Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Moving/migrate LMS from Win to Linux keeping all stat's & settings in Erlands plugin

    Hi everyone

    As in title, I've been thinking about this for a long time since I'm getting more and more annoyed with Microsoft. Sadly been MS user since Win 3.1 ...(yes I'm "old" ...) not very good with Linux but getting better little by little.
    Anyone done it succesfully and would like to share the experiences of how and what to avoid? Using ; TrackStat, Custom Browse, Custom Scan. My main concern is Trackstat. Know how to use Trackstat backups for restoring but wondering about how to "transform" the windows URL 's for all the file locations to something that Linux understand? Like Linux isn't using "drive letter" in filepaths as windows does. Keen user of Notepad ++, is there any way I could use it or any other tool to do a "search and replace" of a whole backup file? If anyone gone this path I would be very grateful if you have any tips you could share of what to do and not.

    Cheers
    Last edited by doggod; 2020-06-28 at 12:23.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    27
    Hi,
    Good move - I am sure you will enjoy that.
    For modifying contents of text files I would personally use bash scripts in linux, using special tools like awk, sed etc.
    But notepad++ is quite good as well, and you can use regular expressions in search/replace for more tricky cases. I am not particularly good but I'm happy to help if you have examples of patterns you want to change in your files. I am sure plenty of other people in this forum will do the same...

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    1,012
    Quote Originally Posted by doggod View Post
    Using ; TrackStat, Custom Browse, Custom Scan. My main concern is Trackstat. Know how to use Trackstat backups for restoring but wondering about how to "transform" the windows URL 's for all the file locations to something that Linux understand? Like Linux isn't using "drive letter" in filepaths as windows does. Keen user of Notepad ++, is there any way I could use it or any other tool to do a "search and replace" of a whole backup file? If anyone gone this path I would be very grateful if you have any tips you could share of what to do and not.
    In the TrackStat backup files, you have the file path like this:
    Code:
    <url>file%3A%2F%2F%2Fdata%2Fmusic%2FBailter%2520Space%2520-%2520Solar.3%2F08%2520-%2520Locher.flac</url>
    It is encoded, there are online tools like this
    In this example, one would simply replace every instance of
    Code:
    %2Fdata%2Fmusic%2F
    with e.g.
    Code:
    %2Fnewdata%2Fmusic%2F
    which on Linux you can do with
    Code:
    sed -i -e 's/%2Fdata%2Fmusic%2F/%2Fnewdata%2Fmusic%2F/' trackstat_scheduled_backup_20200627.xml
    Notepad++ should work as well.
    Also, make sure the file is in UTF-8 encoding, and not some weird Windows encoding (Notepad++ probably can show / convert file encodings)
    Various SW: Web Interface | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | LMSlib2go | ...
    Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland0 View Post
    Notepad++ should work as well.
    Also, make sure the file is in UTF-8 encoding, and not some weird Windows encoding (Notepad++ probably can show / convert file encodings)
    Agree! Encoding (for accents or special characters) and line breaks problems are classic cases with text-based files coming from Windows... Notepad++ is aware!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by truscellino View Post
    Agree! Encoding (for accents or special characters) and line breaks problems are classic cases with text-based files coming from Windows... Notepad++ is aware!
    Ah I see, so you reckon it would be better to use a Linux or Mac based texteditor? Sadly have absolutely no experience of anything else so would much prefer using Notepad ++ if possible? See in "Roland0" profile that he's from Austria so maybe he might have some experience of caveats to avoid referring to the use of ┼, ─ & Í. Ok I know ┼ & ─ is not used in german but at least Í is (I'm Swedish btw). I seem to remember that from time to time during the years having major problems with this when it comes to filepaths in different applications. And that is just from only using windows ... so can see that there could be hickups in move from one OS to another like I'm planning.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    27
    All the search/replace operations can be done in Notepad++... use this if this is easier to you. What I was saying is that Notepad++ has the options to deal with character encoding and line breaks, so you can do everything in notepad++. However you will have to do things in linux, like 1/ getting the base file path for your music and 2/ subsequently checking that your files coming from LMS Windows work well with LMS on linux. You will find help here in your journey

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •