Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    When the artwork etc has fallen one track behind if I hit the next track icon then the currently playing track restarts but with the correct artwork and info.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    When the artwork etc has fallen one track behind if I hit the next track icon then the currently playing track restarts but with the correct artwork and info.

If I hit previous track then the previous track plays with correct artwork. In normal operation when music and artwork/info is in sync hitting previous track once restarts the current track and hitting next track plays the next track so this behaviour changes when the artwork/info falls behind.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    If I hit previous track then the previous track plays with correct artwork. In normal operation when music and artwork/info is in sync hitting previous track once restarts the current track and hitting next track plays the next track so this behaviour changes when the artwork/info falls behind.

Where is your local music stored? Is it possible that it's on a drive that spins down after a period of not being used? And could it be that some Spotify tracks are long enough for the drive to spin down?
    LMS 8 nightly; 3 Squeezelite players connected by powerline ethernet; 5 wireless players connected via Airplay Bridge; 1 SqueezeAmp player
    no high-end or esoteric audio gear
    1 Squeezebox Radio (upgraded UE Smart Radio) now mostly retired

Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
    Where is your local music stored? Is it possible that it's on a drive that spins down after a period of not being used? And could it be that some Spotify tracks are long enough for the drive to spin down?
    Local music is on a HDD plugged into the Pi. This isn't only an issue with Spotify tracks it just appears to happen a lot more frequently with them. Having said that the drive does spin down during the Spotify tracks so there could be something in that. I will try changing the timeout and see what happens.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. I changed the timeout to 5 minutes from 3 minutes and now the artwork etc changes correctly at the end of the track I was using for testing. It also explains why if the following track was also from Spotify then the artwork fell behind when the local tracks resumed. It does seem that this is exposing a bug in LMS which can also occur when only local music is played but much less frequently.

Track artwork out of sync

> I think you have hit the nail on the head. I changed the timeout to 5
    > minutes from 3 minutes and now the artwork etc changes correctly at the
    > end of the track I was using for testing. It also explains why if the
    > following track was also from Spotify then the artwork fell behind when
    > the local tracks resumed. It does seem that this is exposing a bug in
    > LMS which can also occur when only local music is played but much less
    > frequently.

You're saying that the issue could arise when LMS timed out loading a
    track or something?

That wouldn't explain the case I've seen where it was playing a track
    which wasn't even shown in the playlist. Have you ever seen this?

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > frequently.

track or something?

--

Michael
    I have never seen the situation you describe but I have seen the same issue of artwork falling behind when I left a random playlist of local tracks playing overnight when I wouldn't expect the drive to sleep.
    In the case of the Spotify tracks the drive wakes up and the next track plays but LMS doesn't fetch the artwork. It also does not seem to fall any further behind than one track even when other Spotify tracks are in the playlist.

> frequently.

track or something?

--

Michael
    It used to be that I sometimes found that what LMS indicated was Now Playing was wrong. I can't be sure about the details, but I think it was as slartibartfast has described it. It hasn't happened lately, and I think it stopped happening when I switched from a mechanical HDD to SSD.

I was thinking that LMS reads ahead and caches the current track as it plays, so that it may not access the disk where the library is stored for some time. And it's not accessing the disk while playing online tracks. My not-very-educated guess was that the library disk would spin down until LMS attempts to read the next track. At that point, there would be a delay while the disk spins up before LMS starts receiving any data, leading LMS to "think" that the play command has failed and it needs to play the next track instead. With absolutely no knowledge of the internal workings, that's as far as my imagination can go.

I do not think I have ever seen LMS play a track that does not appear in the playlist.
    LMS 8 nightly; 3 Squeezelite players connected by powerline ethernet; 5 wireless players connected via Airplay Bridge; 1 SqueezeAmp player
    no high-end or esoteric audio gear
    1 Squeezebox Radio (upgraded UE Smart Radio) now mostly retired

It used to be that I sometimes found that what LMS indicated was Now Playing was wrong. I can't be sure about the details, but I think it was as slartibartfast has described it. It hasn't happened lately, and I think it stopped happening when I switched from a mechanical HDD to SSD.

I was thinking that LMS reads ahead and caches the current track as it plays, so that it may not access the disk where the library is stored for some time. And it's not accessing the disk while playing online tracks. My not-very-educated guess was that the library disk would spin down until LMS attempts to read the next track. At that point, there would be a delay while the disk spins up before LMS starts receiving any data, leading LMS to "think" that the play command has failed and it needs to play the next track instead. With absolutely no knowledge of the internal workings, that's as far as my imagination can go.

I do not think I have ever seen LMS play a track that does not appear in the playlist.
    LMS always plays the correct track but displays the same artwork and info for two consecutive tracks causing the artwork to be a track behind the playback from that moment on.

> frequently.

track or something?

--

Michael
    From further experiments the artwork falls a track behind after the first Spotify track in a playlist which is long enough to allow the HDD to sleep. If another long Spotify track appears later in the playlist then the artwork does not fall further behind but remains a single track behind.