Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Track artwork out of sync

Has anyone ever figured out why artwork can sometimes become out of sync when playing a playlist? It doesn't happen very often but when it does it annoys me enough to make me stop the playlist and restart it to regain sync.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

When I say it doesn't happen very often it has happened twice in my current playlist.

Does nobody else see this? It isn't just the artwork but all of the track info shown on the now playing screen is for the previous track. I am sure I have seen this same issue mentioned on the forum before.

I see it sometimes when I play a long mp3 that is split up virtually using a .cue file
    When it happens, if I click Next track then it starts playing the track that was already playing but from the start and with the correct info shown.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Has anyone ever figured out why artwork can sometimes become out of sync when playing a playlist? It doesn't happen very often but when it does it annoys me enough to make me stop the playlist and restart it to regain sync.
    I've seen it, definitely. And although you may not notice if you aren't listening to something where it matters, when this happens to me it also destroys gapless playback.

I've fixed it in the past by skipping forward, which actually restarts the currently playing track.

It's happened off and on for years but it's rare and I've never seen it put anything useful in the log.

Quote Originally Posted by atrocity View Post
    I've seen it, definitely. And although you may not notice if you aren't listening to something where it matters, when this happens to me it also destroys gapless playback.

I've fixed it in the past by skipping forward, which actually restarts the currently playing track.

It's happened off and on for years but it's rare and I've never seen it put anything useful in the log.
    For me it seems to happen more with playlists generated by "Don't Stop The Music" but I have sometimes noticed unexpected gaps between tracks. I'll pay more attention next time it happens.

After it happened again tonight during a Random Mix playlist I am beginning to think it will happen with every similar playlist and the only reason I rarely see it is because I normally play albums. Any idea which logging I can turn on to investigate further?

I have done some more experimenting with playlists the most recent was leaving a random mix of albums playing overnight and sure enough by the morning the track information and artwork were one track before the playing track. I can only think that this is an issue that will always occur given enough time and the only reason it doesn't often happen when playing a single album is pure luck. Hopefully @mherger can have a look at this issue when he returns

If you characteristise the problem - it will be easier to find.
    How much is it out of sync ? Is art ahead of track or track ahead of art ?
    It's been a long time since I looked at that part of the code but IIRC - LMS has to estimate how much audio "time" is left in a buffer to delay before showing the artwork asspociated with data being sent to the player. This estimation was based on data rate - not sure if that delay was only for remote streams or it included playlists.
    Last edited by bpa; 2020-07-21 at 01:31.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    If you characteristise the problem - it will be easier to find.
    How much is it out of sync ? Is art ahead of track or track ahead of art ?
    It's been a long time since I looked at that part of the code but IIRC - LMS has to estimate how much audio "time" is left in a buffer to delay before showing the artwork asspociated with data being sent to the player. This estimation was based on data rate - not sure if that delay was only for remote streams or it included playlists.
    Interesting. I wonder if that could be tweaked for the situation where LMS is streaming to an Amazon Echo as audio sink. I cannot display the artwork of the currently-playing track because the large buffer in the Echo causes a big sync issue and I chose to display no metadata rather than badly-wrong metadata. Any idea if LMS could be tamed in its hunger to fill awaiting buffers?