Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Picoreplayer can't see my usb stick

Hi,

I am a new user to the Picoreplayer, having previously used volumio with LMS as a plugin.

For the Picoreplayer, I am able to get music streaming and airplay to work. But Picoreplayer is not able to see my usb stick (FAT32, 256G, works well with volumio via LMS plugin). I tried to follow all the instructions I can find - installed and enabled additional file extensions, installed util-linux.tcz extension. But my usb stick just could not be seen. I remove the drive and connect to my mac and I can see it. What more can I try to make it work?

Thank you.

is it a rPi4B (so it has the "blue" USB 3.0 slots?). If so, try one of the NON USB 3.0 slots instead. I assume you've mounted the USB stick following the instructions here for adding a USB drive (and if so, the drive shows as mounted in the picoreplayer webGUI. You might need to give it additional time to mount upon startup in the picoreplayer tweaks. I had a setup where the USB drive wasn't mounting in time for the rPi to recognize it.
    https://www.picoreplayer.org/how_to_add_usb_hdd.shtml
    Last edited by garym; 2020-08-01 at 10:59.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.3>Squeezelite
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    is it a rPi4B (so it has the "blue" USB 3.0 slots?). If so, try one of the NON USB 3.0 slots instead. I assume you've mounted the USB stick following the instructions here for adding a USB drive (and if so, the drive shows as mounted in the picoreplayer webGUI. You might need to give it additional time to mount upon startup in the picoreplayer tweaks. I had a setup where the USB drive wasn't mounting in time for the rPi to recognize it.
    https://www.picoreplayer.org/how_to_add_usb_hdd.shtml
    Hi. I am using a Magna Mano player. All 4 usb slots are not blue, but black - probably usb 2.0. Yes, I followed the instructions from the link you shared. I have waited a long time (say 10-15 min), and yet picoreplayer's webUI under "LMS" could not see the usb stick (fat 32, 256G), so I could not mount it.

I try with another small USB stick (FAT16, 256MB) and it could work.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleToast View Post
    Hi. I am using a Magna Mano player. All 4 usb slots are not blue, but black - probably usb 2.0. Yes, I followed the instructions from the link you shared. I have waited a long time (say 10-15 min), and yet picoreplayer's webUI under "LMS" could not see the usb stick (fat 32, 256G), so I could not mount it.

I try with another small USB stick (FAT16, 256MB) and it could work.
    just waiting for it to mount will never work if there's not enough time. piCorePlayer will try to mount the USB disk and if it doesn't mount in the default time (I think 2 seconds), it skips it and never tries again. That's why you need to manually change the seconds waited for mounting. I changed my USB disk mount time to 6 seconds I recall and that solved my problem. I'm not at home so can't give you the exact steps. Somewhere in piCorePlayer tweaks I recall.

I've only used NTFS or exFat formatted drives. can you format to exFat?

edit and are you connecting the USB drive to the rPi or to the Magno Mano player. I'm talking about connecting the USB drive to the rPi running piCorePlayer. Not sure what a Magno Mano player is????
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    just waiting for it to mount will never work if there's not enough time. piCorePlayer will try to mount the USB disk and if it doesn't mount in the default time (I think 2 seconds), it skips it and never tries again. That's why you need to manually change the seconds waited for mounting. I changed my USB disk mount time to 6 seconds I recall and that solved my problem. I'm not at home so can't give you the exact steps. Somewhere in piCorePlayer tweaks I recall.

I've only used NTFS or exFat formatted drives. can you format to exFat?

edit and are you connecting the USB drive to the rPi or to the Magno Mano player. I'm talking about connecting the USB drive to the rPi running piCorePlayer. Not sure what a Magno Mano player is????
    Thanks for explaining. I see. Ok. I will try to find the tweak for the mounting time if I can. I can try to format it to exfat. See if it works. I will get back.

Thanks for explaining. I see. Ok. I will try to find the tweak for the mounting time if I can. I can try to format it to exfat. See if it works. I will get back.
    it's buried somewhere in the piCorePlayer webGUI under one of the menu items.

Solved

I reformatted the fat32 256G drive to exfat. It works. Need not extend usb wait time. I tried that to 10s and without reformatting to exfat it does not work. Just reformatting to exfat works with just the default 2s in usb wait time. 👍

I reformatted the fat32 256G drive to exfat. It works. Need not extend usb wait time. I tried that to 10s and without reformatting to exfat it does not work. Just reformatting to exfat works with just the default 2s in usb wait time. 👍
    Perfect!