Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Odd display of artist and album names

I'm seeing something odd in the main LMS window.

My setup:

Logitech Media Server Version: 8.0.0 - 1594371635 @ Fri Jul 10 11:18:48 CEST 2020
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
    Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.20.2 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
    Audio::Scan: 0.95
    IO::Socket::SSL: 2.002
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.58 (sqlite 3.22.0)

Newly cleared and scanned library

In Settings:Interface, I have Items Per Page set to 10, to give me one page of information per initial letter, more-or-less. But instead of putting all the "A" albums on one page, LMS has incorrectly treated the last few of them as though they begin with accented A's -- you can see this in the row of initial letters at the top of the page. And so it has placed those last few "A" albums on a second page, after all the other "A" albums:

Name:  accented-albums.png
Views: 408
Size:  55.8 KB

LMS does the same thing to artist names:

Name:  accented-artists-1.png
Views: 398
Size:  13.3 KB
    Name:  accented-artists-2.png
Views: 396
Size:  12.9 KB
    Name:  accented-artists-3.png
Views: 400
Size:  13.1 KB

I have confirmed that there are no accented characters in those artist and album names, by direct examination of the tags in Foobar 2000 and also by setting all the scanner logging levels to Debug and examining the 500MB+ log.

Any ideas why this is happening? Is this a known issue?
    Touch --> Benchmark DAC3 HGC --> Counterpoint NPS200 MkII + NPS400 --> Meadowlark Heron
    Touch --> Schiit Bifrost 2 --> Eddie Current Aficionado --> HD800 SDR, ZMF Verite Ziricote
    and a third Touch for remote control, and a Radio, and a couple SB3s and a Transporter somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
    I'm seeing something odd in the main LMS window.

My setup:

Logitech Media Server Version: 8.0.0 - 1594371635 @ Fri Jul 10 11:18:48 CEST 2020
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
    Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.20.2 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
    Audio::Scan: 0.95
    IO::Socket::SSL: 2.002
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.58 (sqlite 3.22.0)

Newly cleared and scanned library

In Settings:Interface, I have Items Per Page set to 10, to give me one page of information per initial letter, more-or-less. But instead of putting all the "A" albums on one page, LMS has incorrectly treated the last few of them as though they begin with accented A's -- you can see this in the row of initial letters at the top of the page. And so it has placed those last few "A" albums on a second page, after all the other "A" albums:

Name:  accented-albums.png
Views: 408
Size:  55.8 KB

LMS does the same thing to artist names:

I have confirmed that there are no accented characters in those artist and album names, by direct examination of the tags in Foobar 2000 and also by setting all the scanner logging levels to Debug and examining the 500MB+ log.

I have the same on my production box but not on my piCorePlayer/LMS development box.
    The difference is the version of Audio::Scan in use.
    If you were to switch to Material skin you will probably find that the issue goes away as Craig uses a slightly different method of displaying the A-Z placeholders.
    Both images below are from my Production box

Name:  2020-07-14 10_51_41-Window.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  10.9 KB

Name:  2020-07-14 10_51_57-Rising Rays of the Sun  Noah Howard __ Logitech Media Server.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  29.5 KB
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

I assume that clicking on "", "", and "" won't open artists that start with these characters (as the pictures indicate). However, you will find artists that start with these characters when clicking on the - I always call them pockets but that's wrong - character bundle before that, right? In other words, you will find the "" artist under "A", the "" artist under "E" and the "" artist under "O".

If LMS scans an "" artist it will create a quick jump thing "". But it won't put the artist in there. Instead, it will put the artist in "A" and move it all up. That's why you find a non "" artist when clicking "". I mentioned this before and yes, I think it's a bug.
    QLMS 8.0.0@2.21 x64 (digimaster) with perl 5.30.1 / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

Quote Originally Posted by dolodobendan View Post
    I assume that clicking on "", "", and "" won't open artists that start with these characters (as the pictures indicate). However, you will find artists that start with these characters when clicking on the - I always call them pockets but that's wrong - character bundle before that, right? In other words, you will find the "" artist under "A", the "" artist under "E" and the "" artist under "O".
    If I understand you correctly, you are asking whether the artist in the accented-vowel bucket is also found in the correct bucket? If so, the answer is no. If I have, say, 100 "A" artists, LMS will put the first 99 in the "A" bucket and the last one only in the "" bucket. And similarly with the "E" and "O" artists: All but one are in the correct bucket, and that last one is only in the erroneous accented-vowel bucket.

With the album list, LMS created three different erroneous accented-vowel buckets and put four "A" albums in them. But again, those albums are only found in the accented-vowel buckets, not also in the correct "A" bucket.

Also, I did not explicitly say this earlier, but I should have: The item in the accented-vowel bucket is not arbitrarily chosen. It is always the item that would have sorted alphabetically last in the correct bucket.
    Last edited by fastfwd; 2020-07-14 at 08:21.
    Touch --> Benchmark DAC3 HGC --> Counterpoint NPS200 MkII + NPS400 --> Meadowlark Heron
    Touch --> Schiit Bifrost 2 --> Eddie Current Aficionado --> HD800 SDR, ZMF Verite Ziricote
    and a third Touch for remote control, and a Radio, and a couple SB3s and a Transporter somewhere

If I understand you correctly, you are asking whether the artist in the accented-vowel bucket is also found in the correct bucket? If so, the answer is no. If I have, say, 100 "A" artists, LMS will put the first 99 in the "A" bucket and the last one only in the "" bucket. And similarly with the "E" and "O" artists: All but one are in the correct bucket, and that last one is only in the erroneous accented-vowel bucket.
    No, that's not what I meant.

Example:

Artist: A1, A2, A3 -> Jump list entries: A

A bucket: A1, A2, A3

But:

Artist A1, A2, 1 -> Jump list entries: A,

A bucket: A1, 1
    bucket: A2

Because LMS created two A slots (A1 and A2) and one slot (1). For whatever reason, LMS fills the A slots with A1 and 1 and the slot with A2. Thus clicking will show A2 and not 2 (if had its own bucket).

But that's just me interpreting what's happening. I could be wrong. On the other hand, that's what you see in your screenshots.

With the album list, LMS created three different erroneous accented-vowel buckets and put four "A" albums in them. But again, those albums are only found in the accented-vowel buckets, not also in the correct "A" bucket.
    Yes, because of what I wrote above. For each "" album, one "A" album is pushed out of the "A" bucket (and into the "" bucket, because that's what's next).

Also, I did not explicitly say this earlier, but I should have: The item in the accented-vowel bucket is not arbitrarily chosen. It is always the item that would have sorted alphabetically last in the correct bucket.
    Yes, because it's squeezed out of the correct bucket.

And yes, I don't think that should happen.

Quote Originally Posted by dolodobendan View Post
    No, that's not what I meant.

Example:

Artist: A1, A2, A3 -> Jump list entries: A

A bucket: A1, A2, A3

But:

Artist A1, A2, 1 -> Jump list entries: A,

A bucket: A1, 1
    bucket: A2

Because LMS created two A slots (A1 and A2) and one slot (1). For whatever reason, LMS fills the A slots with A1 and 1 and the slot with A2. Thus clicking will show A2 and not 2 (if had its own bucket).

But that's just me interpreting what's happening. I could be wrong. On the other hand, that's what you see in your screenshots.

Yes, because of what I wrote above. For each "" album, one "A" album is pushed out of the "A" bucket (and into the "" bucket, because that's what's next).

Yes, because it's squeezed out of the correct bucket.

And yes, I don't think that should happen.
    As I said above its a bug in the version of Audio::Scan that you have installed and I dont think you can upgrade that Perl component alone.

If you use Material it collects the buckets differently and you wont see it. Likewise the problem isnt visible to iPeng.

Alternatively if you were to install LMS on a Pi with piCorePlayer you will find it ships with a later version of Audio::Scan and the error does not exist.
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    As I said above it’s a bug in the version of Audio::Scan that you have installed and I don’t think you can upgrade that Perl component alone.

If you use Material it collects the buckets differently and you won’t see it. Likewise the problem isn’t visible to iPeng.
    Great, I left my phone in the car and it's raining. Oh well. But yes, I don't think iPeng had this problem.

Alternatively if you were to install LMS on a Pi with piCorePlayer you will find it ships with a later version of Audio::Scan and the error does not exist.
    What's this later version? I have 1.02.

1.02 is the later version
    The OP has 0.95
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

1.02 is the later version
    The OP has 0.95
    I have 1.02 and also see this behavior:

Name:  LMS_buckets.png
Views: 102
Size:  8.0 KB