Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spicefly Sugarcube Alphabetical Preferences

I'd posted yesterday in an old thread (and, for what it's worth, e-mailed the developer) but thought I'd just start a new one here to ask the question.

I've been using this for about a month, and while the results are pretty spectacular, I'm seeing some of the "Aretha" type behaviors mentioned here years ago, although in my case it seems to be related to how I have the files stored on my server.

I listen totally to older music, and have a big library of CD and vinyl rips that I've done. So for vintage country, everything will have a simple generic "country" tag, and then when I tell Sugarcube to limit genre to match the seed, it works very, very well.

Except that within my main "country" folder on the server, I have two subfolders - CD and Discs. Sugarcube is, probably 95% of the time, choosing from CD, although not always, so it's definitely seeing the latter folder, and I can seed from there with no problem. A regular MiP mix is a good balance of the two.

I like keeping the CD content away from the vinyl content; I assume the obvious solution here is to group all together but I'd prefer not to do that.

I'm running this on an old music-only machine with Windows 7 in 32-bit, if that makes a difference. That's because I love the sound of this old soundcard I have to do needledrops and it won't run 64-bit, so this machine is used only for music.

Just wondering if anybody ever actually solved this alphabetical thing...I've read all the threads and see a lot of complaints and a lot of references to settings, etc., but nothing I do with Sugarcube seems to make a difference. And again the mixes it does with the music it IS pulling are amazing, just wish it were being more inclusive of my entire library within any given genre.

I also realize the developer used to push people to his forum, but I can't seem to find it - does it still exist? This might've been tackled in depth there, so I'd be happy to research there if I could locate it.

My reply isn't going to be helpful for you, since I've never experienced the issue you're describing. At least I don't think I have. I'm now going to pay closer attention to my Sugarcube mixes more closely.

Also, if you do get a direct reply from the developer to your email, which I suspect you will, please post it (or a summary) here so that future readers can also benefit from it; that is if Charles doesn't post here directly himself.

Absolutely - will be glad to. It dawned on me if there were a relatively easy way to switch the folders (maybe "01 Discs" and "02 CD") just to see what happens it might be worth the experiment, but I've been dragging my feet about that given the time it can take to update everything with that many files moving.

Quote Originally Posted by typecrazy789 View Post
    I'd posted yesterday in an old thread (and, for what it's worth, e-mailed the developer) but thought I'd just start a new one here to ask the question.

I've been using this for about a month, and while the results are pretty spectacular, I'm seeing some of the "Aretha" type behaviors mentioned here years ago, although in my case it seems to be related to how I have the files stored on my server.

I listen totally to older music, and have a big library of CD and vinyl rips that I've done. So for vintage country, everything will have a simple generic "country" tag, and then when I tell Sugarcube to limit genre to match the seed, it works very, very well.

Except that within my main "country" folder on the server, I have two subfolders - CD and Discs. Sugarcube is, probably 95% of the time, choosing from CD, although not always, so it's definitely seeing the latter folder, and I can seed from there with no problem. A regular MiP mix is a good balance of the two.

I like keeping the CD content away from the vinyl content; I assume the obvious solution here is to group all together but I'd prefer not to do that.

I'm running this on an old music-only machine with Windows 7 in 32-bit, if that makes a difference. That's because I love the sound of this old soundcard I have to do needledrops and it won't run 64-bit, so this machine is used only for music.

Just wondering if anybody ever actually solved this alphabetical thing...I've read all the threads and see a lot of complaints and a lot of references to settings, etc., but nothing I do with Sugarcube seems to make a difference. And again the mixes it does with the music it IS pulling are amazing, just wish it were being more inclusive of my entire library within any given genre.

I also realize the developer used to push people to his forum, but I can't seem to find it - does it still exist? This might've been tackled in depth there, so I'd be happy to research there if I could locate it.
    If you thoroughly read that older thread, you'll know we didn't really find a cause for the behaviour mentioned, and OP found that "magically" everything started working as it should again ;-) What I'd advise you is the following:
    1. Read your files into MP3TAG (https://www.mp3tag.de/en/)
    2. Remove all MusicIP tags
    3. Re-analyze your files with MusicIP
    4. Archive the tags
    5. Do a "clear & rescan" of your LMS library
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

Quote Originally Posted by bakker_be View Post
    If you thoroughly read that older thread, you'll know we didn't really find a cause for the behaviour mentioned, and OP found that "magically" everything started working as it should again ;-) What I'd advise you is the following:
    1. Read your files into MP3TAG (https://www.mp3tag.de/en/)
    2. Remove all MusicIP tags
    3. Re-analyze your files with MusicIP
    4. Archive the tags
    5. Do a "clear & rescan" of your LMS library
    Will give this a shot...almost all of my files are FLAC (again, this is my 35-year old CD collection and not downloads, so most of it is homegrown) and I'm not celar that MP3TAG will work with FLAC, but I'm guessing there are other ways to strip it out.

Will give this a shot...almost all of my files are FLAC (again, this is my 35-year old CD collection and not downloads, so most of it is homegrown) and I'm not celar that MP3TAG will work with FLAC, but I'm guessing there are other ways to strip it out.
    MP3TAG works perfectly with FLAC files. If you strip out the MusicIP tags be aware that the analysis will take quite a while when you add them back.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Thanks so much - I'll tackle that in a couple of days when I have time. Since I said I would report back about it, the developer wrote back and indicated he "hadn't seen" the alphabetical issue I mentioned, and suggested using the loose wobble feature to mix up the selections (in addition to watching the live view to see why certain titles are being rejected).

Hi,

I have something similar, but never payed attention to it. If a 24bit file has been chosen, from that file on, there's a preference for other 24bit files in my library. (and there are not that many 24bit files in my library)

Best regards,
    Dennis.

Per the developer's suggestion I've been watching the live view and am totally seeing how the Sugarcube mixes get in the shape they're in since the suggestions presented by MIP are generally all the same folder, album, location, etc., with very small variation. Yet when I turn off Sugarcube and just turn on the MIP mix in LMS, I get a much wider variety of albums/locations/artists.

He basically said to watch what happens and if MIP is only presenting Sugarcube with narrow choices then there's not really much he could do, and I see what he means...but why is that happening there, but using it in standalone mode it works much better? I've still not had time to focus and strip out all the tags but I'm wondering now how much difference that would make - maybe little, maybe lots. Only one way to find out, I suppose.

Per the developer's suggestion I've been watching the live view and am totally seeing how the Sugarcube mixes get in the shape they're in since the suggestions presented by MIP are generally all the same folder, album, location, etc., with very small variation. Yet when I turn off Sugarcube and just turn on the MIP mix in LMS, I get a much wider variety of albums/locations/artists.

He basically said to watch what happens and if MIP is only presenting Sugarcube with narrow choices then there's not really much he could do, and I see what he means...but why is that happening there, but using it in standalone mode it works much better? I've still not had time to focus and strip out all the tags but I'm wondering now how much difference that would make - maybe little, maybe lots. Only one way to find out, I suppose.
    I don't have access to my server at the moment, but some things to verify:
    • Are both plugins configured the same way with regards to variation. There are two parameters that decide that, don't remember the names off the top of my head, but mine are set to 2 and 180
    • Is there any other limiting of results done in your config of SugarCube: don't play artist x, don't repeat for x tracks/albums etc.
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...