Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spotify Artist/Album only sometimes appears in Extended Text Display on transporter

Hi

I have just bought a transporter and am loving it and the Extended Text Display. However, when I am using Spotify (Spotty plugin v4.1.0 in LMS 7.9.2 Debian) I see different information displayed in the Extended Text Display (right-hand display on transporter) depending on the day I use it or maybe how I am selecting the music in Spotify: I can't work it out.

Usually, for Spotify, the transporter's right-hand screen shows a single large scolling row displaying info such as: 2. <Song> by <Artist> from <Album>

However, sometimes I can get it to display two static (non-scrolling) rows, with the Album shown in the top row and the Artist in the main/larger text row below. This is what I want and this is how it always displays when I play my local Flac music that is stored on my LMS server, incidentally.

I would like to know how to get Spotify/spotty to always display the Album and Artist on two rows statically on the right-hand Extended Text Display on the transporter. I thought I had solved it yesterday because yesterday I found that if I first followed an Artist on Spotify and then went directly to Artists -> Albums in Spotify (instead of via Spotify search), and pressed play there, then I would get the Album and Artist displayed statically in two rows as desired. :-) Anyway, I cannot for the life of me get it to display Album and Artist again now. :-( I tend to use iPend by the way.

Please could someone tell me how to go about solving this? It's tricky as it seems to behave inconsistently and I cannot see what nerve to touch to make it work. Is there a config option for Extended Text Display somewhere? Or a config option in Spotty? Or a config option somewhere?

Thanks in advance

Spotify Artist/Album only sometimes appears in ExtendedText Display on transporter

> I have just bought a transporter and am loving it and the Extended Text
    > Display. However, when I am using Spotify (Spotty plugin v4.1.0 in LMS
    > 7.9.2 Debian) I see different information displayed in the Extended Text
    > Display (right-hand display on transporter) depending on the day I use
    > it or maybe how I am selecting the music in Spotify: I can't work it
    > out.

Are you using the MusicInfoSCR screensaver to configure what should be
    displayed?

In general the source can do little about what's being displayed. Except
    if eg. a source wouldn't provide distinct artist/album/track
    information, but only all in one. But then again Spotty should always
    return the full set as distinct values. At least that's what I'm seeing
    on my devices.

> Usually, for Spotify, the transporter's right-hand screen shows a single
    > large scolling row displaying info such as: 2. <Song> by <Artist> from
    > <Album>

Wheter you see one large line or two smaller ones is only a function of
    what font size you chose. It has nothing to do with the content provider.

--

Michael

Hi

I am not using MusicInfoSCR

I've just worked out what exactly I was doing in Spotify to get the Album and Artist displayed. From iPeng, I have to click on play from the Artist top-level in Spotty, so Spotty -> Artists -> <an artist>. Then it works, but of course it plays everything for that artist then. At least I get the Album name on the top row and the Artist on the second row.
    This is the ONLY way it seems to get the Album and Artist displayed this way. Even if I go directly into Spotty -> Albums and click on an album, I don't get the nice album/artist displayed, just the scrolling all-in-one info.

Note: I can only achieve this via iPeng. If I try to do this from my web browser on the LMS page, at the Spotty -> Artists level, there seems to be no way to say PLAY, I have to drill down into the albums and then it won't display what I want. So I don't know if some iPeng magic is happening at the Spotty -> Artists level or whether this is a Spotty thing and there is still hope of a fix?

By the way, yes, it seems I have it set to two rows always, thanks. So Spotty must use only the second row when I go into Spotty -> Artist -> Albums -> <an album> and for this it just displays the scrolling info all-in-one, which I don't want.

Any idea if what I want is easily achievable? All the info must be there somewhere, but Spotty seems only to be able to do what I want when it plays from the top Spotty- > Artists submenu on iPeng.

I hope the above makes sense - hard to describe in words. See attached images step1.png and step2.png. I click on Artists in Step 1, and in Step 2 I click on the picture of the artist to play the lot, and then I get the display I want: Album and Artist.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by tricia; 2020-06-30 at 08:30. Reason: To add two images to show what I mean.

I've installed the MusicInfoSCR plugin. The right-hand display still displays the single scrolling line of info when on Now playing BUT, if I use the remote control and press Arrow UP or DOWN, to see the previous or next track on the left screen, then the right-hand screen suddenly changes to display the Album and Artist as I want.
    So it seems to now display what I want except for the one time when I want it to display it - i.e. when the left hand screen is showing the current track that is playing. Is this configurable?

I've had a play with the MusicInfoSCR plugin config and even use custom mode, but it seems something overrides all these settings for the Now Playing song. As soon as I scroll up or down of the current song and into the playlist then the right-hand display is correct: album and artist.

I attach tow images, one of what I want it to (always) look like on the right-hand screen and one of what it looks like when on the track that is currently playing.

Do you know what is overriding the right-hand display when Now Playing is viewed and why? And more importantly, how to stop it overriding the display?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by tricia; 2020-06-30 at 09:33. Reason: Added two images to show what I am seeing

Well, I've been fiddling with the MusicInfoScreen plugin config and almost got it how I want it. But it went a bit wierd and had the same track title in there multiple times. So I rebboted the transporter and it's a it happier now. But the Playtime_remaining no longer counts down, it's static, which makes it hard to know which track is the one playing. But if I slide the now playing info across to the right-hand screen, the playtime_remaining is live and does count down. Maybe I need to reboot the LMS server once I have settings how I want them? Or does I need a later version of LMS?

It's odd. It seems to behave differently for Spotty than it does for normal local FLAC files. It feels like it should be possible to make it do what I want, but there is something getting in the way I feel.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by tricia; 2020-06-30 at 12:07. Reason: More info

Spotify Artist/Album only sometimes appears in ExtendedText Display on transporter

> reboot the LMS server once I have settings how I want them? Or does I
    > need a later version of LMS?

You certainly won't need a newer LMS, as development of the MIS plugin
    has stopped long ago...

--

Michael

Ok thanks for your reply - so don't update LMS then.

In a nutshell, when selecting the "NOW PLAYING" info on the left-hand screen (as opposed to selecting the "THE CURRENT PLAYLIST" info) the information that is displayed on the RIGHT-hand screen is different for Spotty to what it is for local FLAC files on LMS server's disk. The right-hand screen displays the following:

For Local LMS files: "Album" on the top line and "Artist" on the lower line (just what I want)

For Spotty files: Nothing on then top line and "<tracknum> <Song> by <Artist> from <Album>" on the lower line

In other words, for Local LMS files, the right-hand screen ALWAYS displays Album" on the top line and "Artist" on the lower line, whether I select "THE CURRENT PLAYLIST" or "NOW PLAYING" on the left-hand screen. Just what I want.
    Spotty decides to do something different when I select NOW PLAYING" on the left-hand screen.

So my questions are this:

1. For the right-hand screen - my main problem
    If I DON'T select screensaver as my choice of Customize Playlist Display (i.e. I select Default (Squeezecentre)), then when scrolling up/down the playlist on the left-hand screen, when I select the song that is playing now, the right-hand screen suddenly stops showing Album and Artist and starts showing "<tracknum> <Song> by <Artist> from <Album>" which is not what I want. And this ONLY happens when playing music on Spotty. Its not a problem for local FLAC files on my LMS server's hard disk. So this makes me suspect Spotty is doing something slightly different to the local file playing thing.

2. For the left-hand screen - I notice this bug?
    Although I can configure what to display in the Current Play List in the Screensaver, if I select screensaver as my choice of Customize Playlist Display, then it behaves oddly: same track mentioned multiple times and ALL items in the playlist look identical so I don't know which one is now playing and the remaining time does not count down for any of the items in the list, but it should count down for the current playing song.

I have not configured "tracknum> <Song> by <Artist> from <Album>" anywhere, so I am not sure where Spotty is getting this from. Any ideas?

I'd be happy to fiddle with the Perl if there is something fairly simple I can fiddle with?

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by tricia; 2020-06-30 at 23:13. Reason: Improbe details

Ah ha. I think it must be a bug because I can trick it into doing the right thing. To trick it, do this:

STEP 1: Whilst track 3 is playing, arrow up to track 2 so that Current Playlist is showing on the left-screen rather than Now Playing, and the desired Album/Artist is showing on the the right-hand screen

STEP 2: Wait 30s for the screensaver to time out. (My screens just go blank after this timeout as that's what I want)

STEP 3: Click the volume up or down a notch to awaken the displays. As soon as the volume widget disappears you are left with the Now Playing info on the left screen for the current track, and on the right screen, you can see Album/Artist! :-)

So that's a sort-of workaround. But what I really want is it to work properly so that I can just walk up to the transporter and press the Now Playing button and see what I want to see.

Is this easily fixable? :-)

Thanks

> Is this easily fixable? :-)

I'm sorry to say that there's too much information spread across too
    many postings for me to digest easily... I'm not sure what you're doing,
    what is happening, what you want. Could you please start over? And
    describe in detail your MusicInfoSCR configuration.

--

Michael

Hi

Sorry for the confusion. I don't actually need the MusicInfoSCR plugin I believe. It's just a Spotty "fix".

All I want is this:

When it is playing an album from Spotty, then when I press the NOW PLAYING button on the Transporter (or Remote control), I want the left-hand screen to display the Now Playing song (it does that already) and the right-hand screen to display Album on the top line and Artist on the lower line (it does not do that currently).
    That's it.

Currently when I press NOW PLAYING, the right-hand screen shows "<tracknum> <Song> by <Artist> from <Album>" for 30 seconds UNTIL the 30 seconds timer times out, and then it displays Album on the top line and Artist on the lower line.

So it's just for those first 30 seconds that it is wrong, but given I only look at the screen for the first few seconds after pressing the NOW PLAYING button, this is important to me.

Does that make sense? I hope so.

Thanks!
    Last edited by tricia; 2020-07-01 at 09:36. Reason: Clarification