Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just to wrap this up, I gave up on running the RPi 3B's USB output into the Bel Canto C5i.

I ended up taking the HiFiBerry Digi+Pro hat off of its RPi 3B and moved it over to the RPi with the screen and the pCP OS. The Digi+Pro has a coax feed out into the Bel Canto's DAC. This works perfectly with no hiccups and allows the Bel Canto to play material up to 192KHz. It did take some tinkering and resets to switch the pCP over to the new output but everything seems to be working now.

Did you experiment with the "USB Audio tweaks" on the [Tweaks] page?

Not sure I understand your question. No, I do not have music playing constantly. I'll have a listening session and then empty the playlist in LMS and move on to whatever is next -- work, sleep, TV, grocery store, etc. However, nothing is turned off. When I come back for some more listening, I simply pick what I want to hear and play it. That's when the USB is wonky as described.

I was thinking about this, from the user manual

Front Panel Digital Lock Indicator:When no digital input signal is present on a selectedinput,the first decimal point on the display will blink on and off. For example the display will show: .65.0and the first decimal point will be slowly blinking. If this occurs,check that the correct input is selected and then check that the digital sourceis connected, active and functioning correctly.Once a digital signal is present, the first decimal point will remain constantly lit.
    The suggestion behind my clumsy question

Does the pCP player connecting via the usb always have content playing through it ?

ronnie
    is that maybe leaving the rpi playing (ie a constant stream of data) would keep the usb reciever locked on as the reconnection seems to be the flaky part.

What sometimes matters is the usb recieving module itself, some makes don't always fit with all transmitters.

Someone on another thread here, reported a problem with a rpi usb output and an integrated pre-amp/dac which used a usb module from a company beginning with A (can't remember the exact name).

Anyways I see you have resolved your problem, which is a good thing

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    Did you experiment with the "USB Audio tweaks" on the [Tweaks] page?
    Yes, but nothing really changed. However, as just noted above, adding the HiFiBerry Digi+Pro hat to the player solved all of the issues. The player is very stable now, fires up immediately on demand and is responsive to all commands. And it sounds good.

Not much more to ask for in my book.