Squeezebox Radio Keeps Disconnecting from Wifi - Possibly failing wifi card?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barrypg
    • Jun 2020

Squeezebox Radio Keeps Disconnecting from Wifi - Possibly failing wifi card?

I have a Squeezebox Boom and a Squeezebox Radio. The SQ Boom works/connects fine.

However, I have started having a new problem with the SB radio recently which I've owned since 2011.

Every 20 - 60 minutes (time frame varies) it randomly disconnects from my wifi network. The signal bar turns red and the only way I can reconnect to my wifi network, is by unplugging and replugging the power source. That only works for another 20-60 minutes until the next disconnection.

I don't think it's my router as all other devices (including the Boom) work fine. I've set it to channel 6 and rebooted the router. Also, I tried factory resetting the SB radio, but to no avail.

I'm wondering if the wifi card inside might be the problem and has now started to fail over time?

If so, is there any replacement part option? That is, can I buy a new wifi card and if so, where can I get repair instructions (i.e. how to open, remove and replace the wifi card)?

Thanks in advance for a) any troubleshooting advice and b) any repair suggestions.

- Barry
  • Man in a van
    • Jan 2011

Might be a failing power supply ?

Try it connected by ethernet ?

Comment

• Barrypg
      • Jun 2020

Originally posted by Man in a van
      Might be a failing power supply ?

Try it connected by ethernet ?
      \

I tried connecting it with ethernet and it works fine. Also, even when the wifi indicator shows up "red", the power still seems to be working, in that the clock displays accurately. So could it still be a failing power supply under these conditions?

Comment

• Man in a van
        • Jan 2011

I don't know, give it 20-60 minutes

Maybe look at your wifi network, channel overloaded with other devices, change channel, that sort of thing.

I have no idea if it is possible to replace the wifi card, but you could use a wifi/ethernet bridge if it is deffo up the spout

ronnie

Comment

• Heuer
          • Nov 2005

Try any channel other than 6. I had this problem and I can replicate it simply by switching the AP to Channel 6 when the device disappears from LMS. That Radio (and one of my Boom's) works perfectly on Ch 1 and 11. Worth a try!
          Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
          Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
          Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
          Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
          Bedroom: Radio
          Shed: Radio
          Workshop: Boom
          Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
          Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers

Comment

• JoeMuc2009
            • Jan 2009

The SB radio does not have a dedicated Wi-Fi board. Like the Touch and unlike previous models, the Wi-Fi chip is soldered to the radio's main board. I have one here that won't connect wirelessly at all whereas all other functionality is fine.
            The chip is not easily replaced, I think it might even be a BGA soldered chip which leaves it to high experts and gurus to replace successfully. Sorry man but it's probably not coming back. You might help yourself with an external Wi-Fi to Ethernet bridge because that will probably keep working.
            If you actually want to open the Radio, I can give you some instructions. Chances are very very slim though that this gets you anywhere.
            Cheers
            Joe

Gesendet von meinem STK-LX1 mit Tapatalk
            sigpic

PN me if your Boom / Classic / Transporter display has issues!

Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?ri...50753#allposts

Comment

• bpa
              • Oct 2005

The most recent thread on the same subject seems to think it is interference from other radio sources (that can include newer Wifi standards) - look at last few post on this thread where omnium21 tested with a Faraday cage having hacked the serial port to interrogate wifi s/w

Comment

• omnium21
                • Jun 2020

Originally posted by bpa
                The most recent thread on the same subject seems to think it is interference from other radio sources (that can include newer Wifi standards) - look at last few post on this thread where omnium21 tested with a Faraday cage having hacked the serial port to interrogate wifi s/w
                https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...nect-any-ideas
                Thanks for linking the thread. I was reading this thinking, "this sounds exactly like my problem". My Radio isn't faulty as such, but it looks like it's being overwhelmed by other WiFi networks, causing the software to crash.
                Changing my WiFi access point to use a fixed channel (not 1, 6 or 11, for sure!) and setting the "Channel Bandwidth" to 20MHz seems to help a lot.

Comment

• Barrypg
                  • Jun 2020

Originally posted by omnium21
                  Thanks for linking the thread. I was reading this thinking, "this sounds exactly like my problem". My Radio isn't faulty as such, but it looks like it's being overwhelmed by other WiFi networks, causing the software to crash.
                  Changing my WiFi access point to use a fixed channel (not 1, 6 or 11, for sure!) and setting the "Channel Bandwidth" to 20MHz seems to help a lot.
                  So I just bought a 2nd Squeezebox Radio off eBay, assuming that the wifi chipset (I think that's what it's called) had gone faulty in my original Squeezebox Radio. Well, I'm having the exact same problem in the used radio, which is both Squeezebox Radios disconnect from my Wifi after a few minutes. The only way to bring back the network on wifi is to disconnect the power and then go into Settings - Advanced - Network - Select Wireless Network and relog in again.

I don't have this problem with my Squeezebox Boom. It connects to wifi and stays connected.

I have a new computer, running Windows 10. My router is a combined modem/router (Netgear C6900) and have high-speed internet via Cox. I've tried using auto, or a fixed channel, but the same problem keeps happening.

The only thing that works is an ethernet connection or a wifi-extender with ethernet plugged in. So on my original Squeezebox Radio that's what I'm using.

I was hoping to use the Squeezebox Radio on my patio in a portable fashion using the battery (which I just bought from Amazon when I ordered the used eBay Squeezebox Radio), but since neither unit connects to wifi, I can't do it.

I can't figure out why the Boom maintains a connection, but both Squeezebox Radios keep disconnecting. I'm running the latest LMS (7.92).

Anyone else have any networking troubleshooting suggestions?

Thank you,
                  Barry

Comment

• slartibartfast
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Barrypg
                    So I just bought a 2nd Squeezebox Radio off eBay, assuming that the wifi chipset (I think that's what it's called) had gone faulty in my original Squeezebox Radio. Well, I'm having the exact same problem in the used radio, which is both Squeezebox Radios disconnect from my Wifi after a few minutes. The only way to bring back the network on wifi is to disconnect the power and then go into Settings - Advanced - Network - Select Wireless Network and relog in again.

I don't have this problem with my Squeezebox Boom. It connects to wifi and stays connected.

I have a new computer, running Windows 10. My router is a combined modem/router (Netgear C6900) and have high-speed internet via Cox. I've tried using auto, or a fixed channel, but the same problem keeps happening.

The only thing that works is an ethernet connection or a wifi-extender with ethernet plugged in. So on my original Squeezebox Radio that's what I'm using.

I was hoping to use the Squeezebox Radio on my patio in a portable fashion using the battery (which I just bought from Amazon when I ordered the used eBay Squeezebox Radio), but since neither unit connects to wifi, I can't do it.

I can't figure out why the Boom maintains a connection, but both Squeezebox Radios keep disconnecting. I'm running the latest LMS (7.92).

Anyone else have any networking troubleshooting suggestions?

Thank you,
                    Barry
                    What have you tried? Did it work with a different router?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
                    Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
                    Bathroom: Radio

Comment

• Heuer
                      • Nov 2005

What fixed channels did you try?
                      Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
                      Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller

Comment

• omnium21
                        • Jun 2020

Fixed Channels

Indeed, as per the thread that was linked to, this is looking like the same Radio WiFi problem I experience.
                        The only known fix is to change your WiFi access point to use a fixed channel, with a limited channel bandwidth.
                        The Boom probably uses a different WiFi chip and therefore different driver firmware/software than the Radio, so that will explain why it's ok and the Radio isn't.

Comment

• Heuer
                          • Nov 2005

i have had the problem with one of my Boom's but not the other.

Comment

• avalerio
                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by JoeMuc2009
                            The SB radio does not have a dedicated Wi-Fi board. Like the Touch and unlike previous models, the Wi-Fi chip is soldered to the radio's main board. I have one here that won't connect wirelessly at all whereas all other functionality is fine.
                            The chip is not easily replaced, I think it might even be a BGA soldered chip which leaves it to high experts and gurus to replace successfully. Sorry man but it's probably not coming back. You might help yourself with an external Wi-Fi to Ethernet bridge because that will probably keep working.
                            If you actually want to open the Radio, I can give you some instructions. Chances are very very slim though that this gets you anywhere.
                            Cheers
                            Joe

Gesendet von meinem STK-LX1 mit Tapatalk
                            Hi Joe, I'd like to see those instructions on how to open the Radio.

Thanks,
                            Al

Comment

• Tony T
                              • Nov 2009

After years of no connection issues, all 4 of my SB Radios (but not my Touch) suddenly keeps dropping WiFi and only a reboot fixes it for about 15 minutes. Fixed channel didn’t help. I had a Google WiFi, and replaced it with an ASUS to get greater control of the router, including setting a fixed channel. I have a LOT of neighbors WiFi near me, so I concluded that it was interference from neighbors that are working from home that have changed/upgraded their routers.
                              My only solution was to get a WiFi to Ethernet adaptor and set it as an Access Point (https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post981790)
                              Last edited by Tony T; 2020-07-13, 13:54.
                              Tony
                               SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬

Comment

Working...