Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Offline Music from USB

Hello!

I've searched the last 2 weeks for Audio Players for my Raspberry Pi, but yet haven't found one that fits my purpose.
    In theory its really simple:
    My hardware includes a Pi (2 or 3) and a cheap amplifier plus speakers, there is no need for a good hifi experience.
    I just want an offline player, that starts very quickly (because no special modules/services) and auto play all audio data on the USB stick I insert, without any command.
    Its headless and the only control is a powerbutton on the cable. I choose PiCorePlayer because you can just power off without caring about a shutdown.

The installation was fast and simple, I had to connect my LAN cable to it as WiFi doesn't work out of the box and looked for the settings.
    I disabled the splash screen and set an USB mount point to try, but unfortunately nothing happens.

So I have to ask first, is it possible to achieve my mentioned goal or does PiCorePlayer only work when you are online?
    Or is there another minimalistic program for RPi that does the things I need better?

Thanks in advance!

pCP requires a music server application to drive it.
    You could install LMS from the pCP menu to be that server - but it does not auto-play a USB stick on insertion (or even index it).

So pCP/LMS is probably not what you need if that is all that you want to achieve.

However, there you could do some tricks with scripting that you could do and simply use pCP as the launchpad for a fast booting and tolerant OS.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Something along these lines ?

https://www.instructables.com/id/Ras...usic-Player-1/

piCoreplayer can be set up as a wireless hotspot and Volumio also. There must be others out there as well, maybe omxplayer on raspberry PI OS ( a bit of config work needed )

ronnie

Thank you for replying.
    I never have done scripting before and don't know tutorials for this task either, also I don't want different playlists with various switches, only autoplay USB.
    So I have to look further.
    My next steps would be trying with Archlinuxarm and then pygame, hopefully there is a relatively simple solution.

Well it is possible with piCoreplayer and LMS on the same pi

I have an original (very slow) rpi 1B running LMS v7.9.3 and pCP v6.1.0. Output is via a Cirrus Logic Audio Card.

I loaded up a usb stick with few albums and installed it onto the pi

Name:  pcp load usb stick.png
Views: 77
Size:  115.1 KB

Scanned it into LMS as a PLAYLIST

Name:  mount stick for scan.png
Views: 77
Size:  94.9 KB

Set the Autostart on the Tweaks page

Name:  autostart playlist.png
Views: 76
Size:  85.0 KB

Rebooted

SNAGS:

The stick needs to be already mounted in the pi before powering on the pi

Because it is running LMS, the correct command has to be issued to shut down the pi (this is possible from a smart phone, just one line in an App))

Changing the stick for another requires a little editing on the pCP LMS page and a rescan

Random play has to be enabled after start (use Material Skin for this) but persists after further restarts (only limited testing done).

atb

ronnie