Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Raspberry Pi Model 4 Memory Options for PiCorePlayer and LMS Server or Just Player

OK, I end up recommending PiCorePlayer and Raspberry Pi Model 4 to a lot of Different Folks and would like some guidance on the Memory Options available on the RPi Model 4.

The Rpi Model 4 is Available in 4 Memory Options as far as I know 1GB, 2GB, 4GB and 8 GB. I am wondering how much Memory to recommend in the Following Configurations.

1.) Running PiCorePlayer with LMS and Squeezelite Running on the Same Rpi
    2.) Just running LMS on a RPi
    3.) Just running Squeezelite on a Rpi.

Also, does the Size of the Music Library Make any difference as far as Memory Goes?

Anything Else that I may be Missing?

Raspberry Pi Model 4 Memory Options forPiCorePlayer and LMS Server or Just Player

> The Rpi Model 4 is Available in 4 Memory Options as far as I know 1GB,
    > 2GB, 4GB and 8 GB. I am wondering how much Memory to recommend in the
    > Following Configurations.

AFAIK the 1GB model is legacy. 2GB now is the "entry model".

> 1.) Running PiCorePlayer with LMS and Squeezelite Running on the Same
    > Rpi

Pick any of them.

> 2.) Just running LMS on a RPi

Dito.

> 3.) Just running Squeezelite on a Rpi.

Any of the the 4th generation is overkill. Even a Pi0 would do in many
    cases.

> Also, does the Size of the Music Library Make any difference as far as
    > Memory Goes?

Unless you are beyond 100k tracks 2GB should be good enough. I run about
    25k tracks on a Pi3b+ with 1GB, and it's super snappy.

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    >
    Any of the the 4th generation is overkill. Even a Pi0 would do in many
    cases.
    Michael
    OK Thanks! -- The main reason I recommend the 4th Generation Rpi is for the USB input into a DAC.
    This saves about $100, as you don't need a 'Top Hat' for SPIDF output.

The USB outputs on a Model 3 never really worked all that well, so the 4th Generation saves a lot of Money.

For usage with LMS on the Pi a Pi 4 is the better one if you want to attach your music library directly via USB eg. on a SSD. The Pi before are very slow here.
    On my Pi 4 4GB LMS and Squeezelite are running fine.
    Pi4 4GB piCorePlayer with LMS and Squeezelite for USB; Pi3B+ (7" Display, Hifiberry DAC+ Pro) piCoreplayer with Squeezlite/Jivelite for Hifiberry and Bluetooth headphone; two Airport Express

Quote Originally Posted by carsten_h View Post
    For usage with LMS on the Pi a Pi 4 is the better one if you want to attach your music library directly via USB eg. on a SSD. The Pi before are very slow here.
    On my Pi 4 4GB LMS and Squeezelite are running fine.
    Mine also... The point was that you don't need to Buy a 4GB Model 4, when the 2GB will do just fine according to Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
    Mine also... The point was that you don't need to Buy a 4GB Model 4, when the 2GB will do just fine according to Michael.
    The 4 GB helps if you are running MusicIP as well as LMS.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    The 4 GB helps if you are running MusicIP as well as LMS.

I don't run MusicIP, but maybe Michael would like to weigh in on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
    I don't run MusicIP, but maybe Michael would like to weigh in on this?
    MusicIP uses a lot of memory during a clear and rescan and the more tracks you have the more memory it uses. When I used a Pi3B I had a 2GB swap file to cope with this.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    MusicIP uses a lot of memory during a clear and rescan and the more tracks you have the more memory it uses. When I used a Pi3B I had a 2GB swap file to cope with this.
    I think the reason for this memory usage is that at start-up the LMS MusicIP plugin queries MusicIP for all tracks, to know whether to add the 'Create Mix' option for a track, etc. I use MusicIP, but I've never used this 'Create Mix' side, as I'm only interested in using it as a mixer for 'Dont Stop the Music'. To this end I have forked the LMS MusicIP plugin, and stripped it down to only the DSTM side - and added enhancements like genre filtering, exclude artists, etc. My plugin is still under development, but if you only want the LMS MusicIP plugin for DSTM then it might be an alternative that will reduce memory, and time, usage for rescans, etc. If you are interesed you can find it at: https://github.com/CDrummond/lms-mipmixer No releases yet, so you would need to clone the repo.
    Material debug: 1. Launch via http: //SERVER:9000/material/?debug=json (Use http: //SERVER:9000/material/?debug=json,cometd to also see update messages, e.g. play queue) 2. Open browser's developer tools 3. Open console tab in developer tools 4. REQ/RESP messages sent to/from LMS will be logged here.

Quote Originally Posted by cpd73 View Post
    I think the reason for this memory usage is that at start-up the LMS MusicIP plugin queries MusicIP for all tracks, to know whether to add the 'Create Mix' option for a track, etc. I use MusicIP, but I've never used this 'Create Mix' side, as I'm only interested in using it as a mixer for 'Dont Stop the Music'. To this end I have forked the LMS MusicIP plugin, and stripped it down to only the DSTM side - and added enhancements like genre filtering, exclude artists, etc. My plugin is still under development, but if you only want the LMS MusicIP plugin for DSTM then it might be an alternative that will reduce memory, and time, usage for rescans, etc. If you are interesed you can find it at: https://github.com/CDrummond/lms-mipmixer No releases yet, so you would need to clone the repo.
    Sounds interesting. I very rarely use Create Mix and playing the track then allowing DSTM to take over should be the same anyway.