Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So Excited! But a small screen problem.

After moving to a new house in a retirement village 2 years ago in southern Western Australia, I've been in a situation where I have been unable to connect the old SBB to the internet because of an inadequate wi-fi coverage. Anyway, today I was presented with a new modem and lo and behold, we're back on line again. So happy. Gives a great sound. Hope the screen holds up, I hear they fade away in due course. Are there replacement screens. And can I stream Spotify on it??

Yes you can access Spotify if you install LMS on something (PC, MAC, Raspberry Pi, NAS).
    Needs to be up and running whenever you want to listen to Spotify or your own local music - at other times you could use mysqueezebox.com
    A lot now use Raspberry Pi and leave it running 24*7.

As for screen life ... it will last longest if you leave it off ...
    That might not be what you want though so at least make sure that it is off when you are not playing anything and set it to a low brightness.

You can see what is playing and select music using a modern mobile phone / tablet or computer.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Yes, I've downloaded the latest version of LMS to my Mac. It gives me a message saying the download was successful. However, I can't find it in APS on the Mac, the SBB shows "No Squeezebox server found" , and under accounts (or somewhere) I see "Server Stopped" underneath a box with the entry "Start Server". But clicking on it doesn't start anything. I suppose it's because the system is so old now and Logitech doesn't support it much if at all. Any advice would be welcome, because the SBB still does sound good (when it works).

Hopefully a MAC person will be along soon and explain the install process.
    They will want to know which version of MACOS (or whatever it is called) you are running.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Hopefully a MAC person will be along soon and explain the install process.
    They will want to know which version of MACOS (or whatever it is called) you are running.
    Again I don;t know mac but if it is really old- you need more than MacOS version but also processor type if not x86

I think I'll give up. The SBB has now dropped out of my wi-fi connection, and despite running a factory re-set and carefully checking the password, it just keeps telling me, after trying to connect, that it can't.

I've got two other internet radios (a Kogan and an Ocean), so I probably don't need the SBB. I see Ocean makes an i/net radio that looks extremely like the SBB and it gets good reviews. Might buy one of those if i feel the urge. Not very expensive.

Is your WiFi network "modern" (e.g. a mesh or WiFi6)?
    If yes then it might be contributing to the problem.
    There are also suggestions that changing the WiFi channel being used might help.

Another possibility is that the WiFi card has had enough and needs to be replaced (a bit fiddly but relatively easy to do).

Ethernet might work fine - but if you do not have a connection nearby you could probably use a Wifi->Ethernet bridge/extender or run Ethernet over the power network - which might be cheaper than buying a new audio device.

If you give up on it completely then there are people here would love to get hold of the Boom to either repair it or use for spares.
    Paul Webster

Yes, it is a modern modem. It's a HUAWEI Wi-Fi supplied by the "Lifestyle Village" where I now live. The previous modem (a CISCO) would not connect any of my internet radios, but the new one connected all 3. I guess the SBB being nearly 10 years old is the problem. It sort of works, but it's something of a mess. I can't get it to connect (as I mentioned above) to the LMS version 7.7.6 which I have downloaded. When I click on the box "Start Media Server", it flicks back down to "The Media Server has stopped". When I go to "Preferences" and click on the LMS icon, there are no details in "Library", "Account", "Advanced", or "Information" and I can't fill in my email address or password.
    I have read all the earlier entries in this forum (2014) but can't make much sense of them. Also, there are a lot of stations I see in my "Favourites" some of which no longer exist, but I can't get rid of them. I get to "Remove Favorites" but no matter what I press nothing happens. Sometimes I get a message "Removing", but nothing happens. Probably it's because i'm not connected to the server. I'd love to get it working again as it's a great radio.

The Mac's operating system version is the latest, Catalina 10.15.6.

Living as I do in the far south-west of Western Australia, there are few local radio stations, and so I am dependent upon internet radio for a lot of music, news and entertainment. We do have a lot of TV however.

Most grateful if anyone can help sort me out.

Allen Hull

Further to my message above, I found a more recent LMS download by using Safari rather than Chrome. LMS 7.9.3. 54.2MB. I downloaded it, but when I tried to open it I got a message saying "Cannot be opened because it is from an unidentified developer. macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware. Safari downloaded this file today at 9.42pm from 'downloads.slimdevices.com' ".

I'm pretty sure that the website is genuine because it has all the Logitech details, and also shows that there is an even later version.

"Stable release: 8.0.0 /January 14 2020; 5 months ago.

Operating system: Linux, Windows, macOS, BSD, Solaris

Presumably I have to disable something to open the file, but AVAST wants to block me too.

I really need to sort this out, because all the stations are in a real mess, and I can't remove ones I don't want, and nor can I set new ones on the preset buttons. I assume this is because I am not connected to the server. Would that be correct?

Managed to download LMS 8. Hold 'Control' and click. However, the server will still not start.