Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Senior Member agbagb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I have a Libratone Zipp that I use in the garden as a portable player with Phillipeĺs AirPlay bridge plugin. I control with my smartphone. Sound quality is very good and given that the Zipp is also a Bluetooth speaker it can be used in conjunction with a smartphone when there is no WiFi available.

    Given the background noise that you get anywhere outdoors I wouldnĺt bother trying to create a Stereo Pair.

    Are you talking about outdoor use or are you really looking for something that you can travel with and setup at your destination?

    Outdoors I tend to use either a headset or a Radio - and that works well enough (don't want the neighbor setting his hunting dogs on me....).

    This desire for wire-free, LMS stereo isn't intended for travelling, but in a large house. I have a great, existing quality set-up in one main room. Elsewhere in the house - kitchen, bedrooms, workshop, office, dining room, terrace etc - is where at present I rely on assorted Radios, or phone pushed to small active speakers. So, I'd like to up the level of ease and audio quality in 2, and maybe 3, of those other areas (which all have good wifi and ethernet). And I'd like to do that by easily moving a good quality system from place to place (just at the moment, with retirement and some degree of virus-lockdown, we're spending a lot of productive time at home!). If I could carry 2 wire-free speakers around from time to time, drive them from my phone link to the LMS sitting on the PC, then I'd be happy. I won't need to do this all the time - for 30 minutes in the workshop, an existing Radio will do. But for a longer stay there, I'd like my "ideal".

    Those Riva Arenas look like they might fit the bill. The Zipps maybe also - though I wonder how well they would handle, say, opera? Most of my listening is classical (FLAC albums or radio streams), with some spoken word (plays books, most BBC).
    LMS 7.9.3 (1596893334)
    Win10
    Control: Web GUI; sometimes OrangeSqueeze on Android phones / pads

    Machines / devices are in France, in two locations.
    a) Sagem Livebox
    Internal HDD (FLAC music; mp3 voice), Desktop
    3 x Touch - 2 wireless, 1 LAN. (7.8.0-r16754)
    3 x SB Radios [2 wireless, 1 LAN] (7.7.3-r16676)

    b) Freebox
    External SSD (all mp3), WiFi Laptop
    1 x Touch LAN (Firmware:7.8.0-r16754)
    1 x SB Radio, Wireless (7.7.3-r16676)
    1 x Pair Riva Arenas (via Airplay LMS PlugIn)

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    UK, Lincolnshire
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by agbagb View Post
    Outdoors I tend to use either a headset or a Radio - and that works well enough (don't want the neighbor setting his hunting dogs on me....).

    This desire for wire-free, LMS stereo isn't intended for travelling, but in a large house. I have a great, existing quality set-up in one main room. Elsewhere in the house - kitchen, bedrooms, workshop, office, dining room, terrace etc - is where at present I rely on assorted Radios, or phone pushed to small active speakers. So, I'd like to up the level of ease and audio quality in 2, and maybe 3, of those other areas (which all have good wifi and ethernet). And I'd like to do that by easily moving a good quality system from place to place (just at the moment, with retirement and some degree of virus-lockdown, we're spending a lot of productive time at home!). If I could carry 2 wire-free speakers around from time to time, drive them from my phone link to the LMS sitting on the PC, then I'd be happy. I won't need to do this all the time - for 30 minutes in the workshop, an existing Radio will do. But for a longer stay there, I'd like my "ideal".

    Those Riva Arenas look like they might fit the bill. The Zipps maybe also - though I wonder how well they would handle, say, opera? Most of my listening is classical (FLAC albums or radio streams), with some spoken word (plays books, most BBC).
    How about two SQ Radios in stereo mode?
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 3x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.0.0 with Material Skin

  3. #13
    Senior Member agbagb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    438
    Thought I'd just come back to this with a) where I am, and b) where I might go.....

    I didn't really know about, eg, the AirPlay PlugIn that turns smart active speakers into LMS players. Very cool. I got the chance to pick up two Riva Arena smart, wi-fi speakers at a knock down price; though the ones I got don't have the optional battery pack, that's the fully portable route.

    Set up was very easy (though the best option for genuine stereo is a bit up in the air, with there being 2 or 3 different possible approaches). The problem, for me, is what I consider to be a poor audio quality from the Riva - a very "boxy" sound, lacking transparency and precision. Very surprised. OK, they are more designed for pop and rock than (my preferred) classical, vocal or spoken word. But they sound too much like a cheap set-up from the late 60s to me!

    It would be unfair to compare them to my full audiophile set up, but I did do some extensive direct comparisions with a) a Canton DM5 Soundbar driven by a Touch, and b) an SB radio. To give a fair chance, I went for a track that sounded overall best on any of them: Adele's Rolling in the Deep, FLAC. The Canton - plenty of power, plenty of focus, evenness of range response, plenty of clarity (it is, BTW, a device highly recommended by me). The SB Radio: clear and, though lacking any bass punch, pretty well-balanced across the range, fairly transparent. The Riva - boxy overall, very muddy in the middle, bass either too heavy or too light depending how complicated the musical arrangment was, Adele clearly now come down with a cold......

    I don't belive that such a compact unit as the Riva needs much "running in" of its drivers; but I will keep it running at 50% from time to time to see if that helps. But certainly, the idea immediately above this note of a pair of old Radios in stereo mode now looks - and sounds - attractive! I've got 4 of them, after all....
    LMS 7.9.3 (1596893334)
    Win10
    Control: Web GUI; sometimes OrangeSqueeze on Android phones / pads

    Machines / devices are in France, in two locations.
    a) Sagem Livebox
    Internal HDD (FLAC music; mp3 voice), Desktop
    3 x Touch - 2 wireless, 1 LAN. (7.8.0-r16754)
    3 x SB Radios [2 wireless, 1 LAN] (7.7.3-r16676)

    b) Freebox
    External SSD (all mp3), WiFi Laptop
    1 x Touch LAN (Firmware:7.8.0-r16754)
    1 x SB Radio, Wireless (7.7.3-r16676)
    1 x Pair Riva Arenas (via Airplay LMS PlugIn)

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Staffordshire. UK
    Posts
    3,582
    I run synced R & L squeezeboxen BOOM for my casual listening

    I get more and more casual everyday

    ronnie

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    UK, Lincolnshire
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by agbagb View Post
    Thought I'd just come back to this with a) where I am, and b) where I might go.....

    I didn't really know about, eg, the AirPlay PlugIn that turns smart active speakers into LMS players. Very cool. I got the chance to pick up two Riva Arena smart, wi-fi speakers at a knock down price; though the ones I got don't have the optional battery pack, that's the fully portable route.

    Set up was very easy (though the best option for genuine stereo is a bit up in the air, with there being 2 or 3 different possible approaches). The problem, for me, is what I consider to be a poor audio quality from the Riva - a very "boxy" sound, lacking transparency and precision. Very surprised. OK, they are more designed for pop and rock than (my preferred) classical, vocal or spoken word. But they sound too much like a cheap set-up from the late 60s to me!

    It would be unfair to compare them to my full audiophile set up, but I did do some extensive direct comparisions with a) a Canton DM5 Soundbar driven by a Touch, and b) an SB radio. To give a fair chance, I went for a track that sounded overall best on any of them: Adele's Rolling in the Deep, FLAC. The Canton - plenty of power, plenty of focus, evenness of range response, plenty of clarity (it is, BTW, a device highly recommended by me). The SB Radio: clear and, though lacking any bass punch, pretty well-balanced across the range, fairly transparent. The Riva - boxy overall, very muddy in the middle, bass either too heavy or too light depending how complicated the musical arrangment was, Adele clearly now come down with a cold......

    I don't belive that such a compact unit as the Riva needs much "running in" of its drivers; but I will keep it running at 50% from time to time to see if that helps. But certainly, the idea immediately above this note of a pair of old Radios in stereo mode now looks - and sounds - attractive! I've got 4 of them, after all....
    Yeah definitely go it a try. I run 2 SB Radio as stereo pair in Kitchen. I agree that normally bass isn't very powerful but with positioning (wall distance) you can get good result. I keep mines in corners and fairly close to wall and actually get plenty of low end.. Of course kitchen isn't my main listening location but I was surprised how big difference putting them in Stereo pair made.. It does sounds really good. Just sync with volume and power lock and you can control both from any of them (+ usual remote of choice)
    Test it and if happy add battery packs which last forever in my experience.. well at least original pack I have on other SB Radio..

    ps. if you have 4 radios.. you could technically keep 3rd one in mono mode somewhere on floor pointing away for "sub" effect ;P (or even 2 of them lol)
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 3x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.0.0 with Material Skin

  6. #16
    Senior Member agbagb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaca View Post
    Yeah definitely go it a try. I run 2 SB Radio as stereo pair in Kitchen. I agree that normally bass isn't very powerful but with positioning (wall distance) you can get good result. I keep mines in corners and fairly close to wall and actually get plenty of low end.. Of course kitchen isn't my main listening location but I was surprised how big difference putting them in Stereo pair made.. It does sounds really good. Just sync with volume and power lock and you can control both from any of them (+ usual remote of choice)
    Test it and if happy add battery packs which last forever in my experience.. well at least original pack I have on other SB Radio..

    ps. if you have 4 radios.. you could technically keep 3rd one in mono mode somewhere on floor pointing away for "sub" effect ;P (or even 2 of them lol)

    I'll give that a try at some point! I've never tried linking Radios as a stereo pair - but then, I'm always amazed how how much interesting stuff is tucked away in LMS Settings.....

    Oddly, I got an improved clarity of output from the Riva by moving it well *away* from the wall and putting a thick, deadening book under it.....
    LMS 7.9.3 (1596893334)
    Win10
    Control: Web GUI; sometimes OrangeSqueeze on Android phones / pads

    Machines / devices are in France, in two locations.
    a) Sagem Livebox
    Internal HDD (FLAC music; mp3 voice), Desktop
    3 x Touch - 2 wireless, 1 LAN. (7.8.0-r16754)
    3 x SB Radios [2 wireless, 1 LAN] (7.7.3-r16676)

    b) Freebox
    External SSD (all mp3), WiFi Laptop
    1 x Touch LAN (Firmware:7.8.0-r16754)
    1 x SB Radio, Wireless (7.7.3-r16676)
    1 x Pair Riva Arenas (via Airplay LMS PlugIn)

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Staffordshire. UK
    Posts
    3,582
    [QUOTE][I'll give that a try at some point! I've never tried linking Radios as a stereo pair /QUOTE]

    I run L & R Booms to pleasing effect

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    UK, Lincolnshire
    Posts
    144
    [QUOTE=Man in a van;984304]
    [I'll give that a try at some point! I've never tried linking Radios as a stereo pair /QUOTE]

    I run L & R Booms to pleasing effect
    I don't own Boom but can assume that's whole another level in terms of sound quality. Although afaik you cannot run it on battery so its not really portable solution
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 3x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.0.0 with Material Skin

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Staffordshire. UK
    Posts
    3,582
    [QUOTE=Jaca;984406]
    Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post

    I don't own Boom but can assume that's whole another level in terms of sound quality. Although afaik you cannot run it on battery so its not really portable solution
    philippe_44 runs one on a self made batterypack, I believe

    ronnie

  10. #20
    Senior Member agbagb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    438
    I thought it could be handy to update this thread, with my ongoing experience with the Riva Arena as a Squeezebox player.....

    *Avoid like the plague*.

    Not only still a very boxy sound, but a boxy sound on the few occasions it works. Constant dropping of WiFi, constant need to power cycle (which you can only do by unplugging its power cord), very unreliable connectivity with its own set-up apps (Google Home + Riva Wand). Zero tech support from Riva.

    There's a reason, methinks, why Riva products are currently deeply discounted......
    LMS 7.9.3 (1596893334)
    Win10
    Control: Web GUI; sometimes OrangeSqueeze on Android phones / pads

    Machines / devices are in France, in two locations.
    a) Sagem Livebox
    Internal HDD (FLAC music; mp3 voice), Desktop
    3 x Touch - 2 wireless, 1 LAN. (7.8.0-r16754)
    3 x SB Radios [2 wireless, 1 LAN] (7.7.3-r16676)

    b) Freebox
    External SSD (all mp3), WiFi Laptop
    1 x Touch LAN (Firmware:7.8.0-r16754)
    1 x SB Radio, Wireless (7.7.3-r16676)
    1 x Pair Riva Arenas (via Airplay LMS PlugIn)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •