Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

USB WiFi adapter

I continue to have problems connecting the Touch to my wifi network. as a possible solution, i'm considering adding a Wifi adapter, either via the ethernet port, or, more elegantly, to the USB port of the Touch. I'm not using EDO. would something like this work?

https://smile.amazon.com/Adapter-120..._t1_B018YPWORE

Name:  611kJCAcNpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  51.7 KB
    --
    4 TB Drobo-->FW 800-->mac mini-->Ethernet
    Transporter--> Wireworld Eclipse 6 coax-->Meridian G61
    G61--> Nordost Red Dawn-->Primare 30.3
    Primare-->Ocos--Vienna Acoustics Beethoven/Maestro

Whenever I have had a wifi problem I make sure I am using a channel not used by my neighbours and set my router to that, so no auto channel selection.

So I am not sure if its picking an unused channel or setting to NOT use auto that fixes it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    Whenever I have had a wifi problem I make sure I am using a channel not used by my neighbours and set my router to that, so no auto channel selection.

So I am not sure if its picking an unused channel or setting to NOT use auto that fixes it for me.
    not possible with eero, unfortunately.
    --

Are you having problems connecting, or is the WiFi dropping after you’re connected?

I’ve read a few posts where people are having trouble with the SB Radio dropping WiFi, but haven’t seen any problems with WiFi dropping on the touch.

What does the Touch show as the WiFi strength %

I’m using a WiFi to Ethernet adaptor for my SB Radio that’s dropping WiFi, though no problem with my Touch.
    The solution I found is here: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post932270
    Amazon has the Vonets: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by Tony T; 2020-07-20 at 16:01.
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Are you having problems connecting, or is the WiFi dropping after youíre connected?

Iíve read a few posts where people are having trouble with the SB Radio dropping WiFi, but havenít seen any problems with WiFi dropping on the touch.

What does the Touch show as the WiFi strength %

Iím using a WiFi to Ethernet adaptor for my SB Radio thatís dropping WiFi, though no problem with my Touch.
    The solution I found is here: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post932270
    Amazon has the Vonets: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    yes, it's the same type of problem as reported for the Radio. the vonets probably will work fine,, but the usb antenna is a more elegant solution i think than the dongle.

i suppose the question is, will the USB port on the touch power the antenna, and will the antenna appear as an alternate network source in the touch settings?
    --

Quote Originally Posted by netchord View Post
    i suppose the question is, will the USB port on the touch power the antenna, and will the antenna appear as an alternate network source in the touch settings?
    Just go with "NO" for the answer to that one

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Just go with "NO" for the answer to that one

ronnie
    is this speculation, or have you had some similar experience?
    --

yes, it's the same type of problem as reported for the Radio. the vonets probably will work fine,, but the usb antenna is a more elegant solution i think than the dongle.

Isn’t this WiFi adapter “dongle” a WiFi extender? If temporary placing the Touch closer to the router works (what’s the signal strength reported by the Touch now?), then thiis might work. If it were me, I’d give it a try, and if it didn’t work, I would try to return it to Amazon (not sure if this item qualifies for a free return)
    Last edited by Tony T; 2020-07-21 at 14:11.
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Isnít this WiFi adapter ďdongleĒ a WiFi extender? If temporary placing the Touch closer to the router works (whatís the signal strength reported by the Touch now?), then thiis might work. If it were me, Iíd give it a try, and if it didnít work, I would try to return it to Amazon (not sure if this item qualifies for a free return)
    i think it will fix the WiFi problem; the question is will the Touch recognize it via the USB input.
    --

i think it will fix the WiFi problem; the question is will the Touch recognize it via the USB input.
    No. The Touch will recognize the WiFi signal through its WiFi chip. Itís not the Ethernet port.
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬