Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sifon
    • May 2020

SlimPi ePaper display and piCore?

Hi! I managed to install slimPi to display the playing track on the Waveshare ePaper display - https://github.com/txoof/slimpi_epd/...ster/README.md
    The instructions say it can work together with the squeezeplayer on the same device. Can it work together with piCore?

I tried installing user_install.sh via putty on the pCp device, that works, but doesn't make the display work.
    I also tried installing install.sh (which is enough for the standalone variant), but it finishes with reporting some errors. Also with no result.

Does anyone know how to put it together?

Many thanks!
  • Greg Erskine
    • Sep 2006

Unless the author says otherwise, most install scripts for Raspberry Pi's are written assuming you are using Raspberry Pi OS. There is little chance of these scripts working on piCore.

Comment

• sifon
      • May 2020

Originally posted by Greg Erskine
      Unless the author says otherwise, most install scripts for Raspberry Pi's are written assuming you are using Raspberry Pi OS. There is little chance of these scripts working on piCore.
      Thanks, it makes sense.

To be precise, author says it can work with Squeezelite - "Squeezelite, in combination with a HiFiBerry, allows the Pi to be usded as LMS display and client player"
      Would you know how to install only Squeezelite, would that work? I don't need the front end on the system, only the player.

Cheers!

Comment

• Greg Erskine
        • Sep 2006

Sorry, I have never had the need to load squeezelite on Raspberry Pi OS.

Comment

• paul-
          • Jan 2013

Looks like its mostly python, but some rather heavy dependancies. All of which would need to be installed. numpy is a big one, although I've compiled and installed that on a pizero before. There are a couple of binaries in that distro that may be problematic too.

You will need to read the install file, and then do everything in there the piCore way. I'm sure it would work, but I would not even attempt it without the hardware.
          piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
          Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Comment

• sifon
            • May 2020

Originally posted by paul-
            Looks like its mostly python, but some rather heavy dependancies. All of which would need to be installed. numpy is a big one, although I've compiled and installed that on a pizero before. There are a couple of binaries in that distro that may be problematic too.

You will need to read the install file, and then do everything in there the piCore way. I'm sure it would work, but I would not even attempt it without the hardware.
            Thanks Paul! This seems like something I'll not be able to manage, but I'm willing to try if you're willing to assist

When i start install.sh this is what i get:

tc@piCorePlayer:/tmp/slimpi$ sh install.sh
            sh: bad number
            adding user: slimpi
            install.sh: line 35: useradd: not found
            addinng slimpi to groups: spi, gpio
            install.sh: line 39: usermod: not found
            copying slimpi to /usr/bin/
            cp: can't create directory '/usr/bin/slimpi': Permission denied
            installing config file to /etc/slimpi.cfg...
            cp: can't create '/etc/slimpi.cfg': Permission denied
            cp: can't create '/etc/systemd/system/': Path does not exist
            install.sh: line 58: systemctl: not found

Please configure slimpi by editing /etc/slimpi.cfg
            HINT: $ sudo nano /etc/slimpi.cfg

The following MUST be updated for *your* system:
            * player_name = <player to be monitored>
            - available players can be found by running:
            /usr/bin//slimpi -s
            * display = <epd type>

Once configured, start slimpi with:
            $ sudo systemctl start slimpi-daemon

slimpi will now start when this system is booted.

tc@piCorePlayer:/tmp/slimpi$

---

Does this say anything? I tried giving privileges to directories /usr and /etc, but i'm getting the same results.
            I'm not sure if this is something simple or extra complicated (for my knowledge), so I'm trying to figure that out at least, before i give up. Any advice is welcome!

Cheers!

Comment

• sifon
              • May 2020

From my uneducated perspective, the problems seem to be:
              -script being unable to create directories and copy files (no privileges?)
              -systemctl command missing

this "sh: bad number" i don't get.

Do you happen to have a quick fix for these two things, so I can see where it gets me?

thanks!

Comment

• paul-
                • Jan 2013

You cannot run the script, you need to read it an perform the needed steps. Forget all of the user stuff, that is pointless, and pCP doesn't run systemd, so you will need to do all that with manual scripts.

There is nothing in install.sh that you need to do, but you need to look and see what it installs, so you can then see how to run the program and what dependencies there are.
                piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
                Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Comment

• sifon
                  • May 2020

Originally posted by paul-
                  You cannot run the script, you need to read it an perform the needed steps. Forget all of the user stuff, that is pointless, and pCP doesn't run systemd, so you will need to do all that with manual scripts.

There is nothing in install.sh that you need to do, but you need to look and see what it installs, so you can then see how to run the program and what dependencies there are.
                  Understood, I ran the script to collect the error messages only. Seemed like a good thing to start. Anyway, this seems to be beyond my 'expertise', I'll try to read more about it, to find out what is going on in this process. Thanks for your effort!

Cheers

Comment

Working...