Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Genres not showing for some vinyl and/or cassette tape ripped music.

The other day I was looking at what music I have in different genres. While filtering I noticed some of the music digitized from LP (vinyl) or cassette tapes didn't show up. These albums or tapes all have been tagged with the appropriate genre, but they aren't listed under the genre in LMS.

The genre shows up in LMS, but the (vinyl/cassette ripped) music assigned to the genre does not. Changing the genre of a song ripped from a CD worked. It showed up under the genre in question.

Each LP and cassette tape were digitized to single .wav files, split into separate songs and then converted to .flac using EAC. Finally Foobar 2000 was used to tag each album/song. The genres for some of the music done this way works, but some don't.

I'm using LMS version 8 running on Windows 10. Any idea what might cause this issue? Any idea where to start troubleshooting?

I'm grateful for any help I can get.

Why don't you compare some files that do work against others that don't within a tag editor? That would help to see if there are any errors which prevent albums being displayed correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shozzer View Post
    Why don't you compare some files that do work against others that don't within a tag editor? That would help to see if there are any errors which prevent albums being displayed correctly.
    Thanks for your reply. Which tag editor should I use? Is there one that will give me more information than what I'm using? When I look at the files using Foobar the tags are there whether it's a rip from a CD or from a vinyl (LP) record. When I add the column Genre in Windows file explorer the genre shows up as well. It's only when I look at the genres in LMS the files/songs are not showing up under the genre selected.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDad View Post
    Thanks for your reply. Which tag editor should I use? Is there one that will give me more information than what I'm using? When I look at the files using Foobar the tags are there whether it's a rip from a CD or from a vinyl (LP) record. When I add the column Genre in Windows file explorer the genre shows up as well. It's only when I look at the genres in LMS the files/songs are not showing up under the genre selected.
    Try mp3tag on Windows. Load both the working and not working files, then select all. If the Genre field says '< keep >', the tags differ (assuming here that both sets should have the same genre). Make sure that the files only have FLAC tags (see Tag column), not mp3 or other types in addition.

Quote Originally Posted by reinholdk View Post
    Try mp3tag on Windows. Load both the working and not working files, then select all. If the Genre field says '< keep >', the tags differ (assuming here that both sets should have the same genre). Make sure that the files only have FLAC tags (see Tag column), not mp3 or other types in addition.
    I don't find any issue when using mp3tag in differentiating between flac and mp3 tags. I would, though, look at the show extended tags option to see if there are additional tags which are affecting things.

Screen shot of genre tag

I downloaded mpstag and took a look at the files in question. It's puzzling. All of them show the correct genre in mp3tag (as well as in Foobar & Windows). Extended tags showed the genre as well.

In LMS it's different. Some albums show up under their the genre/s. Others don't. Seems the ones not showing up in LMS are collection albums with many various artists. See screen shot below. American Graffiti doesn't show up under Oldies in LMS, but Animals does show up under Rock.

I tested changing the genre of a Billboard top 1957 songs CD and now it's not showing up under the genre. Is there something special which needs to be done to "collection" type albums?

Just looked in LMS for the individual songs (under view Tags) and the Genre is showing up there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by NoDad; 2020-07-26 at 14:57. Reason: Extra information

I downloaded mpstag and took a look at the files in question. It's puzzling. All of them show the correct genre in mp3tag (as well as in Foobar & Windows). Extended tags showed the genre as well.

In LMS it's different. Some albums show up under their the genre/s. Others don't. Seems the ones not showing up in LMS are collection albums with many various artists. See screen shot below. American Graffiti doesn't show up under Oldies in LMS, but Animals does show up under Rock.

I tested changing the genre of a Billboard top 1957 songs CD and now it's not showing up under the genre. Is there something special which needs to be done to "collection" type albums?

Just looked in LMS for the individual songs (under view Tags) and the Genre is showing up there.
    LMS reads the tags into its database so there must be something wrong with the way the tags are written if LMS is empty.
    When you do ôview Tagsö you are reading the file directly not the corresponding entry in the database.
    Post a couple of example files and we can take a look.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Post a couple of example files and we can take a look.
    Thanks for your help. Below are two screenshots for one of the songs. First the song info and below that the "View Tags" info.

Name:  Song-Info.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  51.9 KB
    Name:  View-Tags.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  35.6 KB

Thanks for your help. Below are two screenshots for one of the songs. First the song info and below that the "View Tags" info.

Name:  Song-Info.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  51.9 KB
    Name:  View-Tags.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  35.6 KB
    One strange thing is that the Album Gain in the first image is -3.46 but in the second it is -3.42 and is the same as the track gain. There is also no Compilation tag.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Last edited by slartibartfast; 2020-07-26 at 16:04.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    One strange thing is that the Album Gain in the first image is -3.46 but in the second it is -3.42 and is the same as the track gain. There is also no Compilation
    tag.
    Maybe the album gain is different than the track gain?

Looking at the album information it does say it's a compilation, see below.

Name:  Album-Info.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  14.5 KB.
    Last edited by NoDad; 2020-07-26 at 16:13. Reason: Clicked post too soon.