar2000 forum that solves my question. The key is to use %list_index% as the first variable in the File name pattern. So I used %list_index% %title% as my pattern so the file names in my target folder came out with a sequence number and song title in the order they are in my playlist. I've now got this filed in my "treasures of truth".
    Excellent. Thanks for reporting back.
    Home: VBA2.5 4TB or rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet except Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify