Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

piCorePlayer - Screen Brightness

Hi All,

Just built a new player that I'm planning to use for my Bathroom. I'm using this Waveshare screen with a Hifiberry AMP2 that I think I can cram in a standard UK double gang back box.

So far the build has been pretty much plug and play which cannot be said for a lot of other screens, I know I've been there. Screen is nice and responsive.

Is there a way to map the "Display Backlight Brightness" options within piCorePlayer settings menu to control the screen's physical brightness. On the wiki page (towards the bottom) there is mention of mod to drive the display brightness via PWM on a gpio pin.

TIA

piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Hi garym999,

Can you please confirm that the "Waveshare 4.3inch DSI LCD" fully works on pCP with NO extra setup?

Does touch work with NO extra setup?

Is it fully compatible with the "RPi Official 7" screen" (except for size)?

regards
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    Hi garym999,

Can you please confirm that the "Waveshare 4.3inch DSI LCD" fully works on pCP with NO extra setup?

Does touch work with NO extra setup?

Is it fully compatible with the "RPi Official 7" screen" (except for size)?

regards
    Greg
    Hi Greg

Yes, I’m not sure about compatibility but the only screen related thing I had to do was spin the screen 180 in Jivelite to support the touchscreen. It worked out of the box. It is now got me thinking of other projects as it leaves all the IO pins free. At the opposite end is the Hyperpixel 4, nice screen but leaves no IO.

Paul
    Thanks for the heads up. I’ve been there already as I have a PA screen for a portable speaker I’m working on but did not pick up on them PWM. Looks like post 86 is where I need to pick it up
    Last edited by garym999; 2020-07-04 at 04:55.

Quote Originally Posted by garym999 View Post
    Hi Greg
    Paul
    Thanks for the heads up. I’ve been there already as I have a PA screen for a portable speaker I’m working on but did not pick up on them PWM. Looks like page 86 is where I need to pick it up
    haha somewhere in there, but it describes what is needed to allow jivelite to hook into it, then you can use the pCP applet to allow jivelite to control screen.

Quote Originally Posted by garym999 View Post
    Hi Greg

Yes, I’m not sure about compatibility but the only screen related thing I had to do was spin the screen 180 in Jivelite to support the touchscreen. It worked out of the box. It is now got me thinking of other projects as it leaves all the IO pins free. At the opposite end is the Hyperpixel 4, nice screen but leaves no IO.
    Thanks garym999,

When you say "the only screen related thing I had to do was spin the screen 180 in Jivelite to support the touchscreen" do you mean the pCP > [Tweaks] > Jiveite Setup > [Screen Rotation] or is there an option somewhere on Jivelite touch screen.

regards
    Greg

Yes Greg that was all that I had to do, Set the screen rotation to 0. The screen says it’s an IPS panel with a capacitive touchscreen. Looks good and nice and responsive to my flippers. It is supplied with fixing studs on the back with screws to mount the rPi and then use the small ribbon cable to link to the DSI port and job done, no sticky outy HDMI or USB cables.

Name:  IMG_6523.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  109.9 KBName:  IMG_6522.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  84.8 KBName:  IMG_6524.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  120.0 KB
    Last edited by garym999; 2020-07-04 at 07:11.

Thanks Paul, a little progress. So removed the resistor and added a wire link (as per WaveShare doc) to pin 33 (GPIO 13) of the Pi.

Then installed the pigpio-dev.tcz followed by pigpio.tcz via the main page/extensions. Logged in via ssh to the command line. sudo pigiod and now I have control of the brightness via the command line... pigs PWM 13 255. Control seems really good so would suit people who want a bedside unit.

Now the next step is to get the control via Jivelite?
    Last edited by garym999; 2020-07-04 at 07:38.

Closer, edited /opt/bootlocal.sh to apply pigpio at boot up as per this page

Code:
    #!/bin/sh 
    # start pigpiod daemon
    pigpiod -t 0 -f -l -s 10

# wait for pigpiod to initialize - indicated by 'pigs t' exit code of zero

count=10 # approx time limit in seconds
    while ! pigs t >/dev/null 2>&1 ; do
        if [ $((count--)) -le 0 ]; then
            printf "\npigpiod failed to initialize within time limit\n"
            exit 1 
        fi
    #    printf "\nWaiting for pigpiod to initialize\n"
        sleep 1
    done
    printf "\npigpiod is running\n"
    And then added Ralphy's lcd-brightness.sh file as per these instructions. I further edited the file to change the rmax=255 so that it matches the dimming range of the display and then tested it at the command line and it works.

What I can't workout from here is how it gets called in JiveLite?

Its in the piCorePlayer applet.