Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

is my squeezebox receiver dead?

Hello-I can no longer see my SB receiver on my network or my SB controller. The LED behind the front reset button flashes red only briefly on power up, but than will not stay light. There is +9 volts coming from the power supply. There is +5 volts on the circuit board center power input pin to multiple ground locations on the circuit board. The rear optical transceiver lights up red with power on. Pressing or holding the front reset button does nothing. Factory reset from the controller does not find the receiver.

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rrtx View Post
    Hello-I can no longer see my SB receiver on my network or my SB controller. The LED behind the front reset button flashes red only briefly on power up, but than will not stay light. There is +9 volts coming from the power supply. There is +5 volts on the circuit board center power input pin to multiple ground locations on the circuit board. The rear optical transceiver lights up red with power on. Pressing or holding the front reset button does nothing. Factory reset from the controller does not find the receiver.

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Often PSU is the problem. Even though PSU shows voltage - it cannot deliver amps required.

Yes - power supply seems bad

Yesterday my squeezebox duet receiver just would not start. No red led light blinking, no nothing. Just dead.
    I disassembled the unit, but nothing seemed strange. Neither did anything smell. I read somewhere that someone suggested to remove the WiFi unit so I did that. Still nothing.
    I measured the 3v3, 5v and 1v2 voltages on the circuit board and these seemed all be i nice working order. I also noticed (as rrtx) that the rear optical transceiver had a small red light inside coming on when the power was applied.
    I obviously tried a lot of different combinations with the front button, but still nothing.

When I read the suggestion from bpa I thought, "well that must be really be long-shot, but hey, I'm running out of ideas".

Anyway I soldered a pinheader to the VIN/GND connector in the upper left corner of the PCB and supplied 9v and voila, the unit started to live (well at least blink red).
    Right now I'll have to re-mount the WiFi unit but things looks far better now than an hour ago.
    Thanks bpa !!

King regards
    Magnus
    Last edited by metscore; 2020-07-19 at 04:52.

Yep - works

I can confirm. The PSU died somehow (of age I presume) and with a generic PSU everything works nicely again !

Again, thanks bpa !
    Last edited by metscore; 2020-07-19 at 04:54.

that was it- new power supply required for a non responding SB receiver

as previously recommended by bpa and Magnus, a new power supply worked for me too, receiver can now connect and play

Just chiming in I've replaced all my reciever power supplies to the point where I ordered two supplies the last time. I think the connector itself will go eventually as it seems to get more sensitive every day.

Quote Originally Posted by metscore View Post
    I can confirm. The PSU died somehow (of age I presume) and with a generic PSU everything works nicely again !

Again, thanks bpa !
    Where did you find a new PSU?

One of these should do the job. I got one at Radio Shack, but I don't see it any more.

https://www.amazon.com/SoulBay-Unive...6643031&sr=8-4
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.4 Official on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.3 Official on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Test system - LMS 8.0 nightly on Win10Pro - Squeezeplay
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)