Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

[SOLVED]Can't install 7.9 on Arch Linux ARM. Can I copy from an old installation?

Hello. I had 7.9.2 working (I swear I did!) on Arch Linux and was forced to reinstall from scratch due to a failed SD card. Therefore my Arch installation is presumably up to date, including perl. So I'll make my question very simple:

How does one install LMS version 7.9.2 on Arch Linux ARM?

I've spend hours trying and can't get it to work. I had a package I had rebuilt due to a conflict I'd found a solution to, but now that same install package gives me an error telling me to download a different buildme.sh. I can't seem to get that to work either.

I know there's a simple step-by-step tutorial out there. ;-) Can somebody please point me to it? Or can I copy all the needed files over from my old installation?

TIA
    Les
    Last edited by Lestrad; 2020-08-07 at 08:27.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.0.0 - ARCH-AUR-GIT.20200807.1a544e3 running on Wandboard Quad, music library on USB HDD
    Squeezebox Touch plugged into run-of-the-mill stereo rig via Musical Fidelity X-Act, extra speakers in kitchen, basement, and bedroom connected by ordinary (not unidirectional) copper wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Lestrad View Post
    How does one install LMS version 7.9.2 on Arch Linux ARM?
    There are 2 pkgbuilds (7.9.2 and -git) in the AUR. Have you tried these?
    Various SW: Web Interface | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | LMSlib2go | ...
    Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...

Quote Originally Posted by Roland0 View Post
    There are 2 pkgbuilds (7.9.2 and -git) in the AUR. Have you tried these?
    Yes, I just finished rebuilding and reinstalling and I get the same error:

Code:
    [alarm@alarm logitechmediaserver]$ sudo systemctl status logitechmediaserver.service
    * logitechmediaserver.service - Logitech Media Server Daemon
         Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/logitechmediaserver.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
         Active: inactive (dead) since Fri 2020-08-07 05:21:59 UTC; 8s ago
        Process: 28105 ExecStart=/opt/logitechmediaserver/slimserver.pl --prefsdir /opt/logitechmediaserver/prefs --cachedir /opt/logitechmedi>
       Main PID: 28105 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Aug 07 05:21:59 alarm slimserver.pl[28105]: If you're running some unsupported Linux/Unix platform, please use the buildme.sh
    Aug 07 05:21:59 alarm slimserver.pl[28105]: script located here:
    Aug 07 05:21:59 alarm slimserver.pl[28105]: https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver-vendor/tree/public/7.9/CPAN
    Aug 07 05:21:59 alarm slimserver.pl[28105]: If 7.9 is outdated by the time you read this, Replace "7.9" with the major version
    Aug 07 05:21:59 alarm slimserver.pl[28105]: You should never need to do this if you're on Windows or Mac OSX. If the installers
    Aug 07 05:21:59 alarm slimserver.pl[28105]: don't work for you, ask for help and/or report a bug.
    Aug 07 05:21:59 alarm slimserver.pl[28105]: *******
    Aug 07 05:21:59 alarm slimserver.pl[28105]:                         
    Aug 07 05:21:59 alarm slimserver.pl[28105]: Exiting..
    Aug 07 05:21:59 alarm systemd[1]: logitechmediaserver.service: Succeeded.
    This most recent try was with the buildme.sh referenced in the error message.
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.0.0 - ARCH-AUR-GIT.20200807.1a544e3 running on Wandboard Quad, music library on USB HDD
    Squeezebox Touch plugged into run-of-the-mill stereo rig via Musical Fidelity X-Act, extra speakers in kitchen, basement, and bedroom connected by ordinary (not unidirectional) copper wire.

I re-cloned the repository and am now rebuilding again...

Same result. However there is the following message when I first run systemctl status logitechmediaserver.service:

Code:
    /usr/lib/systemd/system/logitechmediaserver.service:8: PIDFile= references a path below legacy directory /var/run/, updating /var/run/lms.pid → /run/lms.pid; please update the unit file accordingly.
    I'm not sure how to "update the unit file" ...

Okay, I updated the unit file (/usr/lib/systemd/system/logitechmediaserver.service) as per the message and rebooted and re-started LMS, still with the same result:

Code:
    * logitechmediaserver.service - Logitech Media Server Daemon
         Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/logitechmediaserver.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
         Active: inactive (dead) since Fri 2020-08-07 06:34:15 UTC; 3s ago
        Process: 529 ExecStart=/opt/logitechmediaserver/slimserver.pl --prefsdir /opt/logitechmediaserver/prefs --cachedir /opt/logitechm>
       Main PID: 529 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Aug 07 06:34:15 alarm slimserver.pl[529]: If you're running some unsupported Linux/Unix platform, please use the buildme.sh
    Aug 07 06:34:15 alarm slimserver.pl[529]: script located here:
    Aug 07 06:34:15 alarm slimserver.pl[529]: https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver-vendor/tree/public/7.9/CPAN
    Aug 07 06:34:15 alarm slimserver.pl[529]: If 7.9 is outdated by the time you read this, Replace "7.9" with the major version
    Aug 07 06:34:15 alarm slimserver.pl[529]: You should never need to do this if you're on Windows or Mac OSX. If the installers
    Aug 07 06:34:15 alarm slimserver.pl[529]: don't work for you, ask for help and/or report a bug.
    Aug 07 06:34:15 alarm slimserver.pl[529]: *******
    Aug 07 06:34:15 alarm slimserver.pl[529]:                         
    Aug 07 06:34:15 alarm slimserver.pl[529]: Exiting..
    Aug 07 06:34:15 alarm systemd[1]: logitechmediaserver.service: Succeeded.
    I'm not sure what to try next.
    Last edited by Lestrad; 2020-08-06 at 23:42.

"Bleeding edge"

I decided to try to compile and install the "bleeding edge" version (logitechmediaserver-git) from the AUR. It's been compiling for about three hours now. I'll keep everybody ;-) posted.

success?

The compile finally finished, and I was able to install. A scan of my Music folder is now underway.

Installing LMS on Wandboard running Arch Linux ARM

I managed to get it installed using the "git" version found on the AUR. The other version on that same site is the one that was giving me all the trouble. The -git one took almost three hours to compile, but once the package was compiled it installed easily and worked right away.

Here's what I did for the benefit of non-geeks like myself:

First make sure git is installed sudo pacman - Sy git so you can download the sources.

Then make sure base-devel has been installed so you can build the install package.

Run git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/logitechmediaserver.git (the other pkgbuild currently on AUR produced an install that failed to start the daemon for reasons I did not take the time to try to figure out).

From the installation directory created by git and called logitechmediaserver-git, run

makepkg -s

Building takes a very very long time - more than two hours.

Once the build is complete, verify that the new .xz file is there. Mine is called "logitechmediaserver-git-20200807.1a544e3-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz" - fortunately I was able to avoid entering it by hand.

Run sudo pacman -U logitechmediaserver-git-20200807.1a544e3-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz (or whatever your .xz is called).

Once installation is complete, start and enable the logitechmediaserver service:

- sudo systemctl start logitechmediaserver-git.service

- sudo systemctl enable logitechmediaserver-git.service

Then LMS should run when you connect to port 9000 on your Wandboard [wandboard-ip]:9000.

Make sure your locale is EN_US-utf8 (or your preferred language-utf8) before you run a scan to make sure accÚnted chÓractŰrs will get through.

And that's it. Enjoy your music.
    Last edited by Lestrad; 2020-08-21 at 01:04.