Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

UPnP/DLNA Media Interface stops working after a while

Hi,
    I'm currently running LMS 7.9.4 on a Raspi 3B+ (max2play) with UPnP Media Interface plugin activated. Basically, everything is working well and DLNA performance (seen from DLNA "only" clients) is quite nice. But after a while of operation, days or somethimes weeks, all of a sudden the DLNA server disappears from the network, whereas all other LMS functionality is unaffected. Further, there are no debug logs from the plugin itselve when logging is activated. Only logs about regular DLNA access.

Since LMS server seems to stop repsonding to network broadacast from DLNA clients performing device discovery (SSDP), it must be hanging at the lowest-level. I'm not familiar with LMS architecture, but I'd guess the problem resides at the core LMS portion handling network connections (to respond to discovery requests, right?), and not inside the Media Interface plugin. (That's why there aren't any debug log messages, I'd guess)

This said, I've got some questions:
    - Is there a way to activate debug logging for the lowest level DLNA code, too?
    - How to debug such problems in general?
    - Is there a way to reset (the plugin or DLNA status) without restarting the server (no interruptions!)?

This issues is really annoying, since it's something only I can fix. Other users in my house are blocked. (I do not want my small kids to configure or restart LMS!)

Any help is really appreciated,
    Regards,
    Toby

Quote Originally Posted by streumix View Post
    Hi,
    I'm currently running LMS 7.9.4 on a Raspi 3B+ (max2play) with UPnP Media Interface plugin activated. Basically, everything is working well and DLNA performance (seen from DLNA "only" clients) is quite nice. But after a while of operation, days or somethimes weeks, all of a sudden the DLNA server disappears from the network, whereas all other LMS functionality is unaffected. Further, there are no debug logs from the plugin itselve when logging is activated. Only logs about regular DLNA access.

Since LMS server seems to stop repsonding to network broadacast from DLNA clients performing device discovery (SSDP), it must be hanging at the lowest-level. I'm not familiar with LMS architecture, but I'd guess the problem resides at the core LMS portion handling network connections (to respond to discovery requests, right?), and not inside the Media Interface plugin. (That's why there aren't any debug log messages, I'd guess)

This said, I've got some questions:
    - Is there a way to activate debug logging for the lowest level DLNA code, too?
    - How to debug such problems in general?
    - Is there a way to reset (the plugin or DLNA status) without restarting the server (no interruptions!)?

This issues is really annoying, since it's something only I can fix. Other users in my house are blocked. (I do not want my small kids to configure or restart LMS!)

Any help is really appreciated,
    Regards,
    Toby
    Doesnĺt answer your question exactly but because of this issue I use Plex to serve DLNA. Separate server but mounts the same media files as LMS via NFS
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Doesnĺt answer your question exactly but because of this issue I use Plex to serve DLNA. Separate server but mounts the same media files as LMS via NFS
    Well, I thought about this option as a last resort. But since the music db / metadata is already present in RAM, I really like efficient concept of having a plugin re-using this content instead of building up it's own db cache a second time.
    (Is Plex working based on a persistent database of media content, or is it responding dynamically from disk causing continuous disk access when browsing?)

Anyway, it sounds like you had exactly the same issue. Is this correct? (Would be soothing not being alone )

There appears to be some debug logging that you can enable in
    Slim/Plugin/UPnP/Discovery.pm

The routine _read is where things should go when a request comes in.

However, it is hard to look for something that does not appear ... especially when it runs fine for a long time.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by streumix View Post
    Well, I thought about this option as a last resort. But since the music db / metadata is already present in RAM, I really like efficient concept of having a plugin re-using this content instead of building up it's own db cache a second time.
    (Is Plex working based on a persistent database of media content, or is it responding dynamically from disk causing continuous disk access when browsing?)

Anyway, it sounds like you had exactly the same issue. Is this correct? (Would be soothing not being alone )
    If you search around you will find people talking about rogue uPnP/DLNA devices (often TVs) flooding the network and causing the LMS uPnP/DLNA interface to fail.
    I used to get this which was one of the reasons why I added a Plex server - the other was streaming ripped DVD's - Plex seems to handle it better.
    Yes there are 2 x Db's as a result but the overhead is tiny.

I have
    Linux LMS server with OS, db and cache on SSD -> media files on NAS via NFS
    Linux Plex server on standard HD -> media files on same NAS via NFS
    and to be complete
    Dev Pi4 LMS server -> media files on same NAS via NFS

Although I do have Plex pointing at my music files I rarely use DLNA for music. Its predominatly for video streaming and using Plex clients (e.g. on Amazon Fire) rather than DLNA.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng