Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Question about Classical Tags

For years I've used the ARTIST tag to capture information about the ensemble, typically of the form Soloist/Orchestra/Conductor. This has worked well, but sometimes causes problems with phone apps which don't display the information I'd prefer to see. I'm thinking of adding a BAND tag and populating it with the information now stored in ARTIST. I'd then fill ARTIST with COMPOSER.

The tags in my Classical files would look like this:

I've tested it and it seems to work well. Can you think of any disadvantage to this new tag structure? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    For years I've used the ARTIST tag to capture information about the ensemble, typically of the form Soloist/Orchestra/Conductor. This has worked well, but sometimes causes problems with phone apps which don't display the information I'd prefer to see. I'm thinking of adding a BAND tag and populating it with the information now stored in ARTIST. I'd then fill ARTIST with COMPOSER.

The tags in my Classical files would look like this:

I've tested it and it seems to work well. Can you think of any disadvantage to this new tag structure? Thanks.
    I don't see the benefit of using the composer as ALBUMARTIST and ARTIST, as LMS supports COMPOSER.

And why would you put the conductor in BAND? I'm not 100% sure about this one, but I think BAND is more or less supported, too. I believe it's mashed into an ARTIST tag internally. With love, of course. :-D
    Last edited by dolodobendan; 2020-05-24 at 10:20.
    QLMS 8.0.1@2.21 x64 (digimaster) with perl 5.30.1 / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

I came through the same problem and I have retagged my whole library with the following tag fields:

ARTIST
    ALBUMARTIST
    COMPOSER
    BAND
    CONDUCTOR

This all is working quite well, except for;

- COMPOSER, BAND and CONDUCTOR are not displayed (or displayed badly) in the Now Playing screen of Jivelite (please, anybody, correct me if I am wrong). This is because there only TITLE, ARTIST (somewhat combined ALBUMARTIST and ARTIST) and ALBUM are read / transferred to the lua script. Therefore, I have designed a nice custom clock screen for Jivelite which displays everything I want.

- ARTIST field shows "Kein Interpret" at several places if ALBUMARTIST AND ARTIST are empty, for that I have filled all tracks with no albumartist with a special character that is not empty --> read here: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...tags-are-empty

I can go into more detail if you are interested.
    Last edited by schup011; 2020-08-26 at 05:10.

Quote Originally Posted by schup011 View Post
    I can go into more detail if you are interested.
    Thanks for your reply. There is no perfect solution for classical tags, but I'm ok with where I am now. It's not just about how things display in LMS or on Squeezebox devices, but also how they display on various mobile controller apps. I'm using Material Skin and it works as well as any for this. So long as I can find something when I need to, it's a solution I can live with.

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    Thanks for your reply. There is no perfect solution for classical tags, but I'm ok with where I am now. It's not just about how things display in LMS or on Squeezebox devices, but also how they display on various mobile controller apps. I'm using Material Skin and it works as well as any for this. So long as I can find something when I need to, it's a solution I can live with.
    I think material skin handles conductor and composer quite well. With band, I am not sure.