Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

piCorePlayer on RPi Zero W - first time wifi settings

I'm new to piCorePlayer and am attempting to set it up on a RPi Zero W with an Allo MiniBoss DAC board. This hardware setup has worked with Volumio, but I'd like to give piCorePlayer a try after hearing about it from a John Darko article.

My problem is a basic one: I cannot get the system to connect to my wi-fi, using the two methods on the how_to_setup_wifi_on_pcp_without_ethernet page.

1. When I use the setup program with a keyboard and monitor, the settings appear to be saved. After rebooting, I get "Waiting for network.......No network found", and the boot process gets stuck trying to set the date and time (I assume with a service that it can't reach). When I run setup again, the wi-fi settings are blank. Should they still be there, or are they just for one time use?

2. When I create a custom wpa_supplicant.conf file on the SD card, I get similar results. The wi-fi settings appear to be loaded and the system reboots a second time when starting up. I get "Waiting for network.......No network found", and the process hangs up in the same way trying to set the date. I noticed after booting that the file has been renamed to "used_wpa_supplicant.conf" on the SD card.

I've tried the suggestions on the faq_wifi_does_not_work page, like removing the DAC board and verifying the SSID and password. The wi-fi is built into my RPi, so I don't think it's any of the USB adapter issues.

Any help would be most appreciated.

-Alan0

Just create the wpa supplicant file in the boot partition. Change country to your location

Use a text editor

# Maintained by piCorePlayer
    ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
    ctrl_interface_group=staff
    # Two Character Country Code
    country=US
    update_config=1

network={
    ssid="yourssid"
    psk="password"
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    auth_alg=OPEN

Then boot the pi zero. Check the IP address the pi receives from your router. Use this address (eg. 192.168.0.123) in a browser to get the PcP dashboard
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    Just create the wpa supplicant file in the boot partition. Change country to your location

Use a text editor

. . .

Then boot the pi zero. Check the IP address the pi receives from your router. Use this address (eg. 192.168.0.123) in a browser to get the PcP dashboard
    Thank you! I must have had a typo in the file.

I've got an IP address now and can see the piCorePlayer page on that address (192.168.1.14). I'll connect the DAC board and continue the setup of Squeezelite and LMS on that page.

Thank you again,
    Alan0

Quote Originally Posted by Alan0 View Post
    Thank you! I must have had a typo in the file.

I've got an IP address now and can see the piCorePlayer page on that address (192.168.1.14). I'll connect the DAC board and continue the setup of Squeezelite and LMS on that page.

Thank you again,
    Alan0
    Good luck
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Alan0,

When you have "# Maintained by piCorePlayer" in your wpa_supplicant.conf initially on your boot partition, pCP just reads your SSID and password and creates a new wpa_supplicant.conf. So as long as you get the ssid= and psk= lines correct it should work. We do this because we assume most people will make a typo or formatting error. For example, castalla's example has the last } missing.

As I know this, my initial wpa_supplicant.conf are just this.

Code:
    ssid="yourssid"
    psk="password"
    Once you have Wifi working you can go into the [Wifi] page and type your a password again, add the country code, then press [Save]. This will create a new wpa_supplicant.conf with the country code added plus it will encrypt your password so you don't have your password stored as plain text.

regards
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    Hi Alan0,

When you have "# Maintained by piCorePlayer" in your wpa_supplicant.conf initially on your boot partition, pCP just reads your SSID and password and creates a new wpa_supplicant.conf. So as long as you get the ssid= and psk= lines correct it should work. We do this because we assume most people will make a typo or formatting error. For example, castalla's example has the last } missing.

As I know this, my initial wpa_supplicant.conf are just this.

Code:
    ssid="yourssid"
    psk="password"
    Once you have Wifi working you can go into the [Wifi] page and type your a password again, add the country code, then press [Save]. This will create a new wpa_supplicant.conf with the country code added plus it will encrypt your password so you don't have your password stored as plain text.

regards
    Greg
    Note, it also may change the wireless IP address (well it does on mine ) but you can see the new one on the wifi page after you save

ronnie

It doesn't happen on my system. I guess its a function of your DHCP settings. My IP addresses remain fairly consistent until there is a power failure.

Thank you for all the help!

I've got everything running and have attached my USB drive with my music. Exploring the plugins and other music sources now.

-Alan0