Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    This plugin and the airplay plugin allow your DLNA or airplay player to act like a Squeezebox so will let you play anything you can play on a genuine Squeezebox.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Thanks. I'm afraid telling me it acts like a Squeezebox doesn't help me a lot at present - I don't know anything at all about Squeezebox! I'm just trying to find a way to play Qobuz efficiently on MusicCast devices. Yes, thanks to the various comments, I now see how the AirPlay solution works and have that running. It feels strange using a new device to push to the MusicCast devices, having been used to controlling everything through the Yamaha MusicCast app. But it makes a lot of sense - in parallel to struggling with the Yamaha problem I've been looking for a setup that does rely on a central headless server to do all the work, simply sending the results to one of the possible player devices.

As you might imagine, I'm pretty fed up with the Yamaha support, writing off audio equipment after a couple of years just because the software isn't working any longer goes very much against the grain. So solutions that aren't locked to a commercial provider are interesting. I guess I need to become more knowledgeable on LMS etc.

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I think you have not quite understood.

You install LMS without DLNA support, install the Qobuz plugin.
    Then install the AirPlay or UPnP bridge plugin to LMS. The AirPlay one is more likely to work without fiddling.
    Switch the Yamaha to Airplay mode.
    All being well you will see the Yamaha appear as a player in LMS (top right)
    Then using the web gui you can play your Qobuz stuff to the Yamaha.

EDIT. The principle is the same for the UpNP bridge just more fiddly.

EDIT2. Either of these plugins makes your Yamaha become a native SB/LMS player

Have you got any player attached to LMS at this stage?

Tapatalk is just an alternative method of accessing these pages.
    Thanks, I got the AirPlay solution to work. The Yamaha devices are WXAD-10 (interfaces to a hifi system), WX-010 x 2 (loudspeakers), YAS-306 (sound bar). In fact, they don't need to be switched on. They are recognised as AirPlay devices even while turned off (obviously they are never totally off) and turned on if necessary.

No, I don't have a player attached to LMS - it's intended to be a headless server sitting in a cupboard!

I still don't understand the DLNA solution. The bridge appears to be intended to suck in material from DLNA servers rather than the other way round. So far as my understanding goes, DLNA is driven by the client, so would have to be controlled from the MusicCast devices. Am I on the wrong track here?

BTW, is the Orange Squeeze Android App able to control my LMS installation, or am I misunderstanding another element in the Squeezebox jigsaw?

Quote Originally Posted by counterpoint View Post
    I still don't understand the DLNA solution. The bridge appears to be intended to suck in material from DLNA servers rather than the other way round. So far as my understanding goes, DLNA is driven by the client, so would have to be controlled from the MusicCast devices. Am I on the wrong track here?
    There are 2 different UPnP offerings with LMS and perhaps that has lead to confusion.

One makes LMS look like a UPnP music source - so that UPnP players (via a control point) can use UPnP protocols to browser/search the content on LMS and play it.

The other (UPnP Bridge) works the other way around and acts as a UPnP controller to tell the UPnP player what to play and it passes the content from LMS that can be selected by any of the LMS controllers (like web interface, iPeng, Squeeze Control) ... it makes the remote UPnP player look like a Squeezebox player.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    There are 2 different UPnP offerings with LMS and perhaps that has lead to confusion.

One makes LMS look like a UPnP music source - so that UPnP players (via a control point) can use UPnP protocols to browser/search the content on LMS and play it.

The other (UPnP Bridge) works the other way around and acts as a UPnP controller to tell the UPnP player what to play and it passes the content from LMS that can be selected by any of the LMS controllers (like web interface, iPeng, Squeeze Control) ... it makes the remote UPnP player look like a Squeezebox player.
    Thanks, that makes sense. It's quite a complex set of options. But I still don't know how this helps with the MusicCast problem, because the plugin that makes LMS look like a UPnP source doesn't expose the Qobuz music.

That is what mherger was saying with
    AFAIK only the local music would be shared over DLNA. LMS probably isn't
    what you're looking for if your primary use is DLNA.
    However, if it works the other way (with one of the bridges) then the question becomes ... which has the better user interface for selecting/playing/controlling?
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by counterpoint View Post

BTW, is the Orange Squeeze Android App able to control my LMS installation, or am I misunderstanding another element in the Squeezebox jigsaw?
    Orange Squeeze will work but it will never see any more updates. Try the Material Skin plugin.

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...338#post923338

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Yes. Definitely go for Material Skin.
    When you have that sorted also look at the Music & Artist Integration plugin commonly known as MAI. Provides artist bio, album review & lyrics even on Qobuz tracks. Itĺs accessed from the i symbol at top right of Material

Upnp is a crap protocol. There is no standard. The Andy Grunman plugin really only works properly to make LMS into a DLNA server but the control has to be done at the player end or with some 3rd party app. If you have this enabled you might be able to use the Yamaha remote to access your music but not Qobuz.

Philippe44 is responsible for both the AirPlay & upnp bridge plug-ins.

Pros & Cons
    AirPlay devices can be synced but the protocol is limited to 16/44.1. Will do gapless.
    UpnpBridge no sync but if you can configure it to work properly it should do HD. Might do gapless.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

PS. Once you get the hang of LMS ecosystem you will recognise why it knocks the pants off upnp / musicast etc
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS