Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Impact to SD card when installing LMS

Hi,

One of the great benefits of using piCorePlayer is that it's fundamentally read only, so is unlikely to wear out the SD card, or corrupt it if the pi is turned off without shutting down first. If LMS is installed on top of piCorePlayer, does this make a difference? I would imagine there would be a lot more disk activity when using LMS. If this could affect the SD card, is there a way to install LMS in a different mount point, potentially a USB drive?

Thanks,
    Ian
    Last edited by pag; 2020-06-19 at 07:24.

Quote Originally Posted by pag View Post
    Hi,

One of the great benefits of using piCorePlayer is that it's fundamentally read only, so is unlikely to wear out the SD card, or corrupt it if the pi is turned off without shutting down first. If LMS is installed on top of piCorePlayer, does this make a difference? I would imagine there would be a lot more disk activity when using LMS. If this could affect the SD card, is there a way to install LMS in a different mount point, potentially a USB drive?

Thanks,
    Ian
    once a HDD is mounted to the rPi and LMS installed, one can choose to move the LMS cache from the SD card to the HDD. This reduces (eliminates??) write activity on the SD card.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.3>Squeezelite
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by pag View Post
    Hi,
    I would imagine there would be a lot more disk activity when using LMS. If this could affect the SD card, is there a way to install LMS in a different mount point, potentially a USB drive?

Thanks,
    Ian
    When using the LMS on pCP it's recommended to shutdown properly, regardles of whatever it is installed upon.

You can use a usb stick or hard drive if you wish, instead of a SD card.

Although it's not like SD cards only last a week or so I'v never had one wear out yet and any minotr corruption (normally of the OS itself, by messing about) has been resolved with an overwrite format using the approved app

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/index.html

feel free to worry though

ronnie

Impact to SD card when installing LMS

I've been running my pCP based LMS on the same SD card for three or four
    years without a hiccup. Yes, it might give up at some point, but it's
    easy enough to backup it up and re-deploy. Easier than handling
    additional storage devices. Not to mention that USB sticks aren't any
    more robust than SD cards.

--

Michael

LMS on SD card

just to confirm what Michael says - I too have been running LMS and PiCorePlayer on the same SD cards for over 3 years with never a problem, and what is more, when necessary, I just switch it off and on again to reboot rather than trying to shut down gracefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Although it's not like SD cards only last a week or so
    +1 on this, although mine's only been running since end of 2018.

It's comforting if the write intensive part is placed on a drive (not the SD-card used for booting) and I've mentioned in the past that some failover procedure in case of a drive failure would be a cool added feature.

/Claus

Quote Originally Posted by cfuttrup View Post
    I've mentioned in the past that some failover procedure in case of a drive failure would be a cool added feature./Claus
    You're right, so I have on my network 2 full separate copies of LMS active on two different servers. Granted failover is not automatic but, All are on reserved IP addresses so I have favorite links in all my browsers, switching is no big deal. If I have a failure it's either a OS upgrade failure or hardware, either way LMS music availability is not an issue.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.3 Official on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.3 Official on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

Hi w3wilkes

It's an interesting work-around, not failover on the drive, but the entire LMS server <G>

/Claus

What I would recommend.

• Use quality SD cards, 8GB should be more than enough for pCP and a big LMS cache.
    • Make sure you have a good power supply
    • install pCP, and expand the pCP partition from the web interface to about 500MB. 500MB is plenty big enough for all of the extension and to allow room for upgrades.
    • Manually create a 3rd partition on the SD card to fill the rest of the sdcard, and format it ext3.
    • Then set LMS to use that 3rd partition for the cache/prefs.

This way any possible corruption to the 3rd partition will not prevent pCP from starting.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    What I would recommend.

• Use quality SD cards, 8GB should be more than enough for pCP and a big LMS cache.
    • Make sure you have a good power supply
    • install pCP, and expand the pCP partition from the web interface to about 500MB. 500MB is plenty big enough for all of the extension and to allow room for upgrades.
    • Manually create a 3rd partition on the SD card to fill the rest of the sdcard, and format it ext3.
    • Then set LMS to use that 3rd partition for the cache/prefs.

This way any possible corruption to the 3rd partition will not prevent pCP from starting.
    Interesting idea Paul, but how would you set LMS to use the 3rd partition? In the PcP UI I only see the options for PcP boot disk and mounted disks. Would you have to "mount" the third partition? If so, PcP would auto detect it?

Forgive me if i'm overlooking something simple...

Jim