Can I get a truly wire-free, portable, high audio quality, LMS-driven set up?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • agbagb
    • Aug 2006

Can I get a truly wire-free, portable, high audio quality, LMS-driven set up?

Can I get a truly wire-free, portable, high audio quality (preferably true stereo), LMS-driven set up? Or, at least near wire-free, and somewhat portable…. Now I’m retired – and somewhat quarantined…. – I’d like to add that option to my system.

At present I have a dedicated listening (mostly classical, but a lot of spoken word stuff too) space, where an ethernet Touch drives and quality amp and speakers. LMS sits on a Windows desktop, with mostly FLAC files on a big solid-state drive. That’s fine, and I don’t propose to change. I tend to control from the LMS GUI, or from SoftSqueeze on my phone. There’s a remote knocking round too; can’t remember when I last used the actual touchscreen on the Touch….

For portable music etc I tend to use wifi Radios (all have batteries), or sometimes a phone / pad running SBPlayer / OrangeSqueeze, plugged into little desk speakers here and there via 3.5mm cable. Radios are very portable, but not really of much audio quality (they will still have a role though – bedsides etc etc). Phone/active speakers are likewise weak audio quality, plus with wires all over. I’ve also got an old Duet Controller, which can do much the same (though it’s a flaky piece of kit, imho).

At the moment, the only way I can see to have a decent audio quality, portable, and virtually wire-free is to stump up nearly 1000 euros for a pair of Sonos Moves. As I understand it, they will easily show up in LMS (or OrangeSqueeze on my phone) as wifi Players. They charge via a base they sit on, so no unplugging to move them from room to room. No wire between a stereo pair either; and the sound quality is pretty decent (they are basically Sonos 1s, with a battery). You can use them as a pair, or just pick up one of them, if that’s more convenient (ie, a bit like an upgraded Radio). But, 1000 euros! Still, that’s not impossible, if they are a truly elegant solution.

The only other way I can see to go has a few more wires….. A pair of, say, Ruark MR1s, with the battery pack option: very acceptable small-package audio quality. But, they need a wire between them for stereo. And they need a player of some sort to drive them. Back to a phone running SBPlayer / OrangeSqueeze, either plugged in via 3.5 cable or Bluetooth.

Am I missing any choices? LMS-based, portable, good stereo audio quality, wire-free to the extent possible.
    Last edited by agbagb; 2020-07-02, 17:39. Reason: Added note about stereo requirement
    Gary Brown
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.4.0 - 1700745578
    Win11
    Control: MaterialSkin Web GUI Firefox; MaterialSkin app on Android phones / pads

in Paris, France:-
    Freebox Pop Wifi6 / Mesh
    External SSDs, WiFi Laptop
    1 x Touch Wireless (8.0.1-r16916)
    1 x SB Radio Wireless (8.0.1-r16924)
    [+ 3 spare Touch, 3 spare Radio, 2 x SqueezeAMP]
  • Paul Webster
    • Apr 2005

There are quite a few options that would cost a lot less ... assuming that you want to be able to roam further than bluetooth range
    e.g. 2nd-hand SB Radio - battery, good sound for size of device, local controls with screen and, of course, fully controllable via any LMS interface.

SqueezeAMP/SqueezeESP32 with battery power hidden inside something (portable radio, big bluetooth speaker)

Portable AirPlay or Chromecast speaker

Chromecast Audio (or whatever they are calling the equivalent nowadays) attached to something ...

Probably more
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

• castalla
      • Feb 2008

The Sonos forum is currently full of complaints/reports about connectivity issues with most of the Sonos range since Sonos introduced their futuristic 2 version software for 'legacy' and 'new' products. I haven't much info about the Move, but there is some confusion about how standard the bluetooth implementation is for the Moves.

Libratone Zipps are decent battery/mains speakers with Bluetooth, UPnP and Airplay, and cheaper by far than the overpriced Moves.
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• agbagb
        • Aug 2006

Thanks for both sets of suggestions above.

I should have specified that I'm looking for portable, wire-free but also a genuine stereo picture. So, almost certainly 2 speakers.

Though I'm of course aware that there are some very clever single-box stereo emulators (but none, as yet in my research, portable, wire-free....). Indeed, in one of my set-ups I drive a Canton soundbar (under a TV) with a Touch - and it's an amazing stereo picture for classical music, all in one (big, heavy, not-portable...) box.

Forgive a simple question - when I see Airplay and / or upnp cabability on a speaker, then I can control them from LMS as "SqueezePlayers", just with an LMS plug-in? Up 'til now, all my players are real Logitech kit, so I'm not familiar with what can do a software emulation of an LMS player. Indeed, I've only just discovered the nifty SBPlayer app, which enables me to drive my new Libratone Track+ neckband earbuds from LMS via my Android phone.....
        Gary Brown
        Win11
        Control: MaterialSkin Web GUI Firefox; MaterialSkin app on Android phones / pads

Freebox Pop Wifi6 / Mesh

Comment

• castalla
          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by agbagb
          Thanks for both sets of suggestions above.

I should have specified that I'm looking for portable, wire-free but also a genuine stereo picture. So, almost certainly 2 speakers.

Though I'm of course aware that there are some very clever single-box stereo emulators (but none, as yet in my research, portable, wire-free....). Indeed, in one of my set-ups I drive a Canton soundbar (under a TV) with a Touch - and it's an amazing stereo picture for classical music, all in one (big, heavy, not-portable...) box.

Forgive a simple question - when I see Airplay and / or upnp cabability on a speaker, then I can control them from LMS as "SqueezePlayers", just with an LMS plug-in? Up 'til now, all my players are real Logitech kit, so I'm not familiar with what can do a software emulation of an LMS player. Indeed, I've only just discovered the nifty SBPlayer app, which enables me to drive my new Libratone Track+ neckband earbuds from LMS via my Android phone.....
          As far as I recall the libratone zipps can act as a stereo pair. They are portable with a decent battery (and a carry strap!)..

So, are you using the Material skin on Android with SBPlayer?

You can also, or even better, set up Picoreplayer to see the bluetooth speakers/earbuds as 'players' - I find this excellent for earbuds and bt headphones.

edit: just noticed you're using Windows for LMS - so picoreplayer doesn't apply.
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• agbagb
            • Aug 2006

I'm OrangeSqueezing SBPlayer on the phone - but I do have Material on the LMS GUI, though I don't often use it.....

Those Libratone Zipps are each a 320 deg picture - so I think that even if they could do a "stereo" pair (not sure), I'm uncertain they would give me the sound picture I want. More research needed!
            Gary Brown
            Win11

Freebox Pop Wifi6 / Mesh

Comment

• Paul Webster
              • Apr 2005

I picked up a pair of battery powered (or mains) pair of AQAudio outdoor speakers over the weekend.
              They were being given away.

10+ years old, supplier long gone and sound a bit thin ... but work well out in the garden when sitting nearby.

They use 863 or 865 MHz wireless to send the stereo signal from the plugged in base sender (which has a 3.5mm jack plugged into an SB player in the kitchen).

Should get around 8-10 hours from 6 AA batteries (in each one).

Paul Webster
              Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
              and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

• agbagb
                • Aug 2006

Ah-ha - just seen this thread about the Riva Arena speakers: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...hp?109353-Riva

And the thread discussed more solutions too. Here in France I'm seeing good prices for the Arena, and also for its otherwise expensive battery pack option (which is also its very own wifi broadcast machine....). A single Arena appears to do decent stereo emulation at a good audio quality; they can be paired, and though this just gives 2 stereo emulators, not a stereo pair as such, some reviewers (via Google) report good experienced success with that double set-up for stereo-designed music.

We shall see! Still researching, but looking to buy in the next few weeks.
                Gary Brown
                Win11

Freebox Pop Wifi6 / Mesh

Comment

• agbagb
                  • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Paul Webster
                  I picked up a pair of battery powered (or mains) pair of AQAudio outdoor speakers over the weekend.
                  They were being given away.

10+ years old, supplier long gone and sound a bit thin ... but work well out in the garden when sitting nearby.

They use 863 or 865 MHz wireless to send the stereo signal from the plugged in base sender (which has a 3.5mm jack plugged into an SB player in the kitchen).

Should get around 8-10 hours from 6 AA batteries (in each one).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AQsound-Wir.../dp/B001L2LXVG

Interesting. Originally I had thought that something along those lines might be my solution - a little transmitter plugged into an existing SB component, and receiver-speakers. Back in the day, there used to be FM-based such systems...... But not too many of them were focused on final audio quality as such. That's a big part of my requirement, as well as portability and wire-free.
                  Gary Brown
                  Win11

Freebox Pop Wifi6 / Mesh

Comment

• d6jg
                    • Feb 2011

Interesting. Originally I had thought that something along those lines might be my solution - a little transmitter plugged into an existing SB component, and receiver-speakers. Back in the day, there used to be FM-based such systems...... But not too many of them were focused on final audio quality as such. That's a big part of my requirement, as well as portability and wire-free.
                    I have a Libratone Zipp that I use in the garden as a portable player with Phillipe’s AirPlay bridge plugin. I control with my smartphone. Sound quality is very good and given that the Zipp is also a Bluetooth speaker it can be used in conjunction with a smartphone when there is no WiFi available.

Given the background noise that you get anywhere outdoors I wouldn’t bother trying to create a Stereo Pair.

Are you talking about outdoor use or are you really looking for something that you can travel with and setup at your destination?
                    Jim

pCP9.0 / LMS 9.x storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
                    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
                    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
                    Kitchen WiiM Pro -> Topping MX3 - B&W In Ceiling speakers
                    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
                    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
                    Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Celestions F10s

Comment

• agbagb
                      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by d6jg
                      I have a Libratone Zipp that I use in the garden as a portable player with Phillipe’s AirPlay bridge plugin. I control with my smartphone. Sound quality is very good and given that the Zipp is also a Bluetooth speaker it can be used in conjunction with a smartphone when there is no WiFi available.

Given the background noise that you get anywhere outdoors I wouldn’t bother trying to create a Stereo Pair.

Are you talking about outdoor use or are you really looking for something that you can travel with and setup at your destination?

Outdoors I tend to use either a headset or a Radio - and that works well enough (don't want the neighbor setting his hunting dogs on me....).

This desire for wire-free, LMS stereo isn't intended for travelling, but in a large house. I have a great, existing quality set-up in one main room. Elsewhere in the house - kitchen, bedrooms, workshop, office, dining room, terrace etc - is where at present I rely on assorted Radios, or phone pushed to small active speakers. So, I'd like to up the level of ease and audio quality in 2, and maybe 3, of those other areas (which all have good wifi and ethernet). And I'd like to do that by easily moving a good quality system from place to place (just at the moment, with retirement and some degree of virus-lockdown, we're spending a lot of productive time at home!). If I could carry 2 wire-free speakers around from time to time, drive them from my phone link to the LMS sitting on the PC, then I'd be happy. I won't need to do this all the time - for 30 minutes in the workshop, an existing Radio will do. But for a longer stay there, I'd like my "ideal".

Those Riva Arenas look like they might fit the bill. The Zipps maybe also - though I wonder how well they would handle, say, opera? Most of my listening is classical (FLAC albums or radio streams), with some spoken word (plays books, most BBC).
                      Gary Brown
                      Win11

Freebox Pop Wifi6 / Mesh

Comment

• Jaca
                        • Nov 2012

Outdoors I tend to use either a headset or a Radio - and that works well enough (don't want the neighbor setting his hunting dogs on me....).

This desire for wire-free, LMS stereo isn't intended for travelling, but in a large house. I have a great, existing quality set-up in one main room. Elsewhere in the house - kitchen, bedrooms, workshop, office, dining room, terrace etc - is where at present I rely on assorted Radios, or phone pushed to small active speakers. So, I'd like to up the level of ease and audio quality in 2, and maybe 3, of those other areas (which all have good wifi and ethernet). And I'd like to do that by easily moving a good quality system from place to place (just at the moment, with retirement and some degree of virus-lockdown, we're spending a lot of productive time at home!). If I could carry 2 wire-free speakers around from time to time, drive them from my phone link to the LMS sitting on the PC, then I'd be happy. I won't need to do this all the time - for 30 minutes in the workshop, an existing Radio will do. But for a longer stay there, I'd like my "ideal".

Those Riva Arenas look like they might fit the bill. The Zipps maybe also - though I wonder how well they would handle, say, opera? Most of my listening is classical (FLAC albums or radio streams), with some spoken word (plays books, most BBC).
                        How about two SQ Radios in stereo mode?
                        3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, 2x SqueezeAMP, Squeezebox Receiver, PiCorePlayer (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro), Material Skin Apk, SqueezePlayer Apk, Squeezelite-X, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.4.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

Comment

• agbagb
                          • Aug 2006

Thought I'd just come back to this with a) where I am, and b) where I might go.....

I didn't really know about, eg, the AirPlay PlugIn that turns smart active speakers into LMS players. Very cool. I got the chance to pick up two Riva Arena smart, wi-fi speakers at a knock down price; though the ones I got don't have the optional battery pack, that's the fully portable route.

Set up was very easy (though the best option for genuine stereo is a bit up in the air, with there being 2 or 3 different possible approaches). The problem, for me, is what I consider to be a poor audio quality from the Riva - a very "boxy" sound, lacking transparency and precision. Very surprised. OK, they are more designed for pop and rock than (my preferred) classical, vocal or spoken word. But they sound too much like a cheap set-up from the late 60s to me!

It would be unfair to compare them to my full audiophile set up, but I did do some extensive direct comparisions with a) a Canton DM5 Soundbar driven by a Touch, and b) an SB radio. To give a fair chance, I went for a track that sounded overall best on any of them: Adele's Rolling in the Deep, FLAC. The Canton - plenty of power, plenty of focus, evenness of range response, plenty of clarity (it is, BTW, a device highly recommended by me). The SB Radio: clear and, though lacking any bass punch, pretty well-balanced across the range, fairly transparent. The Riva - boxy overall, very muddy in the middle, bass either too heavy or too light depending how complicated the musical arrangment was, Adele clearly now come down with a cold......

I don't belive that such a compact unit as the Riva needs much "running in" of its drivers; but I will keep it running at 50% from time to time to see if that helps. But certainly, the idea immediately above this note of a pair of old Radios in stereo mode now looks - and sounds - attractive! I've got 4 of them, after all....
                          Gary Brown
                          Win11

Freebox Pop Wifi6 / Mesh

Comment

• Man in a van
                            • Jan 2011

I run synced R & L squeezeboxen BOOM for my casual listening

I get more and more casual everyday

ronnie

Comment

• Jaca
                              • Nov 2012

Thought I'd just come back to this with a) where I am, and b) where I might go.....

I didn't really know about, eg, the AirPlay PlugIn that turns smart active speakers into LMS players. Very cool. I got the chance to pick up two Riva Arena smart, wi-fi speakers at a knock down price; though the ones I got don't have the optional battery pack, that's the fully portable route.

Set up was very easy (though the best option for genuine stereo is a bit up in the air, with there being 2 or 3 different possible approaches). The problem, for me, is what I consider to be a poor audio quality from the Riva - a very "boxy" sound, lacking transparency and precision. Very surprised. OK, they are more designed for pop and rock than (my preferred) classical, vocal or spoken word. But they sound too much like a cheap set-up from the late 60s to me!

It would be unfair to compare them to my full audiophile set up, but I did do some extensive direct comparisions with a) a Canton DM5 Soundbar driven by a Touch, and b) an SB radio. To give a fair chance, I went for a track that sounded overall best on any of them: Adele's Rolling in the Deep, FLAC. The Canton - plenty of power, plenty of focus, evenness of range response, plenty of clarity (it is, BTW, a device highly recommended by me). The SB Radio: clear and, though lacking any bass punch, pretty well-balanced across the range, fairly transparent. The Riva - boxy overall, very muddy in the middle, bass either too heavy or too light depending how complicated the musical arrangment was, Adele clearly now come down with a cold......

I don't belive that such a compact unit as the Riva needs much "running in" of its drivers; but I will keep it running at 50% from time to time to see if that helps. But certainly, the idea immediately above this note of a pair of old Radios in stereo mode now looks - and sounds - attractive! I've got 4 of them, after all....
                              Yeah definitely go it a try. I run 2 SB Radio as stereo pair in Kitchen. I agree that normally bass isn't very powerful but with positioning (wall distance) you can get good result. I keep mines in corners and fairly close to wall and actually get plenty of low end.. Of course kitchen isn't my main listening location but I was surprised how big difference putting them in Stereo pair made.. It does sounds really good. Just sync with volume and power lock and you can control both from any of them (+ usual remote of choice)
                              Test it and if happy add battery packs which last forever in my experience.. well at least original pack I have on other SB Radio..

ps. if you have 4 radios.. you could technically keep 3rd one in mono mode somewhere on floor pointing away for "sub" effect ;P (or even 2 of them lol)
                              3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, 2x SqueezeAMP, Squeezebox Receiver, PiCorePlayer (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro), Material Skin Apk, SqueezePlayer Apk, Squeezelite-X, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.4.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

Comment

Working...