Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MainSqueeze View Post
    I swear I searched that manual on Sourceforge several times for "-C". It turns out the manual uses en dashes rather than just ordinary hyphens...

Still, now that I've recovered from the embarrassment: if "-C" specifies the compression rate, in this case for output to FLAC, then it should be safe, on a modern machine, to omit that option from the custom-convert command and go with SoX's default rate of 5, shouldn't it?
    Yeah, on desktop level CPUs I don't think it makes a difference. Probably doesn't for recent Raspberry (thinking 3 and 4). I'm no expert but this (CPU usage) is something you can easily check with task manager (not familiar with how it's called in Linux environment).

Also, thanks for defining me as knowledgeable. In reality... I simply like to tinker and Squeezebox really is a tinkerer's paradise. To think that after so many years (15 and counting) it's still capable of surprising me with new functionalities... I'm honest when I say I feel like I will never be able to give back enough to this community for all the value it has brought to me.

Device type codes

One more question, if I may, to add to my little custom-convert documentation project: the default convert.conf file lists only three "current" device types: slimp3, squeezebox and * (for all types). Do you know how one might specify more recent models, e.g. Boom and Touch? What are their device type codes?

One more question, if I may, to add to my little custom-convert documentation project: the default convert.conf file lists only three "current" device types: slimp3, squeezebox and * (for all types). Do you know how one might specify more recent models, e.g. Boom and Touch? What are their device type codes?
    Using the model to make choice is really only good for older player.

IIRC most squeezelite and I think Touch & radio come under "squeezeplay" - so basing decision on model type is not good as you can't distinguish between a player with a high end DAC vs a low END

Over time more parameter such as %p & %n have been added so that scripts can take more tailored actions.

I think some other names may be 'http', 'receiver', 'softsqueeze', 'slimp3', 'boom', 'transporter', 'squeezebox' & 'squeezebox2'
    Last edited by bpa; 2020-07-04 at 06:10.

gorman was so right when he said, in post 20 above:

Quote Originally Posted by gorman View Post
    Convert.conf still is some sort of black magic stuff under many aspects... it's good to have clarifications on the forums, when possible. For future reference.
    Black magic indeed. Each little bit you learn only gives you a better idea of how much you don't yet know.

Suppose, for future reference, one wanted to use convert-conf to transcode (and equalize) not only local files but also remote MP3 streams. That would require capability R, but how would one integrate that, for instance, with the two lines that work for transcoding local MP3s?

Black magic indeed. Each little bit you learn only gives you a better idea of how much you don't yet know.
    And that goes for the me as well. I dabble in just one small area of streaming and transcoding. A recent PlayHLS bug highlighted the gaps in my knowledge.

Suppose, for future reference, one wanted to use convert-conf to transcode (and equalize) not only local files but also remote MP3 streams. That would require capability R, but how would one integrate that, for instance, with the two lines that work for transcoding local MP3s?
    If you use squeezelite, on whatever platform, you can decide an arbitrary MAC address with the -m switch. That allows for pretty specific custom-convert.conf instructions on a per player basis, since all the other players have unique MAC addresses (which you can use to define a custom-convert.conf instruction).

As for your question above, with the player.source debug log active, try to play an mp3 stream of your choice and post the tokenized command here. From there we can work it out, I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by gorman View Post
    As for your question above, with the player.source debug log active, try to play an mp3 stream of your choice and post the tokenized command here. From there we can work it out, I hope.
    Great. Sounds like a plan. What I'd like to do is see how far we can take custom-convert (for equalization, room correction, or personal preference, to compensate for room boundaries when positioning speakers, or even just to add reverb to every file played back through LMS if that's what it takes to bring down Babylon), then document what we've learned and post that either here or in a separate thread.

But before I can do that I now have to go down the pub, get drunk and catch Covid-19 because Boris Johnson tells me that's the only way to save the economy...

But before I can do that I now have to go down the pub, get drunk and catch Covid-19 because Boris Johnson tells me that's the only way to save the economy...
    Enjoy your pint, man! Be safe! Better to drink outside, if you can

If the same command works for both local and remote - you can have F & R on the same line - look at the lines which use wmadec assuming it is R type and not an I type you really want.

If you want different lines for F & R - then wait - there is an LMS 8.* change which may help but it can make things more complicated with more "rules"

Great. Sounds like a plan. What I'd like to do is see how far we can take custom-convert (for equalization, room correction, or personal preference, to compensate for room boundaries when positioning speakers, or even just to add reverb to every file played back through LMS if that's what it takes to bring down Babylon), then document what we've learned and post that either here or in a separate thread.

Hi! Did you survive the pub? Waiting for new debug lines :-)