Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

LMS Sqlite Cache/Prefs on CIFS?

I've had a search and can't find anything specific on this.

So with the PcP LMS install we can set the prefs/cache directory to be on a CIFS share.

A while back I had issues doing this, essentially the sqlite db creation would repeatedly fail, I worked around this by adding `nobrl`to my mount options :

Code:
    nobrl
        Do not send byte range lock requests to the server. This is necessary for certain applications that break with cifs style mandatory byte range locks (and most cifs servers do not yet support requesting advisory byte range locks).
    So only options I have then are uid=1001,gid=50,nobrl.

PcP along with LMS then loads and scans fine and everything is ok... for a while.

The issue is, some time later I just end up with db corruption and have to reset/rebuild cache/prefs, where it will be ok for a while again, but then corrupt.

Is there any current guidance for getting this working reliably? Is this actually viable?

The alternative would seem to be storing the cache/prefs on the sdcard, which I can do but I'd imagine this isn't going to be particularly reliable either.

Perhaps the right answer is, if you're using LMS on PcP then really you do want an SSD hard drive or similar, even if it's only to reliably store the 40 odd MB of cache/prefs data.
    Last edited by Prime Heretic; 2020-06-24 at 13:58.

Would not recommend CIFS for write access. NFS would be better if you really must put it on the network, but it will slow down your system.

Why would you think the SD card is not reliable? It's the best way to go. If you put everything on an SSD, then thats fine, just use a Unix format for the partition. i.e. ext3/4
    Last edited by paul-; 2020-06-24 at 16:53.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

LMS Sqlite Cache/Prefs on CIFS?

> Why would you think the SD card is not reliable?

I'd second that question. With thousands of active LMS on pCP
    installations out there I bet 99% of them are using the default setup
    writing to SD card. There can't be a bigger problem to this.

--

Michael

Aye I switched to sdcard last night to see how it goes, essentially on the same line of thinking as above, ie it is the standard setup and I don't see endless threads about sdcard issues here when LMS is enabled.

Also Googling sdcard and database you of course find millions of Android users using Chrome which I think uses Sqlite for storage.

From what I can see Sqlite locks don't get on too well with CIFS. Reasons why I wanted it on the network :

• I viewed it as more reliable. Generally sdcards can be a problem (ie PcP specifically avoids using its card). Also my understanding (perhaps mistaken) was sdcards aren't well-suited to lots of changes ie for sticking a database on.
    • Avoiding a 1h30 rescan on the event of a rebuild/reinstall
    • Config then gets backed up

I'll just go with sdcard I think. Cheers
    Last edited by Prime Heretic; 2020-06-25 at 00:55.

There are methods of doing a backup if you really are that worried. Just setup a cron job to run at night, to backup the files to your network storage.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer