Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

protocolhandler just stops playing... please help.

Hi,

I've re-started a plugin I started 4+ years ago but never finished and have a question about some behavior I wasn't expecting.

Background:
    I have a plugin handler derived from IO::Handle.
    I'm trying to stream audio from another device as an infinite stream of audio chunks, being read by sysread.
    I'm returning true (1) for isRepeatingStream
    I can start playback and everything goes well for a time.

One thing I think is weird: after about 35 minutes (and approximately every 35 minutes thereafter), the protocol handler gets re-created by LMS with the same URL even if I do nothing.

I'm not sure that's supposed to happen or why it's happening... but it's causing me some difficulty.

Is there a way for me to detect when the protocol handler is being created and why?
    s this supposed to happen, or did I do something in my plugin that's causing this behavior?

I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer me...

Thanks in advance!

protocolhandler just stops playing... please help.

> I'm returning true (1) for isRepeatingStream

I think that's wrong: isRepeatingStream is being used by services where
    one URL would play a number of independent tracks. LMS then would at the
    end of every track ask the protocol handler to provide a new URL to get
    the next track from.

From what I understand your solution is more of one "infinite" stream
    of audio data.

But you might want to provide a little more detail about your
    implementation. Incl. sample code.

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by littla View Post
    Hi,

I've re-started a plugin I started 4+ years ago but never finished and have a question about some behavior I wasn't expecting.

Background:
    I have a plugin handler derived from IO::Handle.
    I'm trying to stream audio from another device as an infinite stream of audio chunks, being read by sysread.
    I'm returning true (1) for isRepeatingStream
    I can start playback and everything goes well for a time.

One thing I think is weird: after about 35 minutes (and approximately every 35 minutes thereafter), the protocol handler gets re-created by LMS with the same URL even if I do nothing.

I'm not sure that's supposed to happen or why it's happening... but it's causing me some difficulty.

Is there a way for me to detect when the protocol handler is being created and why?
    s this supposed to happen, or did I do something in my plugin that's causing this behavior?

I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer me...

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > I'm returning true (1) for isRepeatingStream

I think that's wrong: isRepeatingStream is being used by services where
    one URL would play a number of independent tracks. LMS then would at the
    end of every track ask the protocol handler to provide a new URL to get
    the next track from.

From what I understand your solution is more of one "infinite" stream
    of audio data.

But you might want to provide a little more detail about your
    implementation. Incl. sample code.

--

Michael
    As Michael said, if I remember, it's made so that if you want to have a single track but that "track" still ends and you want to change it (get a new one) everytime it does end, while not having a new $song object created, then isRepeatingStream(1) lets the getNextTrack update being called and your plugin takes care of updating "the" track info. It's different from a webradio where it's a single track that never ends but metadata can be updated by (eg) icy.
    LMS 7.9 on Pi 3B+ & Odroid-C2 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, Riva 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by littla View Post
    A long time ago - when doing another plugin I remember a link used to reset after about 32 (or 23) mins - it was due to the maximum value of 32 bit sample count in a WAV header which affected Flac compression.

More details on all aspects of the plugin would help - as the problem may not be where you think it is.