Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PiCoreplayer USB finicky

I decided to try the Picoreplayer 6 with the USB out. The DAC is in a Bel Canto C5i. LMS runs on a Linux PC and has been very stable for many years.

It took a little work on the settings to get it running, but it does sound good. I have a SB Radio and two RPis with HiFiBerry hats. One of the RPI with a digital out had been used with the Bel Canto without problems.

The issue is the PCP doesn't stay consistently available. The next day, the PCP will be missing from the LMS list of players even though one can still access the PCP on its web page at the RPi's IP address. To fix this, I have to restart the RPi. Just restarting Squeezelite doesn't do it.

The Bel Canto C5i remains on and power to the PCP and other equipment also remains on all the time.

Any suggestions as to why the PCP "disappears" and has to be restarted before I can start playing music? I'd like to switch from the RPi/Hifiberry player to the PCP but its inability to reliably start up after sitting for a while makes an issue for this plan.

Are you running wifi? Can you describe your network setup?
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Yes, it is a wifi setup for this player.

The LMS PC is hardwired to a gigabit network. The RPi/PCP player has a wireless connection, but is only about 3 feet from the router. I have no other devices in the house that have wireless connectivity problems. (I have a Roku player and a SB Radio at the far end of the house that have no problem staying connected.)

As noted, I can always bring up the RPi/PCP player's web page on a browser without a problem, it is just the player itself loses contact with LMS. I've had no problems with the RPi/HiFiBerry player that is connected to the same DAC.

If you are using a rpi4b, try one of the two usb2 sockets

ronnie

The PCP player is on a RPi 3B+. Not sure I want to go to the effort to switch out to a RPi 4. I'd note there is no sound quality difference between the HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro output and the PCP USB output (when the latter is running.) So, it is just a matter of how much I want the visual extras the PCP gives, since it has the 7" RPi display.

Quote Originally Posted by mlsstl View Post
    The PCP player is on a RPi 3B+. Not sure I want to go to the effort to switch out to a RPi 4. I'd note there is no sound quality difference between the HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro output and the PCP USB output (when the latter is running.) So, it is just a matter of how much I want the visual extras the PCP gives, since it has the 7" RPi display.
    I'm not suggesting that you buy a rpi4b.

Man in a van If you are using a rpi4b, try one of the two usb2 sockets
    It's just that there have been some reports on the raspberrypi forum of the USB3 connectors and the internal wireless not getting along.
    It was a suggestion

ronnie

Is the USB DAC always powered up? If you power cycle the DAC, you will need to power cycle pCP. Or get fancy with other scripting.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Is the USB DAC always powered up? If you power cycle the DAC, you will need to power cycle pCP. Or get fancy with other scripting.
    No, the DAC (part of a Bel Canto C5i integrated amp) stays on all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by mlsstl View Post
    No, the DAC (part of a Bel Canto C5i integrated amp) stays on all the time.
    Does the pCP player connecting via the usb always have content playing through it ?

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Does the pCP player connecting via the usb always have content playing through it ?

ronnie
    Not sure I understand your question. No, I do not have music playing constantly. I'll have a listening session and then empty the playlist in LMS and move on to whatever is next -- work, sleep, TV, grocery store, etc. However, nothing is turned off. When I come back for some more listening, I simply pick what I want to hear and play it. That's when the USB is wonky as described.

Interestingly, I switched the PCP back to analog output and the player is now responsive with no problem of coming back on immediately after it has been sitting a while.

I think what I'll end up doing is moving my HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro Hat over to the PCP player and run it that way.

In digging deeper, I've also found the USB input on my Bel Canto C5i is version 1.1 and doesn't support rates over 96KHz. In short, I just think the RPi3 / C5i combo is just too flakey for the USB interface. No need to beat my head against the wall when the HFBerry Hat works perfectly,