Today vs 2012; What's different today in the Squeezebox world?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bpa
    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by artmaltman
    Does the Touch have compatibility issues with some modem/routers?
    Is there a network setting on the Touch that I might have overlooked?
    Never had wifi problems at all ever in the several years I've been in this home.
    Rebuffering could mean either Wifi capacity to Touch is at limited (e.g. sending files as 96kbps WAV and not flac and lots of other wifi traffic) or interference from other devices (e.g. BT, wireless home cinema system)

1. Check for possible conflict/interference from other wifi networks. Use wifi scanner. See if any other Wifi nets are nearby. - set router not to auto-choose channel and set channel at least occupied or 1,6 or 11 (some users say avoid 6). Touch is an "old" b/g device and cannot discriminate as well as newer devices.
    2. Some modems routers have new features which be upsetting - turn off things like bonding, optional feature which may not be fully backwards compatible with an b/g device.
    3. If using dual bandwidth - move as applicable devices to 5Ghz.

Comment

• artmaltman
      • Apr 2010

Creative Solutions

Thinking about this overnight I realized that I have at least two creative solutions that will avoid the double wifi hop:

1. Plug my Mac directly into the ethernet. I think that someone mentioned this above, but I am so stuck in the wifi frame of thinking that it did not sink in initially. While my stereo is way across the room from the router/modem, my computer shares a wall with the router/modem. Roughly 15 feet, ethernet can handle that distance, no? This solution lets me use the current LMS along with the latest plugins for streaming.

2. Dust off my 2008 MacBook Pro which was sitting in the closet next to my Squeezebox Touch's. Plug it directly into the ethernet and use it as a server. This solution might come with security problems though, as the operating system on that machine is long past receiving security updates from Apple.

Thanks for your assistance with this. What an amazing community.

Comment

• slartibartfast
        • Jan 2010

Thinking about this overnight I realized that I have at least two creative solutions that will avoid the double wifi hop:

1. Plug my Mac directly into the ethernet. I think that someone mentioned this above, but I am so stuck in the wifi frame of thinking that it did not sink in initially. While my stereo is way across the room from the router/modem, my computer shares a wall with the router/modem. Roughly 15 feet, ethernet can handle that distance, no? This solution lets me use the current LMS along with the latest plugins for streaming.

2. Dust off my 2008 MacBook Pro which was sitting in the closet next to my Squeezebox Touch's. Plug it directly into the ethernet and use it as a server. This solution might come with security problems though, as the operating system on that machine is long past receiving security updates from Apple.

Or buy a Raspberry Pi and leave it on 24/7.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
        Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
        Bedroom: Radio
        Bathroom: Radio

Comment

• bpa
          • Oct 2005

Thinking about this overnight I realized that I have at least two creative solutions that will avoid the double wifi hop:.
          If you get rebuffering when playing files from LMS - then double hop is NOT the issue.

Comment

• garym
            • May 2008

Originally posted by bpa
            If you get rebuffering when playing files from LMS - then double hop is NOT the issue.
            Why not? The Mac running LMS is connected via wifi to router (one hop), then TOUCH is connected to same router via WIFI (second hop). Wouldn't this be a double hop?
            (OP tested this, when he wired the Touch, buffering went away).
            Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
            Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
            Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
            The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
            Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
            Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• garym
              • May 2008

either would work (I recommended #1 early on). ethernet can handle several hundred feet of cable. Re: #2, assuming you have normal firewall, etc. on router, don't open any ports on the router, and run some sort of AntiVirus program on the 2008 MacBook, it might make a perfectly fine server. Just delete all the personal files you don't use (not required, but just in case), put your music files on it, and run only LMS on the old computer. I don't see a security issue there, but I'm not security expert.
              Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
              Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
              Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• bpa
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by garym
                Why not? The Mac running LMS is connected via wifi to router (one hop), then TOUCH is connected to same router via WIFI (second hop). Wouldn't this be a double hop?
                (OP tested this, when he wired the Touch, buffering went away).
                OK - sorry you're right. I was think along the lines of internet streaming which is where rebuffering more likely and got mixed up.

Comment

• Nonreality
                  • Feb 2008

Wow it's so great to see your familiar name Garym! I'm also glad you explained the edo app as I agree that my touch still sounds great without it but I'll definitely add it. Hope all is well with you and your loved ones.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by Nonreality; 2020-06-30, 16:21.
                  If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use is the rule.

HTTP://www.last.fm/user/nonreality

Comment

• garym
                    • May 2008

Originally posted by Nonreality
                    Wow it's so great to see your familiar name Garym! I'm also glad you explained the edo app as I agree that my touch still sounds great without it but I'll definitely add it. Hope all is well with you and your loved ones.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
                    Likewise! Life is good, mostly. Lucky because only bored working from home and missing live music shows, restaurants, and travel. Obviously, that means I've got it made these days, all things considered. Take care. /Gary

Comment

• cfuttrup
                      • Sep 2009

Many of the others could be removed (as no longer work, like MOG), but they shouldn't be causing any problems.
                      Is there a list of plug-ins that no longer work?

/Claus

Comment

• garym
                        • May 2008

Originally posted by cfuttrup
                        Is there a list of plug-ins that no longer work?

/Claus
                        Not sure. And to be clear, perhaps the MOG plugin still works. It is just that the MOG music service no longer exists, so nothing to connect to.

Comment

• cfuttrup
                          • Sep 2009

Hi garym

Yes, and what about Napster, Deezer, Amazon CD store, MusicIP, Orange Liveradio and Slacker, etc?

Is there a way we could check all the plugins and maybe create a list of ones that no longer function?

/Claus

Comment

• garym
                            • May 2008

Originally posted by cfuttrup
                            Hi garym

Yes, and what about Napster, Deezer, Amazon CD store, MusicIP, Orange Liveradio and Slacker, etc?

Is there a way we could check all the plugins and maybe create a list of ones that no longer function?

/Claus
                            Don't know. I don't use any of the ones you mention, and I simply untick all these in LMS > Settings > Plugins, and they are not installed on my machines. So they are irrelevant to my installs of LMS.

Comment

• syrah
                              • Mar 2012

I'd say it is very capable even without the EDO applet. (in case the OP doesn't know, the EDO applet will allow the Touch to play 24/192 files (normally limited to 24/96 files). EDO will also allow the one to connect the Touch to the USB input of a DAC. (full disclosure, I've not used the EDO applet on my Touch players.)
                              I'm very much in the same shoes as the OP, rediscovering my two SBTs acquired in 2011 and enjoying them now as much if not more than I did all those years ago. Just today, I installed the EDO applet, eight years too late. What a rousing discovery; it is supposed to allow: (1) 24/192 playback via digital coaxial out, and (2) turns the SBT USB input into an output to connect to an external DAC. Unfortunately, as of now, I still haven't managed to get that working fully - as 24/192 tracks keep dropping out and rebuffering incessantly. I'm sure I'll sort it out before long.

Comment

• Man in a van
                                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by syrah
                                I'm very much in the same shoes as the OP, rediscovering my two SBTs acquired in 2011 and enjoying them now as much if not more than I did all those years ago. Just today, I installed the EDO applet, eight years too late. What a rousing discovery; it is supposed to allow: (1) 24/192 playback via digital coaxial out, and (2) turns the SBT USB input into an output to connect to an external DAC. Unfortunately, as of now, I still haven't managed to get that working fully - as 24/192 tracks keep dropping out and rebuffering incessantly. I'm sure I'll sort it out before long.
                                Which DAC are you using and is the SBT connected by Ethernet or wireless ?

ronnie

Comment

Working...