Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HDMI audio (tv turns on) or Hifiberry Digi+ Pro

Hi,

Looking for some advice.

For a few years I've been running PiCorePlayer with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro and official 7"display for my living room player attached to an old Arcam AVR. In Januari 2019 I replaced my AVR with a newer Arcam with hdmi.

When combined with the Hifiberry, the display cannot be powered by the pins. So I use a short usb cable between the display board and the Pi. This is not ideal so I am investigating hdmi audio.

I've tried output through hdmi but have not quite figured out which option sounds better. There is however one problem that I haven't been able to solve: My AVR turns the tv on when the pi's hdmi input is selected.

So I have two questions:
    1. How can I prevent my tv turning on?
    2. Theoretically, would there be a difference in sound quality between Hifiberry and hdmi?

Thanks in advance,

Marcel
    • Squeezeboxes: 2x Boom (bedroom and spare), 1x piCorePlayer on Pi Model 3B+ with 7" Touchscreen and HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro connected via RCA to Arcam AVR390 (living room and kitchen, replacement for defective Squeezebox Receiver), 1x piCorePlayer on Pi Model 4B connected via mini jack/RCA to Arcam AVR100 (study, ongoing project)
    • Control: Orange Squeeze
    • Server: LMS 7.9.1 on ReadyNas Ultra 2
    • Library location: ReadyNas Ultra 2

Quote Originally Posted by Casagrande View Post
    1. How can I prevent my tv turning on?
    Found hdmi settings in config.txt in another thread (initially my google and forum searches were a bit off).

hdmi_ignore_cec=1 did not solve the problem. Tv is still switched on.
    • Squeezeboxes: 2x Boom (bedroom and spare), 1x piCorePlayer on Pi Model 3B+ with 7" Touchscreen and HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro connected via RCA to Arcam AVR390 (living room and kitchen, replacement for defective Squeezebox Receiver), 1x piCorePlayer on Pi Model 4B connected via mini jack/RCA to Arcam AVR100 (study, ongoing project)

Can you not turn hdmi/hdmi control off in the tv?

Found hdmi settings in config.txt in another thread (initially my google and forum searches were a bit off).

hdmi_ignore_cec=1 did not solve the problem. Tv is still switched on.
    How about trying the hdmi_ignore_cec_init setting ?

Quote Originally Posted by kit1cat View Post
    Can you not turn hdmi/hdmi control off in the tv?
    Yes, but I use that to play Youtube via Chromecast with Google Nest Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    How about trying the hdmi_ignore_cec_init setting ?
    Same result. Strange but maybe it is caused by the AVR between Pi and TV?

B.t.w. I put it here in config.txt (hopefully that is correct?):

[ALL]

cmdline cmdline.txt

# doe alsof tv geen cec ondersteunt
    hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1

# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
    #hdmi_safe=1

Isn't it possible to disable video completely and only send audio to the AVR?

Also, the tv displays a 'square-rainbow' screen, while the Pi display shows the Squeezebox interface. Isn't it possible to get the Squeezebox interface on both? Maybe with some dual Jivelite output settings for hdmi and dsi-ports? But before I even consider that possibility I will first have to solve the CEC issue ofcourse...

Just now I'm beginning to doubt whether it is even a big issue. Probably only occurs when I start or reboot piCorePlayer, aka almost never!?

Same result. Strange but maybe it is caused by the AVR between Pi and TV?

B.t.w. I put it here in config.txt (hopefully that is correct?):
    No idea but all references to it says you must put it into the config.txt in the partition that is used when booting the Pi. It is only effective when booting the Pi.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    No idea but all references to it says you must put it into the config.txt in the partition that is used when booting the Pi. It is only effective when booting the Pi.
    Yes I followed these instructions. Allthough I didn't know how to edit (or subsequently save) the file in Putty. First used Putty to mount, then used WinSCP to edit. And then Putty to reboot.

Yes I followed these instructions. Allthough I didn't know how to edit (or subsequently save) the file in Putty. First used Putty to mount, then used WinSCP to edit. And then Putty to reboot.
    Putty is a comms application used to communicate and/or transfer files.
    Winscp does much the same but has an editor - not why you used Putty before and after nor where you edited the file.

I think you need to ask the main HDMI/CEC question (with your results so far) on a PCP dedicated thread ( such as https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...rePlayer-6-0-0 ) where your question will be seen by the PCP developers as well many PCP users.
    At the moment your topic title doesn't mention PCP and so the thread may not be read by those with PCP expertise.

I’ve been reading, but this is really not a pCP thing.... it’s the capabilities of the rpi.

But i do t understand what you are even trying to do. Why is the HDMI cable connected At all?

Display is the 7” touchscreen and hifiberry is audio.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer