Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

EXPERIMENTAL: "reliable" plugin for HTTP(S) streaming

Well... you should probably not believe the title too much

This is an attempt to make HTTP/HTTPS streaming more reliable as some of us seem to experiment issues, for example with podcasts.

This plugin has many hacks and does dangerous things to LMS, be warned

In the background, it replaces the HTTP and HTTPS classes by a new one that has the possibility to re-open an HTTP connection when it fails. As said, it is *very* experimental. Once you enabled it in the settings, *all* HTTP and HTTPS streams will go through it and will be proxied. Of course, you can disable it in the settings

It's very (very) lightly tested at that moment, so don't throw arrows if it does not work but I'd like to get early feedback from whoever is having these issues to know if it helps or not.

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/pro...ev/repo-sf.xml
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2020-07-02 at 23:16.
    LMS 7.9 on Pi 3B+ & Odroid-C2 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, Riva 1 & 3

Where can we find it?
    Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
    (LMS: Settings/Information)

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    Where can we find it?
    Oops ... this is so funny

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/pro...ev/repo-sf.xml
    LMS 7.9 on Pi 3B+ & Odroid-C2 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, Riva 1 & 3

Sorry guys but there is some crap issue between Windows & Linux at the moment, and my working Windows version gives me a lot of s... on Linux. Stupid dos2unix and other things, but it's late and in addition the SF site has decided to be non-responsive, so too much is too much. I'll fix that tomorrow. Meanwhile, if you make it work, pleased don't forget to force your player in proxy mode for now.
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2020-07-03 at 01:34.

Fixed now

I've done many tweaks and it seems to be acceptable now for the adventurous. I've verified a couple of times with very long podcasts (1 hour) that when normal streaming process fails it is able to resume seamlessly
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2020-07-04 at 00:19.

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    I've done many tweaks and it seems to be acceptable now for the adventurous. I've verified a couple of timed with very long podcast (1 hour) when normal streaming process failed that it was able to resume it seamlessly
    Thank you so much for tackling this issue!!

Podcast Problems are the ONE last thing, which made my LMS experience a little annoying at times.

I am using the plugin now. (All Players set to proxied streaming, enabled in the settings)
    Let me know what kind of feedback you need.

.... I just noticed one issue:
    When I pause a Podcast and restart it, I don't get audio anymore, just some hissing. Unfortunaltey, that does not happen consistently but only sometimes....

Quote Originally Posted by slimhase View Post
    Thank you so much for tackling this issue!!

Podcast Problems are the ONE last thing, which made my LMS experience a little annoying at times.

I am using the plugin now. (All Players set to proxied streaming, enabled in the settings)
    Let me know what kind of feedback you need.

.... I just noticed one issue:
    When I pause a Podcast and restart it, I don't get audio anymore, just some hissing. Unfortunaltey, that does not happen consistently but only sometimes....
    Thatĺs a good point, I tested mainly seeking. What Iĺm really looking for is feedback of frequent podcast listener who experience often failed playback: does this plugin improve substantially the robustness of playback?

I plan to try it out over the weekend.
    There is a podcast that I listen to that is around 45 minutes long and I stopped using LMS to listen to it because it fails at around 20 minutes I think.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Just tried this with one of the Sorcerer's Orphan podcasts that always suffered from this issue. The RSS feed disappeared for a long time but now seems to be back. I am pleased to say It played from start to finish. I played it again to try pausing and seeking and didn't see any issues there either. Sound resumed after both pausing and seeking for me although from a brief test I can't say it will never happen.
    Great work

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk