Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

'Default' alarm sound?

Hi all,

I've recently acquired a Radio for my daughters bedroom. I have set an alarm, playing a playlist that contains a single track. What happens is that after this track plays, there is a period of silence, and then another repeating audio sample plays.

The issue is, my daughter has now taken a liking to this, and keeps asking me to play it for her! I can't seem to find it anywhere (it's not in the 'Musical Sounds' bit of 'Sounds & Effects' which is where I expected to find it.

I've attached a short audio file I recorded while it was playing. Can anyone identify this and tell me how I can play it on demand?

Thanks

Andy
    Attached Files Attached Files

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Ok, that's the right track. However, it's an 'instrumental' version that the Radio is playing.

Where is it getting it from? Any way I can add it to a playlist myself?

Thanks

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by adhawkins View Post
    Ok, that's the right track. However, it's an 'instrumental' version that the Radio is playing.

Thanks

Andy
    hi Andy,

We actually had rights to use that track, as well as using the Datarock album cover in our artwork. Someone took the guitar riff and made it work for looping purposes, but it was all above board legally. That said, it's not actually something you could go out and buy. It does exist somewhere on the filesystem of the squeezebox, if memory serves in the AlarmClockApplet/ directory. Perhaps someone else on this thread could instruct on finding it and extracting it.

We also had Ladytron album artwork rights at that time, which we used more often for advertisements.

Then we got reorganized to a different part of the company and from there on we only had the rights to an obscure Christian rock band. I can't blame the Christian rock band though, since another squeezebox was never released. The rest is sad, tragic history. :-/

cheers,
    #!/ben
    Former Logitech Developer: Squeezeplay/SqueezeOS/SqueezeboxController/SqueezeCenter
    Community Developer: Nokia770Skin (r.i.p.)

http://www.last.fm/user/bklaas/

It's in the filesystem on the Radio itself, and I think the file is /usr/share/jive/applets/AlarmSnooze/alarm.mp3.
    To copy it you need to enable remote login on the radio, then login with ssh, WinSCP, or some similar software, and copy the file to where you want it.

EDIT: and if your daughter really likes it, you may also want to consider buying some headphones or earbuds for her. Or for you ;-)

'Default' alarm sound?

> The issue is, my daughter has now taken a liking to this, and keeps
    > asking me to play it for her! I can't seem to find it anywhere (it's not
    > in the 'Musical Sounds' bit of 'Sounds & Effects' which is where I
    > expected to find it.

You'd find it on your radio:
    /usr/share/jive/applets/AlarmSnooze/alarm.mp3

Get WinSCP and enable Remote Login on your SBR to copy the file out to
    your computer.

But please note that this is only a 14s snippet played endlessly. Don't
    forget to enable repeat: song when playing it :-)

--

Michael

Thanks to everyone, I assumed it was coming from SqueezeNetwork or somewhere. I'll go digging around on the player and see if I can find it. Can I enable SSH via the web interface, or is it something I have to do on the player itself? Any usernames / passwords?

Out of interest, why is it being played? Is the radio assuming the connection to the server has been lost, and hence playing it as a failsafe alarm?

On a similar note, will Radio alarms work if the server isn't running in the same way as Boom ones will?

Thanks again

Andy

Thanks to everyone, I assumed it was coming from SqueezeNetwork or somewhere. I'll go digging around on the player and see if I can find it. Can I enable SSH via the web interface, or is it something I have to do on the player itself? Any usernames / passwords?

Out of interest, why is it being played? Is the radio assuming the connection to the server has been lost, and hence playing it as a failsafe alarm?

On a similar note, will Radio alarms work if the server isn't running in the same way as Boom ones will?

Thanks again

Andy
    It's local to the device because it's the fallback alarm, to be played when the network is down.

Enable ssh on the radio itself through Settings->Advanced Settings->Remote Login (or some such "user friendly" phrase that is not actually "ssh"). After you enable it I believe that there is a message that tells you a login/pass for it. Once you are in, I think you might be able to successfully run a command "find / -name *.mp3" and have it locate the file. I'd use scp to get it off the radio to a remote destination.

Radio alarms *should* work in the same way as the Boom ones will. The fallback alarm on Radio has a long and sordid past, much of which I was deeply involved with, but as I have not been with Logitech for a few years now I'm not sure of its current status. When I left squeezebox development it had stabilized, but there was certainly a time when I thought people were going to arrive at my door in the middle of the night with radios playing Datarock to bludgeon me with

cheers,
    #!/ben
    Former Logitech Developer: Squeezeplay/SqueezeOS/SqueezeboxController/SqueezeCenter

Oh sorry, I missed Michael's post up there. Yeah, everything he said, plus the enable ssh directions on the device instructions I gave in my last post will get you what you need.

cheers,
    #!/ben

Great stuff, I'll have to wait until I get home then (was hoping I would be able to get it done from work and then surprise my daughter when I get home).

Oh, and regarding any comments on her musical taste, she is only 4

Andy