Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Manjaro update kills LMS

I just updated my manjaro and now, when I try to start LMS
    (i.e. slimserver.pl) I get an error:

The following CPAN modules were found but cannot work with Logitech Media Server:
    Image::Scale (loaded 0.08 but missing object file, need 0.08)

This is LMS version 8.0.0-1590992447 and (I just tried) 8.0.0-1594451286

(NOTE: I also edited the version in Parser.pm which removes a
    "Parser.pm and Expat.pm versions don't match" error -- not sure that
    was a good idea)

Anyone know a fix? I live in dread that one day LMS just won't work
    any more

Might help to know what version of perl is installed:
    Code:
    perl --version

Might help to know what version of perl is installed:
    yes it probably would, sorry:

Code:
    This is perl 5, version 32, subversion 0 (v5.32.0) built for x86_64-linux-thread-multi

Quote Originally Posted by albright View Post
    Code:
    This is perl 5, version 32, subversion 0 (v5.32.0) built for x86_64-linux-thread-multi
    There is no support for perl v5.32 in LMS at present.

Will Manjaro allow you to install perl v5.30 in place of perl v5.32 ?

It might be worth searching the forum to see if any other user has encountered and solved the issue.

Or you could try compiling your own CPAN modules from source, as suggested here:
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post931793

I see that you participated in that thread.

Will Manjaro allow you to install perl v5.30 in place of perl v5.32 ?
    yes, at least for now I can downgrade. Hopefully, LMS will enable support for
    5.32 when time permits ... Thanks for the help/advice

yes, at least for now I can downgrade. Hopefully, LMS will enable support for
    5.32 when time permits ... Thanks for the help/advice
    Iíve not tried in details, but you might be able to use perlbrew and get the Perl version you want. At the end, LMS just needs the slimserver.pl script to be launched. Thatís the way Iím testing multiple LMS versions on the same system.
    LMS 7.9 on Pi 3B+ & Odroid-C2 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, Riva 1 & 3

Iíve not tried in details, but you might be able to use perlbrew and get the Perl version you want. At the end, LMS just needs the slimserver.pl script to be launched. Thatís the way Iím testing multiple LMS versions on the same system.
    I don't know about perlbrew - can you say more about how it would work in this case?

I don't know about perlbrew - can you say more about how it would work in this case?
    You get it from there https://perlbrew.pl/. Select a version xx.y you want that is compatible with LMS. Download it following the instruction on the site

- set environment with : source ~/perl5/perlbrew/etc/bashrc
    - install it with : perlbrew install -j 4 --multi --thread --64int perl-5.xx.y
    - switch to it with : perlbrew switch perl-5.xx.y
    - verify with : perl -v

You can have as many Perls as you want. This is what I'm using to create my plugin binaries that are specific to a Perl version

From there, download a LMS tarball version in a directory you like, go there, untar it, and start LMS with:

perl slimserver.pl --cachedir <dir1>\cache --logdir <dir2>\logs --prefsdir <dir3>\prefs

dir1,2 and 3 can be the same and you must have rw right there. Don't start LMS as root user

You can even omit dir1,2,3 and it will creates them in the working directory. You can also make them point to your existing LMS installation with I think are (to be verified)

/var/log/squeezeboxserver
    /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache
    /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2020-07-17 at 15:59.
    LMS 7.9 on Pi 3B+ & Odroid-C2 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, Riva 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    You get it from there https://perlbrew.pl/. Select a version xx.y you want that is compatible with LMS. Download it following the instruction on the site
    Note that this only make sense if you manually run LMS as your own user from the terminal, and not with the supplied script /etc/init.d/logitechmediaserver (which runs is as user squeezeboxserver)

As stated on the HP:
    Quote Originally Posted by perlbrew.pl
    perlbrew is a tool to manage multiple perl installations in your $HOME directory.
    It's meant for interactive users, not for something run as a system service.
    imho, it would provide no benefit anyway if you use it to manage a single perl version (which can be easily installed into /opt/perl-5.30 instead)

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    You can also make them point to your existing LMS installation with I think are (to be verified)
    /var/log/squeezeboxserver
    /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache
    /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs
    Unless you are logged in as the system LMS user (and you shouldn't be, and normally cannot), not a good idea (file ownership etc.))
    Various SW: Web Interface | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | LMSlib2go | ...
    Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...