Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

5G Wifi dongle recommendations for Pi Zero

Hi,

I have been a very satisfied user of PCP for a few years now, and have 5 Pi Zero Ws (w/ Justboom Amp pHAT). This set-up works really will, however I am starting to have wifi issues again. I have the wifi channel set manually on my router (Ch. 13 seems to work best for me). However the wifi usage is getting congested where I live.

Anyway, I am thinking of moving over to an external USB wifi dongle, so as to allow me to use the 5G band. It's going to be attached to the USB port of a Pi Zero (using the USB-A adaptor that came with the Pi). Would one of these work well?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxesla-Int...5674035&sr=8-1

Or could someone recommend one that is known to work well?

Many Thanks!
    Toonie.
    Last edited by Toonie; 2020-07-25 at 04:01.

The tough thing is that nobody tells you which chipset is in the device when you buy it..... I use this one edimax ew-7811utc

There are others, but I could not tell you the brand and model number, I could only give you driver names.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for your comments. I had a look for the dongle you suggested. One thing I noticed, is that it doesn't feature the same kind of large external antenna that some others have, EG the one I had found. So will this offer a significant boost to wifi reception over the Pi Zero W's built in wifi interface?

I am very tempted to just try one out and see. Presumably it's easy to select this over the built in wifi within the pCP configuration menu.

Regards,
    Toonie.