Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

piCorePlayer wifi fails when selecting radio stream

Raspberry Pi 3 B+, Hifiberry Digi, 7 inch touchscreen

piCorePlayer v6.1.0 | www v0009 | linux 4.19.122-pcpCore_v7 | piCore v10.3pCP | Squeezelite v1.9.6-1206-pCP

I can play FLAC files from my NAS consistently. While this is happening I ssh in and look at the output of iwconfig and /proc/net/wireless etc. Signal quality/power seems ok, no dropped packets etc. everything stable.

Some radio stations are OK but if I select BBC Radio 3 the network fails - I lose my ssh connection and LMS can't see the player any more.

I have to reboot to get the thing working again and even then, if it tries to continue playing the same channel it gets stuck again - I have a small window to stop playback with either the LMS web, the device web or jivelite.

Performance of the pi itself seems unaffected - jivelite remains responsive but can't see LMS any more. So it appears this is a network failure rather than the whole pi coming to a halt.

Obviously radio streams differ in various ways, any idea what's up with BBC Radio 3? And what's the best way to debug this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance.

How are you selecting and playing BBC Radio 3?
    For example, if you are using the BBC iPlayer plugin then it can try to give access to the stream at 320 bps.
    Is there anything in the LMS log?
    Since you have SSH session to the server you could run
    tail -f server.log
    (see the LMS web UI Settings/Information for the location of the log file)
    You could also increase the logging levels for various components but that can be done after initial investigation since you might get a quick answer from first looks.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Is The R3 and other radio streams a new problem ?
    Were you able to play R3 OK before ?
    What other station have problems ?

What is your version of LMS ?
    If LMS is not up to date (even 6 months may be too old) with latest https support - there are instances of system hangup.

Thanks for the swift replies!

Paul Webster

How are you selecting and playing BBC Radio 3?
    Either using the LMS web interface or jivelite on the touch screen.
    For example, if you are using the BBC iPlayer plugin then it can try to give access to the stream at 320 bps.
    Via TuneIn, i don't have the iPlayer plugin. As an aside, I have actually tried the 320kbps stream on Volumio on the same hardware (abandoned for other reasons) it was mostly ok, suffered from an occasional dropout.
    Is there anything in the LMS log?
    Now I wasn't expecting to see anything there since the network broke but is this relevant?
    [20-11-11 20:18:46.1065] Slim::Player::Squeezebox2::statHandler (149) Error: b8:27:eb:6d:a0:10: Decoder does not support file format, code 0,
    I'll be able to do more tests later to see if this is coincides with the fault.

bpa

Is The R3 and other radio streams a new problem ?
    This is my first experiment with LMS and piCorePlayer so its all new! Desperately trying to find a ROBUST solution to streaming internet radio and my music to the hifi. I've tried the more heavyweight stuff (various plex clients, volumio, kodi).
    Were you able to play R3 OK before ?
    Yes, same hardware, different software. Which doesn't tell us much other than the LAN and WAN seem up to it.
    What other station have problems ?
    Will do some more experiments tonight.
    What is your version of LMS ?
    I didn't think this was an LMS problem, more a client problem, although having looked at the logs now (see reply to Paul) I'm less sure now.
    Version: 7.9.2 - 1578996832 @ Tue Jan 14 12:17:56 CET 2020
    Running it in a docker container from justifiably/logitechmediaserver

So thanks both, hope that helps. I can investigate more later tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by mistakenot... View Post
    I didn't think this was an LMS problem, more a client problem, although having looked at the logs now (see reply to Paul) I'm less sure now.
    Version: 7.9.2 - 1578996832 @ Tue Jan 14 12:17:56 CET 2020
    Running it in a docker container from justifiably/logitechmediaserver

So thanks both, hope that helps. I can investigate more later tonight.

Way too old.
    IIRC The "decoder does not support file format" is related to an LMS transcoding error which has been fixed.

A lot of radio station/internet services now only support https either for the audio stream, Tunein or the metadata as well as many LMS plugin repositories require https support.

Upgrade to at least 7.9.4 or ideally 8.0.*

Your squeezelite player is also old - you should upgrade to 1.9.7 for both decoder and https reasons as well.

edit:

If you want to use docker I think there is close to an official version discussed in this thread.
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...tainer-for-LMS

Officiaql docker image is at
    https://hub.docker.com/r/lmscommunit...echmediaserver
    Last edited by bpa; 2020-11-12 at 04:22.

Brilliant advice. Lots to change then.

The docker suggestion is interesting though. I had come across the thread you mentioned and tried that container, it almost brought my NAS to its knees - swallowed GBs of RAM. Maybe I had set something up incorrectly but my fix was to simply choose a different container. The justifiably/logitechmediaserver container just worked and seemed popular according to the downloads metric on docker hub but that could be historic.

I'll post results once all my versions are up to date.

I don't use docker nor know about its shortcomings. It is likely that the "official" docker image will be kept up to date and tackle docker specific issues.

The term NAS covers a wide range of hardware so if you have problems, the best way to see if it can be "fixed" is to report your symptom - ideally on the "right" thread as there'll be interested users already reading the thread.

Are you running LMS on your pCP installation?
    If not - then that is an option for you ... although it will be better with an Ethernet connection (if you are using only Wifi).
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

piCorePlayer wifi fails when selectingradio stream

> The docker suggestion is interesting though. I had come across the
    > thread you mentioned and tried that container, it almost brought my NAS
    > to its knees - swallowed GBs of RAM. Maybe I had set something up
    > incorrectly but my fix was to simply choose a different container. The
    > justifiably/logitechmediaserver container just worked and seemed popular
    > according to the downloads metric on docker hub but that could be
    > historic.

The reason most likely wasn't the image, but the LMS version in it: I've
    introduced a bug to the scanner recently which would lead to an infinite
    loop, only ending when it run out of memory. That's probably what you've
    seen.

The other images often are not up to date, thus didn't have that new bug
    :-). But that should be fixed now. Just in case you wanted to give the
    official image another try.

--

Michael

I have a QNAP NAS but after much gnashing of teeth I have pretty much abandoned all the low quality apps, both official and non-official, in favour of Docker. The NAS is now just a box of storage and a host for docker containers. There will always be caveats but Docker allows me to become host agnostic; in theory, if the QNAP dies, so long as I have a backup of my media and the single docker-compose.yml file that describes the setup of all my containers, I could resurrect the whole thing on a Synology, FreeNAS, or dusty old pc/server in minutes.

As for putting LMS on the Pi. I'd rather not do that because of losing the ability to power the pi off and on safely without shutting down. I want the feel of an appliance not a computer. And also, if I can get it working, this will be my reference build for adding clients throughout the house.

This really is my last ditch attempt at creating a workable system for putting music and radio all through the house without buying into Google/Apple/Sonos/Amazon. So far, each solution I've tried has been a bit clunky, unreliable and overtly DIY - maybe that'll be the final lesson: a Raspberry Pi will always be a tinkerer's plaything. Which is fine, I'm a tinkerer myself but lucky enough to do it for a living, when I get home I want to be able to sit back and press play.

But for now I'm still hopeful this will be it. Just a bit more tinkering tonight...