Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LMS 7.9.3 Doesn't run at Startup

Hi all

I've been using various versions of LMS for years now (about 10 years - not sure) with occasional issues, but generally pretty smooth.

Thanks to the support of a 'genius few' I've been able to enjoy my 22 devices (yes honestly ) and I'm constantly amazed that they were SO WAY AHEAD OF THEIR TIME!!!.

Anyway - I'm off topic.

I've always had my system set to 'run at startup' without issue.

I've recently bought a new PC with W10 and cannot for the life of me get LMS to start on its own.

Windows (as I'm sure you're all aware) now has an 'online' account as well as a local account - (confuses me no end I have to say) and I at first thought LMS was getting confused with that.

The [Task Manager] has a users tab, and the user that is me appears as my personal email address, rather than just my first name, which I'm sure is what I used when I set up my new PC.

Each time I tried to use this username in LMS it changed it - so I assumed it couldn't deal with it for whatever reason.

Instead - I decided to create a new 'local' administrator account simply called LMS and intend to use that to login at startup.

It doesn't work. Again the username gets changed slightly.

I'm sure this has been documented here before, but I can't find it.

I get this - is this normal? I have to start LMS manually - which is fine for me, but when my wife occasionally reboots the pc when I'm away, I have to talk her through it (she can't start LMS as she's not a PC Administrator - to save inevitable disaster )

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 474
Size:  4.3 KB

Any help appreciated

Tony.
    12 x Classic / 4 x Boom / 2 x Touch / 2 x Radio / 3 Duet / 3 Controller / W10 LMS 7.9.3

Quote Originally Posted by merlineng View Post
    Hi all

I've been using various versions of LMS for years now (about 10 years - not sure) with occasional issues, but generally pretty smooth.

Thanks to the support of a 'genius few' I've been able to enjoy my 22 devices (yes honestly ) and I'm constantly amazed that they were SO WAY AHEAD OF THEIR TIME!!!.

Anyway - I'm off topic.

I've always had my system set to 'run at startup' without issue.

I've recently bought a new PC with W10 and cannot for the life of me get LMS to start on its own.

Windows (as I'm sure you're all aware) now has an 'online' account as well as a local account - (confuses me no end I have to say) and I at first thought LMS was getting confused with that.

The [Task Manager] has a users tab, and the user that is me appears as my personal email address, rather than just my first name, which I'm sure is what I used when I set up my new PC.

Each time I tried to use this username in LMS it changed it - so I assumed it couldn't deal with it for whatever reason.

Instead - I decided to create a new 'local' administrator account simply called LMS and intend to use that to login at startup.

It doesn't work. Again the username gets changed slightly.

I'm sure this has been documented here before, but I can't find it.

I get this - is this normal? I have to start LMS manually - which is fine for me, but when my wife occasionally reboots the pc when I'm away, I have to talk her through it (she can't start LMS as she's not a PC Administrator - to save inevitable disaster )

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 474
Size:  4.3 KB

Any help appreciated

Tony.
    Do you need to use a Username and Password?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Do you need to use a Username and Password?

The option 'lights up' when you choose 'run at startup' - so I assume so, I always have.

How can it start without a users authority to do so? (it doesn't incidentally - otherwise I wouldn't have asked! )

And what's with the .\ ?

I didn't type that - it's been added automatically. Never was a thing before.
    12 x Classic / 4 x Boom / 2 x Touch / 2 x Radio / 3 Duet / 3 Controller / W10 LMS 7.9.3

The option 'lights up' when you choose 'run at startup' - so I assume so, I always have.

How can it start without a users authority to do so? (it doesn't incidentally - otherwise I wouldn't have asked! )

And what's with the .\ ?

I didn't type that - it's been added automatically. Never was a thing before.
    My LMS on Windows 10 starts automatically at startup with no username or password so I have no idea.
    Did you specify a username and password in LMS settings?

My LMS on Windows 10 starts automatically at startup with no username or password so I have no idea.
    Did you specify a username and password in LMS settings?

The only place in settings I can see for a username and password is the mysqueezebox tab - which is not the same thing.

I'll try it without the password - can't do it yet though - downloading a huge file...

I'll let you know - cheers!
    Tony

The only place in settings I can see for a username and password is the mysqueezebox tab - which is not the same thing.

I'll try it without the password - can't do it yet though - downloading a huge file...

I'll let you know - cheers!
    Tony
    It would be in Settings/Advanced/Security.

It would be in Settings/Advanced/Security.

Yeah - just looked there - but the security is turned off.

Oddly (and I've never looked there before so it's not me!) my Spotify credentials are in there, but greyed out (because the security is disabled) - nowt to do with me though!

I'll have a play with both things tomorrow - can't disrupt the download - gonna take several hours...

Cheers
    Tony

You don't need to provide username+password for the startup mode 'automatically run at system start'. The Windows SYSTEM account is used in this case.
    But this might need additional measures if your music files are not on local disks or can be accessed with a specific user account only.

Same issue for me. Lately I've had problems playing files and then notice that the server is not connected. Have to manually reconnect

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by reinholdk View Post
    You don't need to provide username+password for the startup mode 'automatically run at system start'. The Windows SYSTEM account is used in this case.
    But this might need additional measures if your music files are not on local disks or can be accessed with a specific user account only.
    Ha Ha Ha - you're quite right - after all these years (I'm certain I've had something in those fields!) - it starts up no problem without a username and password.

Cheers!

A problem that wasn't a problem now not a problem at all...