Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by vco1 View Post
    With an episode that has been played partially. Even if for just a few seconds.

The episode has been stopped by long-pressing the pause knob on the Radio.

It works differently in the WebUI. In the WebUI (default webinterface) you don't get a play button overlay when the podcast has been played before and can only ' drilldown' on the icon to get to the menu with "Play from the last position" and "Play from the beginning". While for 'fresh' podcasts there's a play button on the podcast icon.

Not to blame you (not at all!) - I actually really like and value the "last position" option introduced in the latest version of the podcast plugin -, but it really seems this behaviour is caused by the latest changes to the podcast plugin. For example, commit 556b1bd (use 'url' instead of "play') makes me think this could be part of the cause.
    There was previously a « play from last position » but it was not working either. Now, not having a play icon at the highest level once you have started to play is the consequence of being able to start from last position. As soon as you have played a podcast till the end, the 2nd level menu will disappear.

As silly as it sounds, having a well working play from last position in podcast is very complicated. It’s very easy for my plugin (e.g.) but there is a technical context that makes it super difficult, without entering into code details.

I will redo tests today with the long press on pause that I did not do yet.
    LMS 8.1.x on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    There was previously a « play from last position » but it was not working either. Now, not having a play icon at the highest level once you have started to play is the consequence of being able to start from last position. As soon as you have played a podcast till the end, the 2nd level menu will disappear.

As silly as it sounds, having a well working play from last position in podcast is very complicated. It’s very easy for my plugin (e.g.) but there is a technical context that makes it super difficult, without entering into code details.

If long pressing pause is equivalent to pressing "Stop" in Material skin I suspect it will work. It seems odd that the poster can play the podcasts from "Recently Played" but not from the main menu.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I don't think the long press on pause is the issue. It's the fact that the Radio should show a menu when resuming a podcast episode. That doesn't happen. Don't know if that's even possible.

And it doesn't sound silly at all. I'm convinced this is not an easy task. Especially not when there are still a few different (user) interfaces to take into account.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

I don't think the long press on pause is the issue. It's the fact that the Radio should show a menu when resuming a podcast episode. That doesn't happen. Don't know if that's even possible.

And it doesn't sound silly at all. I'm convinced this is not an easy task. Especially not when there are still a few different (user) interfaces to take into account.

Let me know if I can help in any way.
    Could you again describe very very precisely the steps you take to make things fail, don’t forget any detail especially around do you play just one track, are they in a list, is this the first one... any detail matters as we seem to struggle to replicate the issue
    LMS 8.1.x on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

It's the fact that the Radio should show a menu when resuming a podcast episode.
    my radio does. If I select a podcast that has been started, it options play from last position or beginning. If I select beginning it does. If I select play from last position, sometimes (maybe 50/50) it fails**, but still plays form the beginning if it doesn't resume. This is an inconvenience that I just live with. If I go back to recently played, the behavior is the same.

Again, op, can you clear your playlist and see what happens? Not a solution, but it might provide a lead.

Jim

**this is what I see when last position fails - it appears to start the podcast from the beginning, then interrupt to try to ffwd to last position, sometimes it works, sometimes not

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    my radio does. If I select a podcast that has been started, it options play from last position or beginning. If I select beginning it does. If I select play from last position, sometimes (maybe 50/50) it fails**, but still plays form the beginning if it doesn't resume. This is an inconvenience that I just live with. If I go back to recently played, the behavior is the same.

Again, op, can you clear your playlist and see what happens? Not a solution, but it might provide a lead.

Jim

**this is what I see when last position fails - it appears to start the podcast from the beginning, then interrupt to try to ffwd to last position, sometimes it works, sometimes not
    Is it random or is it the same podcast episode that sometimes resumes sometimes not?

Is it random or is it the same podcast episode that sometimes resumes sometimes not?
    If I understand your question right, it's all podcasts. Reliable (thank you) has fixed issues with podcasts suddenly halting, but, I have this problem with pausing and resuming. Unfortunately, I listen to podcasts in different locations with radios, receivers, touch, and I use different UI, controller, material, and squeezecntrl, whatever is handy. I have been trying to track down a pattern, but just living with it.

What really helps is that "last position" has a timestamp (even if it doesn't go there). I also have been getting in the habit of noting the time before a pause. So, if it fails to resume, I just ffwd.

I have seen this with just pause and resume (no change to playlist) as well as play a podcast/something else/return to podcast through the "play from last position". As an example, of just play/pause I'll pause a podcast when I leave the room, come back, press pause or play, something is resumes, sometimes not. If it doesn't it always plays from the beginning. If it doesn't, I can go back out and the timestamped "last position" is still there. Sometimes that works, but if it doesn't, I noted the time stamp and ffwd to that spot.

Like I said, it seems like it tries to resume, but fails, and defaults to the beginning. On the controller screen I can see it load...reload, and either the progress bar/time is where I left off or at 0.

But, I don't have the OP's problem and mine is very livable. Don't go down a rabbit hole based on my experience unless I do some more testing and give you a way to recreate what I see.

<edit - I just tested my previously played podcasts using a controller, on a receiver. I tested probably 10 previous played, resume from previous position - every one resumed fine. Maybe my observation was only play/pause. I tried that on several episodes that I resumed from previous position, and it played fine. Dim memories are hinting to me that maybe it was pause for a long time (controller or touch goes to sleep) that resume sometimes failed, I'll test that.

Jim
    Last edited by Redrum; 2021-01-13 at 10:29. Reason: update

If I understand your question right, it's all podcasts. Reliable (thank you) has fixed issues with podcasts suddenly halting, but, I have this problem with pausing and resuming. Unfortunately, I listen to podcasts in different locations with radios, receivers, touch, and I use different UI, controller, material, and squeezecntrl, whatever is handy. I have been trying to track down a pattern, but just living with it.

What really helps is that "last position" has a timestamp (even if it doesn't go there). I also have been getting in the habit of noting the time before a pause. So, if it fails to resume, I just ffwd.

Jim
    How long do you keep player in "pause"? I think there is something there that no matter what, and for understandable reasons, the HTTP connection will drop after a while (even with Reliable). I don't think (I'd have to look at the code) that LMS, upon resumes, does a seek to the current position. It just continues asking for the remaining of the stream.

How long do you keep player in "pause"? I think there is something there that no matter what, and for understandable reasons, the HTTP connection will drop after a while (even with Reliable). I don't think (I'd have to look at the code) that LMS, upon resumes, does a seek to the current position. It just continues asking for the remaining of the stream.
    I edited my previous post regarding this.

I do believe you are right with regard to what's happening. I think my issues have been with pause/time elapses/resume of a podcast currently in the playlist. If the time is a few minutes - fine, longer, say 1/2 hour+ maybe not. From memory, I got in the habit of noting the time before pause, and if resume failed, I would either ffwd to my remembered timestamp, or, go back to recently played, choose it again, then resume from last to recover.

The HTTP dropping after some time makes sense, but, the recently played-resume from last position works regardless of time. I went into my recents from weeks ago and resumed just fine.

Maybe if there was a "save spot" option instead of pause/resume it would help my use case? Say like '+' -> menu-> save spot or resume from saved spot.

But like I said, I am trained how to recover and it's not an issue, just trying to "what if" to help the op.

Jim

I edited my previous post regarding this.

I do believe you are right with regard to what's happening. I think my issues have been with pause/time elapses/resume of a podcast currently in the playlist. If the time is a few minutes - fine, longer, say 1/2 hour+ maybe not. From memory, I got in the habit of noting the time before pause, and if resume failed, I would either ffwd to my remembered timestamp, or, go back to recently played, choose it again, then resume from last to recover.

The HTTP dropping after some time makes sense, but, the recently played-resume from last position works regardless of time. I went into my recents from weeks ago and resumed just fine.

Maybe if there was a "save spot" option instead of pause/resume it would help my use case? Say like '+' -> menu-> save spot or resume from saved spot.

But like I said, I am trained how to recover and it's not an issue, just trying to "what if" to help the op.

Jim
    The play-resume from last position should always work because it's using a real "seek" mechanism. I'm afraid there is not much to do for very long pauses, but I'll see