Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Music file storage advice

I've been storing my music files in apple lossless format on a mac mini which is nearly maxed out in hard disk capacity and other hardware aspects such it is hardly able to boot up and play music. time to change things around. my thought is to upgrade my MacBook pro to one with a larger hard disk and have just one computer instead of 2 to deal with and store everything and run LMS from there. but then i thought maybe there is a better solution that folks here could point me towards.

I don’t see, why a Mac mini should not do the job NICELY with an external SSD - they are not to expensive anymore.

If you have a MacBook Pro, I assume you are travelling with it- so I would not use the same machine for travelling and for LMS se4rver.

The question is, why is the Mac mini having problems? I would

1) get an external SSD
    2) copy the music and LMS settings to the external SSD
    3) reformat the Mac mini and re-install macOS (whichever one you can - you mention it is an older Mac ini)
    4) install LMS
    5) restore the settings from the SSD
    6) leave the music on the external SSD.

Otherwise, if the Mac mini has hardware problems, I would get a new one or get a pi and run picore on it.

> On 7 Sep 2020, at 13:07, Resolution <Resolution.9otunb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
    >
    >
    > I've been storing my music files in apple lossless format on a mac mini
    > which is nearly maxed out in hard disk capacity and other hardware
    > aspects such it is hardly able to boot up and play music. time to change
    > things around. my thought is to upgrade my MacBook pro to one with a
    > larger hard disk and have just one computer instead of 2 to deal with
    > and store everything and run LMS from there. but then i thought maybe
    > there is a better solution that folks here could point me towards.
    >
    >
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Resolution's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=70635
    > View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=112897
    >
    >

Quote Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
    I've been storing my music files in apple lossless format on a mac mini which is nearly maxed out in hard disk capacity and other hardware aspects such it is hardly able to boot up and play music. time to change things around. my thought is to upgrade my MacBook pro to one with a larger hard disk and have just one computer instead of 2 to deal with and store everything and run LMS from there. but then i thought maybe there is a better solution that folks here could point me towards.
    I was running LMS on a Windows machine with a 2TB hard drive, and my library consumed maybe 800GB of that. But, I needed another external HDD to back up my win machine. I also got tired of "why did the music stop? Oh, I turned off the computer" , so I built a picore player as a LMS server only, and attached a 2TB HDD to it. Now, My LMS server is standalone, win/mac computer independent for about $50USD for the Pi, $50USD for the HDD.

Then, to make things even better, I use SAMBA to link the Picore HDD as a network drive, and backup my non music files (e.g. photos, etc) on the windows machine -> Picore HDD, and the music files picore -> Win HDD.

I use freefile sync as a manual backup/mirror, but there are a number of ways to transfer/mirror. It may not be relevant for you but I have two similar systems at two locations miles apart, so I also have a "travel HDD" I carry to sync both locations. So, I have an on sight backup, an offsite backup, and a travel HDD backup of all my files. Not on purpose, but I do have redundancy

YMMV, but I thought I would let you know what I learned from others and did when I decided to separate LMS from my computer

Jim

I stopped using a desktop PC as an LMS server some years back. At the moment, my main server is a Raspberry Pi 3B running piCorePlayer and LMS that runs 24/7, with the music files on a QNAP NAS. I also have a backup server, also a Raspberry Pi3B but with a 2Tb SSD drive holding a copy of my library.

As a previous poster notes, a Pi plus a hard drive would be the cheapest option.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/pCP6.1.0/LMS8.0.0/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare Pi2/piCorePlayer
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi Zero/pCP6.1.0/LMS8.0.0/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

if the only issue you have is running out of storage space on the Mac, just buy a USB HDD of appropriate size, copy all your music to it, and attach it to your Mac. Your music files don't need to be on an SSD drive. Regular USB portable (self powered) spinning drive is fine. The value of the SSD drive is for LMS core activities (cache, etc.), and not in the loading up of your music files.

p.s. I'm also a fan of the rPi approach and have several setups using rPi4B and attached 4TB USB drive.
    Home: VBA2.5 4TB or rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet except Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

SSD: not necessary, but no moving parts.

> On 7 Sep 2020, at 15:14, garym <garym.9ou0kn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
    >
    >
    > if the only issue you have is running out of storage space on the Mac,
    > just buy a USB HDD of appropriate size, copy all your music to it, and
    > attach it to your Mac. Your music files don't need to be on an SSD
    > drive. Regular USB portable (self powered) spinning drive is fine. The
    > value of the SSD drive is for LMS core activities (cache, etc.), and not
    > in the loading up of your music files.
    >
    > p.s. I'm also a fan of the rPi approach and have several setups using
    > rPi4B and attached 4TB USB drive.
    >
    >
    >
    > *Home:* VBA 4TB (2.5) -or- rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter,
    > Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    > *Cottage:* VBA 3TB (2.4) -or- rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark
    > DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    > *Office:* Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.3>Squeezelite
    > *The Wild: *rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS &
    > Squeezelite)
    > *Controllers:* iPhone11 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay
    > 7.8 on Win10(64)
    > *Files:* ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes;
    > Streaming: Spotify
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > garym's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=17325
    > View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=112897
    >
    >

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    I stopped using a desktop PC as an LMS server some years back. At the moment, my main server is a Raspberry Pi 3B running piCorePlayer and LMS that runs 24/7, with the music files on a QNAP NAS. I also have a backup server, also a Raspberry Pi3B but with a 2Tb SSD drive holding a copy of my library.

As a previous poster notes, a Pi plus a hard drive would be the cheapest option.

Robert
    I also do exactly this. All music files on a Qnap Raid 5 NAS. Syncronised to another Qnap at remote location.
    2 servers
    Production. Linux machine with single SSD. (very quick) Files mounted via NFS
    Dev. Pi4. Files mounted via NFS.
    Remote. Pi4. Files mounted via NFS.
    If you use the same mount point on every LMS you install then playlists will always work if you get the permissions correct.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

I, too, use a dedicated server. In my case it's a purchased FitPC3, still running Win7 in our basement mechanical room. More expensive than a Pi solution, but rock solid. Runs 24/7, rescans the library for new/changed files every night. It's connected directly to my router. I use an external 1tb conventional 3.5" hard drive for music storage only (LMS runs on the SSD in the FitPC3). The external drive is almost out of room, and I'll probably get a 2tb drive in the near future. Probably a 2.5" conventional, since those seem to be the pricing sweet spot these days. I use an older Thermaltake BlacX dock, which supports either 3.5" or 2.5" on a USB2 port; the drives can be removed/swapped out, they just plug into the dock. I use a newer/faster BlacX doc upstairs for backups, on a USB3 port.

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

I use a semi-dedicated server as well: a repurposed, slightly older laptop (Lenovo T540) running Ubuntu Server, recently completely reinstalled from scratch with 20.04 LTS. Attached are several external USB3 disc enclosures:
    • 4x 8TB in RAIDZ1 configuration
    • 4x 2TB in JBOD configuration
    • 4x 1TB in JBOD configuration

Apart from LMS this machine also serves as file and database server for the KODI installs on pc's and mobile devices, web server, download station, ...
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

Is noise an issue with any of these solutions? I also use Mac mini (ten heads old now) as my music server, with a Pi as my streaming device. Itís. Quiet operation, which is necessary since itís in the same room as my main stereo.

Iím looking to upgrade, since Iím starting to have performance issues with the Mini. Would like to transition to something else before it gives out or is hopelessly out of date. Itís been a wonderful host for my local music and LMS for ten years, but I need to plan for the future!

Btw, cost isnít a big issue for me...most concerned with ease of set up and reliability. Iím in an all-Apple household, fwiw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Iím down to one SB Touch. Mac Mini as a server (OS X Yosemite). iPeng is my controller of choice. LMS 7.9.0. Erlandís plug ins are what keep me in the ecosystem.