Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

piCorePlayer analog out not working

Finally I bought my first rpi and installed pCP. I need some help with the simple task to get analog audio working via the 3.5mm jack.

I connected pCP to my existing LMS using the default squeezelite settings (/usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n piCorePlayer -o hw:CARD=ALSA -a 80 1). It worked once after a few reboots, but after some more reboots (I installed LMS on pCP in the meantime) it doesn't work anymore.
    On Diagnostics->Sound I can hear the left&right channels, but otherwise there's no sound. I tried with squeezelite loglevel output=debug and there are lots of errors "output_thread:764 start error: File descriptor in bad state". I tried some other output settings like default or sysdefault:CARD=ALSA and updated squeezelite from 1.9.6 to 1.9.7-1270-pCP without any change.

Any ideas what I probably missed to configure?

hi reinholdk,

If you have a RPi4B then it may be the mmap setting.

[Squeezebox settings] > "Change Squeezelite settings" > "ALSA setting" > 4th field, change 1 to 0, then click [Save].

Short story, after many years mmap became the default, then the RPi4B came along.

regards
    Greg

It’s the 64bit kernel that doesn’t like mmap with the built in audio. I made an obviously failed attempt to override the mmap setting on a pi in 64 bit mode.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    hi reinholdk,

If you have a RPi4B then it may be the mmap setting.

[Squeezebox settings] > "Change Squeezelite settings" > "ALSA setting" > 4th field, change 1 to 0, then click [Save].

Short story, after many years mmap became the default, then the RPi4B came along.

regards
    Greg
    Hi Greg,

yes, it's the RPi4B and yes, disabling mmap did the trick!
    Although I'm planning to use the rpi as my new LMS server (it's the 4GB model) and therefore don't really need the audio on it, it's reassuring to know everything is working.

Thanks for your support and the work you and Paul and others are doing for pCP!

Reinhold