Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Khadas Tone Board vs Schiit Modi 3 for Transporter

I’m looking to upgrade my Transporter which I’ve had since 2008.
    Rest of my system is vintage Naim and I find the Transporter a little ‘clinical’ sounding and lacking in warmth. Also compared to modern units like a Naim Uniti Atom which I recently demoed, the Transporter lacks some detail, depth and separation.
    Anyone have experience with KTB or Modi 3?
    I know there are a ton of expensive DACs that would transform my sound - but I’m saving up for a Naim ND5 XS2, so don’t want to spend more that €150 euros for a DAC to upgrade the Transporter right now.
    Is that possible, or just a waste of a time and I should wait for the ND5 XS2?

Quote Originally Posted by mikecbetts View Post
    I’m looking to upgrade my Transporter which I’ve had since 2008.
    Rest of my system is vintage Naim and I find the Transporter a little ‘clinical’ sounding and lacking in warmth. Also compared to modern units like a Naim Uniti Atom which I recently demoed, the Transporter lacks some detail, depth and separation.
    Anyone have experience with KTB or Modi 3?
    I know there are a ton of expensive DACs that would transform my sound - but I’m saving up for a Naim ND5 XS2, so don’t want to spend more that €150 euros for a DAC to upgrade the Transporter right now.
    Is that possible, or just a waste of a time and I should wait for the ND5 XS2?
    I have a totally unscientific, only semi related observation. I have had a schitt bifrost for about 5 years, that I am running a touch through on my second system. I also am over 60 so my ears aren't what they once were. The A/B difference between the bifrost and the touch dac was significant, very significant. I love it. I also have an Oppo BDP-105D which is a sort of pre/pro, which has an excellent DAC. The 105 was about a $600 upgrade over the 103, mostly due to the dac and balanced analog output. I was thinking of moving the bifrost to my main system, so I A/B'ed the oppo and the bifrost side by side, real time. I really don't think I heard a difference (my older ears). I came to the conclusion I was hearing similar $500 worth of DAC.

I think that schiit products are excellent, but have not heard the modi 3. I also no nothing about the transporter, as I have not owned one.

So, some random thoughts that might help?

Jim