Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 88 1231151 ... LastLast

Announce: YouTube Plugin

I've just released a plugin to play the audio from YouTube videos through Squeezeboxs. Please try and let me know your feedback. It should work on 7.5 and 7.6 servers. It should be available in the 3rd Party Plugin list on your squeezebox server. It will prefer an up to date version of 7.5 or 7.6.

WARNING: please note the plugin streams the entire YouTube video even though you are only listening to the audio. This means that it will consume significantly more internet bandwidth than other streaming plugins. If you have a usage limited internet connection, then be aware that using this plugin is the equivalent of streaming videos not audio.

Features:
    - Browse YouTube top lists of most popular videos tagged with 'music'
    - Search all YouTube videos or videos tagged with 'music'
    - Playback of specific YouTube URL (of the form: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4H_Zoh7G5A)
    - Playback will search for a video resolution which can be played, there is a setting on the web settings page to set if you prefer to select lower resolution videos to reduce bandwidth. By default it will try to play the higher quality audio streams.

Please report bugs and feature requests here, please include the specific server version used as the plugin uses some tricks to support 7.5 as well as 7.6 server and these may be the cause of bugs.

Thanks to Pipin for the suggestion..

Thanks. It works nice. Congratulation btw!

PS: Maybe future versions could play back video through the web interface.

Edit: Also, sometimes you are able to find mixes (I am not into youtube lingo, so this might not be the correct term). Anyway, it would be nice to be able to playback a mix such as this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/artist?a=GxdC...yOcqr9bYeC0EkQ
    Last edited by Pank; 2011-05-15 at 15:52.

Thanks for this plugin, great idea.

Sometimes the audio plays back too quickly. Sample rate issues perhaps? Did you see this before?

I'm running a Touch, SBS 7.5.4 on Windows Server 2008 Standard.

Any suggestions appreciated.

One video in particular will not play at the correct speed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thVZJ9TlPGs
    Last edited by badboygolf16v; 2011-05-16 at 13:12.

Thanks. Great plugin!

Two suggestions:
    - Playlist support (like http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PL7EFC7963DB9280CA or like the already mentioned http://www.youtube.com/artist?a=GxdC...yOcqr9bYeC0EkQ)
    - Improved guessing of artist / trackname (eg. remove parts in brackets from the name)

i've installed plusing on nas qnap ts 119 and it doesn't work. it appears icon of the video but no sound....sigh

Quote Originally Posted by nervoteso View Post
    i've installed plusing on nas qnap ts 119 and it doesn't work. it appears icon of the video but no sound....sigh
    There's two possible reasons for this:
    1) the NAS does not have enough CPU power
    2) the NAS does not use the logitech patched version of faad for transcoding aac streams (if this is the case then non aac based internet radio will work?)

Have you tried setting the bitrate setting to prefer lower bitrate streams? This should help on both fronts as the lower resoltion streams are lower bitrate (less work for the NAS) and also use mp3 audio so do not need transcoding on the server.

Quote Originally Posted by Triode View Post
    There's two possible reasons for this:
    1) the NAS does not have enough CPU power
    2) the NAS does not use the logitech patched version of faad for transcoding aac streams (if this is the case then non aac based internet radio will work?)

Have you tried setting the bitrate setting to prefer lower bitrate streams? This should help on both fronts as the lower resoltion streams are lower bitrate (less work for the NAS) and also use mp3 audio so do not need transcoding on the server.
    yes i did, lower resolution but it doesn't work. the cpu is good, it's atom 1.6 ghz.
    laso this is my setting

Formato file Decodificatore
    AAC AAC native
    FLAC faad/flac
    MP3 faad/lame
    PCM faad

QNap doesn't have an Atom, it's a Marvell-Chip with an Arm-Core (ARM 5, I believe). The problem with therese NAS chips usually is that they don't have a floating-point processor.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Great plugin! I especially found the 'On Youtube' option nice in the song details page on the web interface and the iPeng song options page. But why not make it possible to also play the listed youtube videos in the browser or in the iPhone/iTouch youtube app? I managed to play them in Firefox by getting to their youtube page with the aid of a little URL-processing add-on, since the shortened 'youtube://' links you give aren't understood out of the box by firefox.

Announce: version 0.8

Version 0.8 now available from the plugin page. This version supports:
    - should play to the end of each video rather than cutting off the last few seconds (note streams may not meet the duration as this seems inacurate in some cases)
    - additional search by playlist or channel
    - link from the web interface to play the youtube video (on track info screen)

Please post feedback in this thread.