Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Squeezebox Boom Installation Problem - Further Information

Further to my earlier questions on this site, I have been trying to find why I cannot install LMS on my Mac. It 's been downloaded ok, and shows as having been installed, but nothing actually is. I am not knowledgable about these things, but I have just looked at the Log files on my Mac, and under Software>Logs there is a whole string of entries showing the date and time of my last LMS installation attempt, and most of them read something along the lines of:

com.apple.XPC launched [1] Service exited due to SIGKILL

Having looked up SIGKILL it would appear that this is what is blocking the installation of LMS, but I can't see whether it is possible to remove SIGKILL. Is it possible?

Squeezebox Boom Installation Problem -Further Information

> Further to my earlier questions on this site, I have been trying to find

Can you link to that discussion? I feel you're going too far in the
    wrong direction too quickly.

--

Michael

His posts are given here:

https://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?48681-Allen

Best wishes,

David Ring
    N1EA

Quote Originally Posted by djringjr View Post
    His posts are given here:

https://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?48681-Allen

Best wishes,

David Ring
    N1EA
    Thanks guys. Can you confirm that LMS:Mac OSX Installer 7.9.3. issued issued 31 July 2020 Which is the one I have downloaded is 64 bit? I assume it is. I have had replies from Apple Community Forum which actually provides no answer to my problem, other than to suggest that the removal of SIGKILL which appears to be blocking the installation is very difficult to remove. I assume that LMS 7.9.3 SHOULD install because there is a specific version for OSX.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Thanks guys. Can you confirm that LMS:Mac OSX Installer 7.9.3. issued issued 31 July 2020 Which is the one I have downloaded is 64 bit? I assume it is. I have had replies from Apple Community Forum which actually provides no answer to my problem, other than to suggest that the removal of SIGKILL which appears to be blocking the installation is very difficult to remove. I assume that LMS 7.9.3 SHOULD install because there is a specific version for OSX.
    The latest version is: LogitechMediaServer-7.7.6

https://mysqueezebox.com/download

SIGKILL cannot be removed, it is a protection "call" of the operating system when there is something wrong. SIGKILL kills a wayward application.

Best wishes,

David Ring

Quote Originally Posted by djringjr View Post
    The latest version is: LogitechMediaServer-7.7.6

https://mysqueezebox.com/download
    Why do you think 7.7.6 is the latest when the OP has downloaded 7.9.3?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Why do you think 7.7.6 is the latest when the OP has downloaded 7.9.3?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    7.7.6 is the latest stable release. It's not unheard of that beta software like 7.9.3 doesn't work.

If I was having problems installing something, I'd make sure I was using stable version not beta or git software.

That's why I told him that, because the latest release is 7.7.6.

Thanks,

DR

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Allen,

I've been half following your problem, I run Mac OS 10.14 Mojave and believe you're on 10.15 Catalina so cannot specifically help you, but I downloaded and installed LMS and had it running for the first time ever on my Mac, no problems, in less than 5 minutes.

So your issues are very specific to your and possibly Catalina setup.

You seem to be bouncing around between the different versions of LMS, so I'll clarify them as I understand them - I suggest you select the one that suits your needs going forward and stick with that...

7.7.6 - The last official Logitech release before they stopped ongoing development of the product (last update to this version released back in 2018 by Michael, I believe)

7.9.2 - Michael Herger's continued development of the product, stable and fully released from beta by him (14 January 2020)
    7.9.3 - Michael Herger's continued development of the product, pretty stable but beta with bug fixes and some minor developments going forward

8 - Michael Herger's continued development of the product, beta, adds support for streaming service integration with local files, potentially unstable

Links to the versions and their changelogs were posted by Michael here:

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...erver-Versions

and missing from Michaels post the direct 7.9.2 link is here:

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/Log...Server_v7.9.2/

I strongly suggest these are the only locations you download LMS from are those

I use 7.9.2 on my "live" system (Raspbery Pi based server) as I want stable and do not use any music streaming service.

To answer your specific 64 bit question, according to the changelogs Version 7.7.3 dated 21/8/2013 :

• Make the OSX PrefPane 64-bit compatible.

I've not looked on your other thread(s) for a while, but a couple of points there that stuck out for me...

LMS installed on a Mac - there is no App in the Applications folder, so it can look like it's not installed, but it may well be...
    LMS service/application control on Mac OS is via System Preferences, at the bottom of the System Preferences are the Third Party Preference Panes, after installation LMS Preference Pane should appear there.
    You seem to think your problem is install, I'm not so sure, perhaps the install is OK but LMS then fails to run, if that's the case there will be log file entries that should help further diagnose the problem, I think via the aforementioned preference pane
    If I remember correctly quite a few forum members pointed you towards threads/posts regarding permissions in Catalina that need tweaking to allow LMS to run correctly on Catalina, if LMS has installed this maybe you next point of call.

However, my advice for you going forward is to make sure you engage with Michael (mherger), he maintains LMS and is super helpful, respond to his questions and advice in a timely manner, and be patient waiting for him to respond - this is not his day job anymore and also try not to deviate from where he is guiding you as I'm sure he'll get you there, you seem pretty confused by it all at the moment and as Michael says "going in the wrong direction too fast"

Hope this helps

Kind Regards

Kev

Thanks for all that information. I also made contact with Apple support today. Not an easy thing to do. She had a look at what I had downloaded , and eventually explained that I was downloading the wrong LMS. I needed one for macOS Catalina not LMS Mac OSX). So I searched again and there is material on the Logitech website headed "Important information for Logitech Control Centre and macOS Catalina and Mojave". It explains that you have to update the Logitech Control Centre BEFORE installing macOS Catalina. Now they tell me. It also gives a link to the Download page. Then there is a link to "LCC permission prompts on macOS Catalina". It states that "Starting with macOS Catalina, (10.15) Apple has a new policy that requires user permission for LCC software for the following features:

INPUT MONITORING is needed for the device software functionality to work
    SCREEN RECORDING is needed to record your screen to use the screen capture function
    ACCESS TO FILES AND FOLDERS for Open file/folder tasks

Don't know whether that makes any sense.

It all looks great until you try to do it when once again the screenshots shown in detail on the support pages are nothing like the ones that come up on my screen, and the LCC will download to file/folder but won't install or open. No idea whether, if I ever get that bit sorted, I then have to download and install LMS as well.
    Maybe it's because I have already installed Catalina, but there is no instruction that it should be uninstalled first. Would I lose everything if I did?

Heartily fed up with the whole thing.

But at least Logitech acknowledged elsewhere that there is a problem, and that they are still working on it with Apple.

I'll study your very kind and helpful information when I gather strength tomorrow morning and see if there is something there that will work. Don't think I've ever heard of "Logitech Control Centre" though.

Your advice is very much appreciated, I can assure you.

Allen

Hi,

I am running the latest version of Catalina (Mac OS 10.15.6) and I'd like to report that it is possible to run LMS on the latest Mac OS release. I installed LMS-8 from downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=8.0 . For me the install was super easy, I downloaded and run the Mac OSX installer. Since the package is not signed I had to specifically allow the installer to run (System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General). The installer requests to install a System Preference Pane.

I know, the above report is probably not too helpful but I wanted to report that it is possible to install LMS-8 on a Mac running the latest Catalina without any hassle.

Reading your other post it is hard to understand if you successfully installed LMS or not. Downloading is one step but you need to run the installer. If you have LMS installed I suggest than you remove all traces of LMS on you machine and start over with LMS-8. It might still be beta but Spotify and local music works perfectly. Installing LMS-8 will add an icon to System Preferences and start the server immediately. Once you reach this state I think it is possible for the community to help you.

Cheers
    Working - 1xSB3, 2xTouch, 3xRadios (one w battery pack), 1xBoom
    Broken - 1xSB3 (will try to revive with replacing capacitors)