Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I checked the github page for the SqueezeAmp and saw the new annotated photos.
    Awesome, Thanks Philippe_44. It helps us learners.
    2 Duets controllers, 1 X Boom, 1 X Radio
    1 X Receiver + Edifier S1000DB
    1 X Receiver + Yamaha RX-A2000, Polk M70
    1 X Receiver + Boston MicroSystem CD
    Raspberry Pi 3 B+ HiFi Berry Amp2 7" touchscreen PiCorePlayer 6.0 Audioengine A5 ( passive mode )
    Raspberry Pi 2 B, HiFiBerry Dac+ & Max2play
    SqueezeAmp 3 Monsoon MM-700 flat panels + Infinity sub
    HTC 10 w/ Squeeze Ctrl
    ReadyNAS 516 LMS 7.9.3

Quote Originally Posted by mark wollschlager View Post
    I checked the github page for the SqueezeAmp and saw the new annotated photos.
    Awesome, Thanks Philippe_44. It helps us learners.
    All credits for that work go to @Aki7
    LMS 7.9 on Pi 3B+ & Odroid-C2 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, Riva 1 & 3

Sync benefits?

I'll be very interested to try a SqueezeAmp sometime. One thing I'm curious about: might it improve synchronization in contrast to using a big variety of hardware?

I'm guessing that getting a beefier wifi radio might be the best thing i could do to improve my synchronization during play, but i understand that system clocks also have something to do with it. I'm running 2 Radios plus squeezelite on computers from 3 or 4 different manufacturers (different OSes too), so even if i had everything running on ethernet, i probably couldn't do a flawless sync?

Simply put: might i have a better chance of perfect sync if all i ran was Radios and SqueezeAmps?

It's a relatively minor consideration in the end. Watching this project with interest. FWIW, I just run with sync during track disabled for now, to avoid jumps in the sound. Not a lot of scenarios where we can hear two rooms at once.

is SqueezeAMP geeky?

Quote Originally Posted by mafyou View Post
    I'll be very interested to try a SqueezeAmp sometime. One thing I'm curious about: might it improve synchronization in contrast to using a big variety of hardware?

I'm guessing that getting a beefier wifi radio might be the best thing i could do to improve my synchronization during play, but i understand that system clocks also have something to do with it. I'm running 2 Radios plus squeezelite on computers from 3 or 4 different manufacturers (different OSes too), so even if i had everything running on ethernet, i probably couldn't do a flawless sync?

Simply put: might i have a better chance of perfect sync if all i ran was Radios and SqueezeAmps?

It's a relatively minor consideration in the end. Watching this project with interest. FWIW, I just run with sync during track disabled for now, to avoid jumps in the sound. Not a lot of scenarios where we can hear two rooms at once.
    It depends what you mean by perfect sync. Sound travels at 300 m/s so a 1 millisecond error in sync equals to 30 cm displacement compared to the equal distance between speakers, needless to say it's totally "in the noise". A 10 ms is a 3m difference and that's not much, hence LMS logically offers to re-adjust sync when gap is measured to be more than 10 ms.

The accuracy of sync is all about system oscillator, your ethernet vs wifi has little to do with it. Consistent turn-around time of packets matters for the starting T0 but after it's all about the relative drift of local clocks. Drift dispersion is a function of quality of crystals/oscillators and temperature of the boards. The oscillators are not adjusted to a common reference like they would be on cellular communication (e.g.) where the local oscillator is adjusted to the connected cell tower as we want coherent demodulation.

I've not looked precisely at those boards, but if you assume a bad crystal accuracy of 100ppm (that's 100/1,000,000), it means a drift of 10 ms requires 100s to happen.

So, long story short, if you are concerned about de-sync over time but don't want jumps, and because local oscillators are not locked, then it's all about relative clock accuracy and I'm not sure you'll see any difference whether you use a combo of different devices or not. One can claim that similar design have similar characteristics, but at the end, the same design if equipped with a low-cost oscillator will do worse across devices than a lot of different designs with good crystals.
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2020-10-10 at 13:56.
    LMS 7.9 on Pi 3B+ & Odroid-C2 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, Riva 1 & 3

Thanks Philippe. I've been reading the forums more than usual and probably picked an imperfect spot to try and explore this topic more, but that was very informative.

Will be keeping an eye on SqueezeAmp. For what it's worth, I'd say LMS as a whole is pretty geeky, but this has potential to look like an easy way into it!

I had a pleasant surprise a couple of days ago - a SqueezeAMP turned up in the post! (Many thanks Philippe) Of course as soon as my working day finished, I dug out an old 12V power supply and had a play. The power supply is from an old NAS that conked out a few years ago, and really dwarfs the SqueezeAMP board!

As I don't have a pair of speakers to hand, I set it up to use the SPDIF output to a DAC.

In the context of the question of whether SqueezeAMP is geeky, I think I have a mixed opinion. And bear in mind that geekiness to me isn't a bad thing, as I love tinkering with these sorts of devices. I used as reference the Github page, which seems distinctly geeky to me, and Philippe's opening page in the main SqueezeAMP thread, which is much easier to understand.

• Connecting the SqueezeAMP to my wifi network was straightforward - it's pretty much the same as many devices these days (Volumio being a good example). GeekScore = 0

• Setting it up to play through SPDIF output was so quick that I can't remember doing it. GeekScore -2

• Once it was connected, I poked around in the web interface. First, I checked for updates. I saw a list of several, and I've now idea what these are. Moreover, there are two lists: master-cmake and master. I've no idea what these are, and whether flashing with one of these would cause problems. GeekScore +5

• I renamed the device so that it shows up in LMS with a better description. This seems to have worked, but it took a couple of goes. GeekScore +0

• I can't seem to set the preferred LMS (I have a main LMS and a testing LMS on the same network). When I enter IP:9000 in the field and click Save and Apply, I get a two line message in an alarming red box saying "Executing" and "Not Yet Implemented". So I'm not sure what that means. GeekScore +1

At the moment, I make the GeekScore +4. But I'm really going to enjoy learning how to tinker with this device.

My first two questions would be:

1. What are the various update packages? Which should I be using for my current use-case?
    2. How do I set the default LMS server?

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/pCP6.1.0/LMS8.0.0/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare Pi2/piCorePlayer
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi Zero/pCP6.1.0/LMS8.0.0/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Just to add to my post above - I'm really enjoying SqueezeAMP. So far it's proven to be rock solid (except where I've done some injudicious tinkering) and quick to boot.
    My smaller bookshelf speakers are in my office at work, where I haven't been for the last 7 months since the pandemic struck. I'm now quite keen to swing by the office and retrieve them for use with SqueezeAMP.

Robert
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi Zero/pCP6.1.0/LMS8.0.0/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    I had a pleasant surprise a couple of days ago - a SqueezeAMP turned up in the post! (Many thanks Philippe) Of course as soon as my working day finished, I dug out an old 12V power supply and had a play. The power supply is from an old NAS that conked out a few years ago, and really dwarfs the SqueezeAMP board!

As I don't have a pair of speakers to hand, I set it up to use the SPDIF output to a DAC.

In the context of the question of whether SqueezeAMP is geeky, I think I have a mixed opinion. And bear in mind that geekiness to me isn't a bad thing, as I love tinkering with these sorts of devices. I used as reference the Github page, which seems distinctly geeky to me, and Philippe's opening page in the main SqueezeAMP thread, which is much easier to understand.

• Connecting the SqueezeAMP to my wifi network was straightforward - it's pretty much the same as many devices these days (Volumio being a good example). GeekScore = 0

• Setting it up to play through SPDIF output was so quick that I can't remember doing it. GeekScore -2

• Once it was connected, I poked around in the web interface. First, I checked for updates. I saw a list of several, and I've now idea what these are. Moreover, there are two lists: master-cmake and master. I've no idea what these are, and whether flashing with one of these would cause problems. GeekScore +5

• I renamed the device so that it shows up in LMS with a better description. This seems to have worked, but it took a couple of goes. GeekScore +0

• I can't seem to set the preferred LMS (I have a main LMS and a testing LMS on the same network). When I enter IP:9000 in the field and click Save and Apply, I get a two line message in an alarming red box saying "Executing" and "Not Yet Implemented". So I'm not sure what that means. GeekScore +1

At the moment, I make the GeekScore +4. But I'm really going to enjoy learning how to tinker with this device.

My first two questions would be:

1. What are the various update packages? Which should I be using for my current use-case?
    2. How do I set the default LMS server?

Robert
    Thanks for the feedback. Wrt flashing, use the cmake version (we'll hide the other one soon I think) and we'll also hide the 8MB version which is not needed for now. For LMS server, it is is the WebUI, tab "configuration", sub-tab "system" you can choose the LMS server. If you have a screen and an IR/rotary/buttons, you can also set it like a regular good Boom/Classic

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Wrt flashing, use the cmake version (we'll hide the other one soon I think) and we'll also hide the 8MB version which is not needed for now. For LMS server, it is is the WebUI, tab "configuration", sub-tab "system" you can choose the LMS server. If you have a screen and an IR/rotary/buttons, you can also set it like a regular good Boom/Classic
    I don't see that option sub-tab "system", but I do in sub-tab "audio", under Squeezelite options. But when I enter it, it doesn't seem to work...

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    I don't see that option sub-tab "system", but I do in sub-tab "audio", under Squeezelite options. But when I enter it, it doesn't seem to work...

Robert
    oh, which version are you running?